I'm taking Design Art in college and yesterday while I was sitting in class I was looking around and saw that my teacher had Apple products all over her room (she also has an iPhone). She said the reason for having Apple products was for their Industrial Design and that's when I thought about the above quote. Every indoctrination I've read on BlackBerry calls it "the mobile leader of wireless tech innovation" which to my understanding means they started the true smartphone evolution (Apple started a revolution). From what I understand from the above quote, I believe it only implies to Google Android and Apple iOS. Android I see as an imitator (Good Artist Copy) because there's hardware that's been on BlackBerry's for way longer than Android and Samsung I count as being the biggest imitation of all because of Knox which I believe is just a cheap ripoff of Balance (my opinion, don't get mad). Now the thing about Apple is that they stole (Great Artist Steal) things and call it there's and you know what happens next. They took something that wasn't there's (Parallax) and called it their "innovation". They are the "Great Artist" because they appeal to the consumer. They make the consumers say "I need that" because of their designs. Now taking and adding Parallax to their software and flattening the apps (something WP already does) makes the phone art. I truly believe it's a work of art because it reminds me of one of Picasso's paintings (who also was the original quoter). To some it may not appear that way but to others it does. In a way Jony Ive has done something remarkable and artistic and I would believe that Steve Jobs would have been proud of it. This is just my opinion of what I thought about it. Thoughts???

Posted via my awesome Z(ed)10 \m/ YEAH!!!!
    08-22-13 12:28 PM
    When they showed off parallax earlier this year I don't recall any claim that it was innovative or "theirs", it was actually only mentioned as an aside while demoing iOS7 (one sentence if I remember correctly). Not to say they don't take ideas and run with them but this wasn't one of those. You could watch the keynote and confirm.
    bekkay and mikeo007 like this.
    08-22-13 01:20 PM
    webOS > PBOS and BB10 UI and features?

xandermac, pantlesspenguin and imz like this.
    08-22-13 01:59 PM
    So did BlackBerry steal the full touch screen, full html email, and app store ideas?
    08-22-13 02:02 PM
    "Good Artist Copy, Great Artist Steal"-picasso-no-banksy.gif

This convo is gonna end up beating a dead horse, everyone rips everyone off these days. It's not a matter if they did it, it's a matter of to what extent it was done.
    bekkay, h20work and eldricho like this.
    08-22-13 02:05 PM
    Don't give him a hard time, it was a good post. There are many many examples of Apple stealing ideas from others However I do not believe his intention is to pick on Apple rather than draw attention to the practice in general. All of these phone makers are guilty of stealing in one way or another. The fact that Apple "reinvented" the smart phone just gives them a little more leeway when they do it.

Sent from my 4s using TapaTalk
    bekkay likes this.
    08-22-13 02:05 PM
    I wasn't posting about who ripped off who but to give my understanding of the quote and on what I think is how every mobile platform apply to it. My point of Apple "stealing" ideas such as Parallax was more towards their artistic design of iOS7. Let's also remember that Apple didn't invent the touchscreen, IBM did. Apple just revolutionized the touchscreen (already said above). Android on the other hand is a different story though.

Posted via CB10
    xandermac and bekkay like this.
    08-22-13 02:28 PM
    So did BlackBerry steal the full touch screen, full html email, and app store ideas?
    HTML was already in the first BlackBerry. App store is actually the only thing Apple cab claim as theirs. Touchscreen was invented by International Business Machines (IBM), not Apple.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-13 02:33 PM
    App store is actually the only thing Apple cab claim as theirs.
    You think Apple was the first platform to sell apps?
    08-22-13 02:59 PM
    You think Apple was the first platform to sell apps?
    Who else? They're the ones who started the whole "app war". Every other platform of the time basically only had integrated apps already available.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-13 03:15 PM
    On device app store yes, but BB had themes and were sold in stores long before apple had theirs.
    08-22-13 03:21 PM
    Who else? They're the ones who started the whole "app war". Every other platform of the time basically only had integrated apps already available.

Posted via CB10
    Well, I was buying apps for my treo 650 from the mobihand store long before the iPhone came along and THEN it too another year for apple to even allow apps! By that time I was onto windows mobile and all the apps available for it. Speaking of the treo 650, that's where Apple stole most of the original iOS from.

08-22-13 03:25 PM
    Who else?
    I had a Handspring PDA years ago, and there were apps available for it. No centralized store, though.

Let's keep in mind that Apple has never claimed to have invented the touchscreen. But they were the first company to build a full touchscreen smartphone that actually worked well. Also, the iPhone almost singlehandedly shifted Google's Android focus from an OS that worked a lot like the BlackBerry's (complete with a track ball) to what they sell today, which is centered around touch input.
    08-22-13 03:27 PM
    I'm taking Design Art in college and yesterday while I was sitting in class I was looking around and saw that my teacher had Apple products all over her room (she also has an iPhone). She said the reason for having Apple products was for their Industrial Design and that's when I thought about the above quote. Every indoctrination I've read on BlackBerry calls it "the mobile leader of wireless tech innovation" which to my understanding means they started the true smartphone evolution (Apple started a revolution). From what I understand from the above quote, I believe it only implies to Google Android and Apple iOS. Android I see as an imitator (Good Artist Copy) because there's hardware that's been on BlackBerry's for way longer than Android and Samsung I count as being the biggest imitation of all because of Knox which I believe is just a cheap ripoff of Balance (my opinion, don't get mad). Now the thing about Apple is that they stole (Great Artist Steal) things and call it there's and you know what happens next. They took something that wasn't there's (Parallax) and called it their "innovation". They are the "Great Artist" because they appeal to the consumer. They make the consumers say "I need that" because of their designs. Now taking and adding Parallax to their software and flattening the apps (something WP already does) makes the phone art. I truly believe it's a work of art because it reminds me of one of Picasso's paintings (who also was the original quoter). To some it may not appear that way but to others it does. In a way Jony Ive has done something remarkable and artistic and I would believe that Steve Jobs would have been proud of it. This is just my opinion of what I thought about it. Thoughts???

Posted via my awesome Z(ed)10 \m/ YEAH!!!!

My thoughts? I want none of what you're smoking
    08-22-13 05:03 PM
    That quote is usually taken out of context, typically by those who like to point out that Apple rarely invent anything and just rips everyone off. The fact of the matter is, Apple excels at taking existing ideas and technologies, re-packages, improves, and re-makes them into something easy to use, consumer friendly, and in some cases, better than their original implementation.

Rene at iMore had a great blog post on point: Great artists steal | iMore

Using the app store example. Those of us who've been around during the Palm and Windows Mobile days of the early 2000s remember when apps were things you could buy off 3rd party stores (ie. Mobihand) or direct from a developer's web site. Often for $15-$30 a pop. What Apple did was take that idea and consolidate it into a 1st party integrated solution.
    08-22-13 05:41 PM
    Apple have always marketed cleverly to artistic types. Apple equipment has always been designed to grace the home where say a windows pc has always been a tool. The problem with this artistic endorsement - it's a bit like saying Kate Moss is a better artist than michaelangelo?

Posted via CB10
    08-22-13 06:25 PM
    Look at popular phones when the iPhone hit the market. Look at popular phones now. There really isn't anything else to say.
    08-22-13 06:29 PM

Posted via CB10
    Not true. Symbian, for example, had third-party apps long before Apple and Blackberry.
    08-22-13 07:28 PM
    That quote is usually taken out of context, typically by those who like to point out that Apple rarely invent anything and just rips everyone off. The fact of the matter is, Apple excels at taking existing ideas and technologies, re-packages, improves, and re-makes them into something easy to use, consumer friendly, and in some cases, better than their original implementation.

