Hi All,

First off I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, as you can tell I'm new.

I've yet to own a cell phone, and I've decided I want a Blackberry. I've been looking for used unlocked Blackberry's as I don't want to drop $500 (CAD) for a phone. I'm talking to someone right now willing to part with their unlocked Torch 9800 for $350 (CAD). I've also contacted quite a few people offering $350 (CAD) for their Bold 9780's but won't get a response till tomorrow.

Should I take the plunge and grab the Torch for $350? It's the cheapest I've seen it locked or unlocked, and wanted to see how it compares with other prices anybody else has seen it at.

What do you think?
    12-31-10 10:36 PM
    $350 seems like a decent price, if the phone is in good condition. Check eBay and Craigslist and see what they're going for in other markets.

Well when I say $350 I'm thinking USD. I'm not sure how that converts over to CAD.
    01-01-11 12:41 AM
    $350 seems like a decent price, if the phone is in good condition. Check eBay and Craigslist and see what they're going for in other markets.

Well when I say $350 I'm thinking USD. I'm not sure how that converts over to CAD.
    It's not that the currency is much different - but almost everything is harder to find in Canada for decent prices. Thanks for the response.
    01-01-11 12:57 AM
    That seems like a decent price, but if you've never had a cellphone before, go over to Virgin Mobile and get set up with them. On SUPERTAB, and NO CONTRACT you pay $179 for the Torch.

Unlocking will cost <$20 through any of the unlockers that post here. I personally used cellunlock.net and used the discount code offered to crackberry users.

So for about $200 CDN + taxes you're up and running.

You can walk out of a Bell or Rogers store for about the same amount, but you'd be LOCKED IN to a 3 year contract.

Going this route also ensures you have full warranty on the phone.
    Last edited by skwij; 01-01-11 at 08:35 AM.
    01-01-11 08:32 AM
    That seems like a decent price, but if you've never had a cellphone before, go over to Virgin Mobile and get set up with them. On SUPERTAB, and NO CONTRACT you pay $179 for the Torch.

Unlocking will cost <$20 through any of the unlockers that post here. I personally used cellunlock.net and used the discount code offered to crackberry users.

So for about $200 CDN + taxes you're up and running.

You can walk out of a Bell or Rogers store for about the same amount, but you'd be LOCKED IN to a 3 year contract.

Going this route also ensures you have full warranty on the phone.
    Good point.

However, it's still the same situation as a contract, the exception (which is nice) is I am able to leave Virgin anytime I want if I pay the renaming balance - like a contract exit fee. I'll spend a few hours looking into it today to see if Virgin is the provider I want to go with. If it is, that's likely what I'll do.
    01-01-11 02:39 PM
    $350 is a really good price for buying a phone out right.
    01-01-11 09:13 PM
    Good point.

However, it's still the same situation as a contract, the exception (which is nice) is I am able to leave Virgin anytime I want if I pay the renaming balance - like a contract exit fee. I'll spend a few hours looking into it today to see if Virgin is the provider I want to go with. If it is, that's likely what I'll do.
    The monthly rates are less money for more goodies with just about anyone other than Rogers or Bell, too.
    01-01-11 10:48 PM
    I've pulled a 180 since the time I created this thread. I've convinced myself that the Bold 9780 suits me better than the Torch. The price difference (thoug small) helps as well.

The monthly rates are less money for more goodies with just about anyone other than Rogers or Bell, too.
    Pending an email back from Wind Mobile - though I've already called to confirm compatibility, I'll be buying a used unlocked 9780 and going with the $40 unlimited everything plan before it expires on the 5th.

If for whatever reason this way isn't going to work out, I will be choosing Virgin.

Thanks again for all the help guys and girls.
    01-01-11 11:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD