So I would like input of any and all kinds here. I'm very open to suggestions.

I've been with Sprint for 2 years now and contract has been up since June. I'm at a point where I can afford a new phone, no price limit. I know, rare in this economy. I want to switch carriers. Either AT&T or Verizon. I need better and more consistent coverage. Sprint's EVDO data on my 8330 is great... when I get it.

It seems like we are in a weird waiting period for new phones from AT&T and Verizon. AT&T we are waiting on the Bold 9700 and Verizon the Storm 2. I can't decide which provider but am leaning towards AT&T.

Then, can't decide if I want the 8900 or 9000. EDGE vs. 3G. Or thinking should I wait for the 9700? Then I saw an article on CNN saying the iPhone is bogging down AT&T's network and they just received the lowest rating in a customer satisfaction survey. That sounds odd because I thought AT&T was the coveted provider to be with. No?

If iPhones are bogging down the 3G on AT&T's network, would I be better off just getting the 8900? Or what about Verizon? It's either Tour or Storm/Storm 2.

You see where I'm in a decision dilemma? Yes I can wait, I am in no rush. I can live with Sprint for now. But I want to make the right decision if I'm going to sign on with a provider for 2 years and drop $200 - $300 on a phone.
    10-05-09 07:57 AM
    I personally would wait for the Storm 2. Its supposed to be pretty cool and I'm almost positive that its going to be dual CDMA and GSM so if you go overseas, there shouldn't be an issue. ATTs network has been boggled down because of the iPhone. The iPhones usage draws about three or four times the amount a BB does. Basically network wise, for every iPhone, it is equivalent to about three or four BB with data.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-05-09 08:30 AM
    I agree, if you like touchscreen, wait for Storm 2, but definitely run with VZW if you want great coverage.
    10-05-09 08:33 AM
    Verizon is going to give you the best nation wide coverage. Of course certain areas will have better service with one or the other. But my sons have att and I get service in a lot more places than they do. I travel through out the lower 48 and there aren't many places I can't get service espeacially since the merger with alltel(I was an alltel customer). Alltel was better in my opinion but that is a mute point now. Att probably offers a better selection of devices but if coverage nation wide is important to you I would recommend vz. They not only have the upcoming S2 but also have the tour. So depending on your preference of touch screen or key board vz will offer a great device.

10-05-09 08:52 AM
    Thanks everyone for the input so far! I'll let this thread soak all day today and check back later.
    10-05-09 09:04 AM
    If you check the at&t web site, from time to time they have great deals on refurbished BB. Last week the 8900 was $9.99!!!
    10-05-09 09:21 AM
    i would wait. several new phones being announced. dont want to get locked down with a new contract, upgrade now to a 8900 or 9000, and then have to pay full retail when the new BBs come out ...
    10-05-09 10:14 AM
    AT&T has HSPA though, which is WAY faster than EvDO, plus the 9700 is rockin'!

The 9550 is cool for Vz, but no keyboard. The Tour is the current top of the heap in BlackBerries, but alas, has no WiFi.

I personally would wait for the Storm 2. Its supposed to be pretty cool and I'm almost positive that its going to be dual CDMA and GSM so if you go overseas, there shouldn't be an issue.
    Yeah, but since the REST of the WORLD uses GSM (except for small parts of Asia), you can travel with ANY BB
    And yes, it will be Quad-band GSM/Double(or tripple... I forget)-band UMTS + CDMA/EvDO...
    10-05-09 10:43 AM
    I would check your coverage in your area if at&t has 3G there I would get the 9700 while I know you will be locked down on it for 2 years, when they roll out HSPA upgrades you should see better data performance like the guy on the last post mentioned AT&T's 3G can beat Verizons EVDO only if it is implemented right, and the network is working fine. I also know if you are looking for good devices, I would wait for the 9700 and strom2 to come out and check them both out. I believe most devices that are solid come to more GSM carriers then CDMA (just my 2 cents) but I also know the rumored essex (tour2?) and Dakota/Magnum (bold2/touchscreen?) is heating up because the specs on the Dakota/Magnum KILLS the ESSEX I love the fact I heard they might change the camera on the dakota to a liquid lens kind. Its all up to you, I just say do whats better for you.
    10-05-09 10:59 AM
    While there are a lot of great devices in the pipeline you can't keep waiting for the latest greatest device. You have to choose one that suits your needs now. There will always be a better device coming. If you wait for each and every one you will be looking for a pay phone. Too much phone envy.

10-05-09 11:14 AM
    I also know the rumored essex (tour2?) and Dakota/Magnum (bold2/touchscreen?) is heating up because the specs on the Dakota/Magnum KILLS the ESSEX...
    According to Sal (and if anyone knows, it's Sal, the Ultimate Crackberry Ninja), the Essex is several months away from release, and the Dakota is after that...

While there are a lot of great devices in the pipeline you can't keep waiting for the latest greatest device. You have to choose one that suits your needs now. There will always be a better device coming. If you wait for each and every one you will be looking for a pay phone. Too much phone envy.
    EXACTLY.
    I thought about waiting for the Dakota, but I needed a new Berry now, so I picked up a 8900. Dakota later.... or maybe even Mr.T...
    10-05-09 11:44 AM
    I would really recommend waiting for the Storm 2 as well. I work for at&t and use VZW so I get a pretty good sample of both of the networks... Go with VZW...
    10-05-09 01:02 PM
    I would say go with Vzw; thats who I have and I live in a more rural area and I still have great data speeds and just amazing coverage in general.

In my area, ATT loves to advertise their 3G and wifi stuff but customers who live here get neither.
    10-05-09 01:27 PM
    Thanks for all the input everyone!
    10-06-09 12:57 AM
    Go to big red when the storm 2 rolls out.
    10-06-09 08:22 AM
    If you check the at&t web site, from time to time they have great deals on refurbished BB. Last week the 8900 was $9.99!!!
    what is the address of the site you find the deals on ? i had a look and couldn't seem to find this.

i'm sure i'm not doing something simple ... can you please provide a link ... or more instruction ?

many thanks!
    10-06-09 10:32 AM
    Here's AT&T's refurb store... not much right now...
    10-06-09 12:44 PM
    Price is not an issue and I"m not looking for a refurb, but thank you anyway. My priority when making a decision is quality of coverage and most up to date phone specs.
    10-07-09 03:16 AM
    I would say definitely go with Verizon over AT&T if those are the only carriers you're considering. AT&T's customer service is bad and I personally feel the prices could be better.

I was with AT&T for only a year and am back with Verizon, having had them for 8 years before. I use the Curve 8330 and rarely have problems with browsing speed or call drops.

I was going to upgrade to the Tour but I've heard mixed things. Its apparently great for browsing and email with its speedy 3G capability, but some say they've returned theirs many times due to trackball failure. Still, might be something you'd want to check out. Also heard the trackball prob was recently resolved
    10-07-09 04:03 AM
    Love the tour, love verizon's coverage, love vzw's customer service. The only thing that could make it better was if my bill was cheaper every month lol. But I'd rather pay what I pay and get great customer service and coverage than always search for reception.

As for the storm 2, not sure if it's worth it but check it out when it launches.

Is vzw still rocking their buy a blackberry, get a phone promo?

10-07-09 08:12 AM
    Blackberry runs best in Verizon, Coverage and Service is the best!.... and they both got the same pricing plans!
    10-07-09 10:21 AM
    Being a user if att in new york metropolitan area I can say u can sleep well at night because the att 3g iphone taking up all of att bandwidth is exaggerated bullcrap. The only way you are going to slow down is when there is a high concentration of ppl in one area such as a concert all using 3g. Even in manhattan my 3g works flawlessly and I get 5 bars all over the city. Get the 9700 and enjoy it.

10-23-09 12:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD