Golflogix GPS is finally available for the Storm. I've been waiting for this, because they are the only golf GPS, standalone or mobile, that has all the local courses i play. Free one day trial, 40 bucks yrly afterwards. I downloaded it, and if the weather holds up, i plan on going out for a round later. if i do, i'll be back with a review. Fair warning though, i'm horrific. So hopefully some members with lower handicaps than myself will post some reviews as well.
    08-27-09 10:40 AM
    I actually just put it on my bold and I have a tee time in 3 hours. Hopefully the rain doesn't come (it is supposed to rain here) but I will give a review. I know the yardages of my course pretty well so we will see how it stacks up on the bold!
    08-27-09 11:42 AM
    Been looking forward to this one for a bit. Seen some reviews on the iPhone saying that the distances can be a little bit off with people comparing it with their PinSeekers. Hopefully I will get a chance to test this weekend.
    08-27-09 12:52 PM
    I tried it last weekend on my Bold. I found it to be very slow 20-30 seconds to change distances as I moved from one position to another. I know it isn't the Bold's GPS because I get much faster responses using Intelligolf or Greenfinder. I used it for about 5 holes, deleted the application and went back to Intelligolf. The Intelligolf display isn't as good and you or someone else has to input the golf course (although doing this on Google Maps is pretty quick) but the scoring program is much better.
    08-27-09 03:46 PM
    I will be using it at Fellows Creek tomorrow, will let you know how it goes, I also have Greenfinder on my storm, I will compare them while I am there.
    08-27-09 11:53 PM
    I used it yesterday and paid for the year membership today. I really liked the program. Each hole is shown in the background, yardage was accurate. Water, hazards and layups were accurate. I did not get to involved with the stat tracking it looked interesting though. I deleted BBgolf and greenfinder today also as this program had all of my courses. The graphics were a lot nicer than other programs I tried. Battery lasted fine, we had a foursome and took 4 hours to play 18. Memory did not drain bad. Over all I really like the program, would recommend.
    08-29-09 05:21 PM
    I am glad to hear this because i am looking forward to using it, it is the only app i have found that has any courses near me.

Keep the reviews coming.

Jason
    08-30-09 12:46 PM
    Cannot wait to try this. I have the standalone unit and love it. I really would like a trial longer than one day.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-09 03:40 PM
    A little help needed with this App if possible. I'm on vodafone in the U.K running the latest BB software 4.7. When opening the golflogix app i get the fault " network error, cannot find the host."
    The app then shuts itself down.
    I have allowed all permissions for the app to work in the settings. I don't have any bother using any other app that requires GPS.
    Any help would be gratefully appreciated. I have contacted Golflogix themselves without much luck in response.
    thankyou in advance!
    08-31-09 05:01 AM
    Tried it out yesterday at a local course and was pretty impressed. took golflogix advice and lowered my brightness to about 40%. disabled my phone and sms alerts which helped conserve battery life. My golf partner was using the standalone golflogix unit and comparing distances it was virtually the same. I found that it's better to disable entering the stats while playing because it gets tedious entering it and probably slows down play, however i made notes on my scorecard and I was able to edit my round. Didn't use measure my shot because as a high handicapper I didn't get much in the fairway, but I felt it was valuable for approach iron shots from 175 to the green. If the distance was recorded 175 and higher I knew to use the 3-5 wood. All in all I probably shaved 3-5 strokes off my round making better club selections based upon displayed distances.
    Final verdict-I think this is the best of all storm golf gps apps so far which I'll probably subscribe to:

a) has all my courses mapped out already
    b) seemed engineered for the storm ground up
    c) has longevity and experience in the field, probably with good customer support
    d) priced competitively with similar apps
    e) graphically superior to the competition