Rene at iMore had a great blog post on point: Great artists steal | iMore

Using the app store example. Those of us who've been around during the Palm and Windows Mobile days of the early 2000s remember when apps were things you could buy off 3rd party stores (ie. Mobihand) or direct from a developer's web site. Often for $15-$30 a pop. What Apple did was take that idea and consolidate it into a 1st party integrated solution.
    This is what I was trying to convey here "Apple?s singular talent is taking existing technologies, putting them together in ways that are elegant and sensible, well packaged and integrated, and making them mainstream." Apple, like Picasso, took things, put them together and made a masterpiece from it which is why they sale more. The Apple iPhone is a work of art. Thanks for that. I guess Rene Ritchie knew all along.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-13 07:58 PM
    Apple have always marketed cleverly to artistic types. Apple equipment has always been designed to grace the home where say a windows pc has always been a tool. The problem with this artistic endorsement - it's a bit like saying Kate Moss is a better artist than michaelangelo?

Posted via CB10
    Thank you. At least someone gets it. This post wasn't meant to say who ripped off who but to show how Apple went about taking things and making it their own in an artistic way. The iPhone isn't just a product it's a piece of ART. A modern day Picasso masterpiece.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-13 08:04 PM
    OP: I think you over think that quote.

Everybody steals and copy's from everybody. It's part of progress. Where I think Apple does a better job than anybody else, is that when they do it, they really improve upon the original, their product has a certain intent, that I like.

Let me explain it this way: Whenever you see Samsung or HP get "inspired" by others, you can tell that the purpose is to get a checkmark on a particular specsheet, and to sell some more products. Apple products on the other hand, seem to have been designed with real desire to improve and intent to do a particular job. They're one of a few companies really, that really put an effort and thought into a design.

Other products tend to be designed to sell. Apple products tend to be designed to be used and to delight.

As for that quote, don't read too much into it. Picasso and Steve Jobs both liked to provoke people...
    Jerale Hoard likes this.
    08-22-13 08:29 PM
    OP: I think you over think that quote.

Everybody steals and copy's from everybody. It's part of progress. Where I think Apple does a better job than anybody else, is that when they do it, they really improve upon the original, their product has a certain intent, that I like.

Let me explain it this way: Whenever you see Samsung or HP get "inspired" by others, you can tell that the purpose is to get a checkmark on a particular specsheet, and to sell some more products. Apple products on the other hand, seem to have been designed with real desire to improve and intent to do a particular job. They're one of a few companies really, that really put an effort and thought into a design.

Other products tend to be designed to sell. Apple products tend to be designed to be used and to delight.

As for that quote, don't read too much into it. Picasso and Steve Jobs both liked to provoke people...
    Well that's a much better way of putting it. My post/thread wasn't meant to say who ripped off who. It was just something I thought of while I was in Design class.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-13 08:33 PM
    I had a Handspring PDA years ago, and there were apps available for it. No centralized store, though.
    Yeah, there were apps already available on it but not a store to buy more from. Apple started the "app war" by having the first App Store available for devs to sale their apps.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-13 08:42 PM
    "Apps" is just another less stuffy, more trendy word for programs. As soon as the handheld computers and phones became powerful enough to run them, programs showed up for the good ol' Palms and Handsprings.

The AppStore is actually a really good example of what Apple does best. They took two things that already existed: The mobile application and online store, and made it into something new and innovative that was bigger than the sum of its parts: The AppStore.

So yeah. Just like touch screens and cellphones had existed before the iPhone, but Apple was the first to put it together and revolutionize the market, neither the online store nor the mobile application were invented by Apple.

But they revolutionized the software and computer industry by taking the two, and implementing them into a secure, convenient and discoverable solution.
    bekkay likes this.
    08-22-13 09:28 PM
    Yeah, there were apps already available on it but not a store to buy more from. Apple started the "app war" by having the first App Store available for devs to sale their apps.

Posted via CB10
    There were app stores. Mobihand being one And I forget the others I used to use. They have all since shut down. Mobihand Being the most recent to shut down last year I believe. So Apple can be given the credit for putting those others out of business I suppose.

08-23-13 05:06 AM
27 12