I'd like to hear some more user feedback

Van Duke
    08-31-09 08:59 AM
    Ok, i've used it a few times now. I did the one day trial, and subscribed the next day. Now personally, i havent tried any of the standalone units, so i cant really compare to them to be honest. But for me, i was happy with it. it seemed pretty accurate, as accurate as any others from what ive heard, excluding a pinseeker. I didnt find it to be slow at all. Definitley helps when choosing clubs. the two negatives for me were the battery life, and the club logging. Looking at the amount of battery used for playing 9 holes, i would barely make it for 18 with a fully charged phone. Now, i may have to try the tip from another poster about lowering the screen brightness, but disabling the phone i probably wont try. the other thing i was surprised about was if you are using the shot measuring function, where you go to log your clubs, the only option is Hybrid, not 2h, 3h, 4h, etc. Everyone i play rounds with that uses hybrids, has more than one, including myself. I'm sure that can easily be fixed with an update. overall, i'm very happy with it. 40 bucks a year, unlimited courses as opposed to 250-450 for a unit, plus either a $30 yrly sub rate, or 10 bucks each course for the callaway unit, and economically the golflogix gps just makes sense to me. Also, it is the only gps that has all the courses i play, including the one i live on hehehe. So, i'd reccommend it personally. I do agree with another poster, golflogix should have a longer trial period though.
    08-31-09 09:25 AM
    Well this gives me encouragement as I did read one or two less than handsome reviews on the iPhone version. Still waiting to play a round to test it. Life is so tough
    08-31-09 02:02 PM
    Used it yeterday on my storm. Liked the features, but kept getting a window asking if I wanted to exit the app. Would hit no and it would take 30 to 40 seconds to clear. Got tired of that and used greenfinder that I also had loaded. Has anyone else had this problem?
    08-31-09 02:09 PM
    tried it out last friday and could not get it to work
    my yardages were off compared to the cart gps and it would not change as i moved down the hole to the green
    i have had no luck emailing golflogix every link they sent my in their emails dosent work and when i tried the web site i got an error
    what kind of customer support is this
    anyone out there have any problems and were able to get the fixed and how did you get in touch with them to fix them

thanks in advance
    09-01-09 07:46 AM
    I use bbgpsgolf, it's free and has a large data base of courses. It's also quite accurate to within a few yards and if your course isn't in there you can add it, but I go to a little course in the middle of a corn field and it was in there so I imagine most courses would be.
    Last edited by durandetto; 09-01-09 at 08:11 AM. Reason: typo
    09-01-09 08:10 AM
    Used it yeterday on my storm. Liked the features, but kept getting a window asking if I wanted to exit the app. Would hit no and it would take 30 to 40 seconds to clear. Got tired of that and used greenfinder that I also had loaded. Has anyone else had this problem?

same thing happened to me a few times, but i was hitting the physical "back" button on my storm. instead, use the back button on the top left corner of the app to go to a previous page, works better.
    09-01-09 01:22 PM
    tried it out last friday and could not get it to work
    my yardages were off compared to the cart gps and it would not change as i moved down the hole to the green
    i have had no luck emailing golflogix every link they sent my in their emails dosent work and when i tried the web site i got an error
    what kind of customer support is this
    anyone out there have any problems and were able to get the fixed and how did you get in touch with them to fix them

thanks in advance

There are some tips on the website for golflogix. I've sent 2 emails to them so far. one i received a response for, the other they basically said to call the customer service number to speak with them directly. And no offense, but if i wanted to speak with them to begin with i would have called. either way, havent gotten around to calling them yet. Last night i downloaded os 191 on my storm, will see if golflogix works better, worse, or at all with the new leak.
    09-01-09 01:25 PM
    I used it Saturday and really liked it. I thought the distances were spot on and i liked being able to track my stats. Battery life sucked...made it through 6 holes. I changed my brightness to 20% around hole 4 but it was too far gone. I arrived at the course with 95% battery life. I emailed golflogix with this feedback and asked if i could have another 24 hour demo to see if i could make it through an entire round by adjusting the brightness. No response as of this evening. If you look on the Golflogix website they state that you should be able to make it through an entire round but they recommend buying a portable battery charger through their accesories section. I guess $40 for the subscription and $70 for the portable battery charger isnt too bad when compared to buying a stand alone unit for $200 plus.
    09-01-09 08:18 PM
    I used it Saturday and really liked it. I thought the distances were spot on and i liked being able to track my stats. Battery life sucked...made it through 6 holes. I changed my brightness to 20% around hole 4 but it was too far gone. I arrived at the course with 95% battery life. I emailed golflogix with this feedback and asked if i could have another 24 hour demo to see if i could make it through an entire round by adjusting the brightness. No response as of this evening. If you look on the Golflogix website they state that you should be able to make it through an entire round but they recommend buying a portable battery charger through their accesories section. I guess $40 for the subscription and $70 for the portable battery charger isnt too bad when compared to buying a stand alone unit for $200 plus.

Yeah, battery life is an issue. but not for me anymore. I downloaded .191 os the other day, and i went from 100% to 82 playing nine holes, with ubertwitter and aim also running at the same time. With the older os i was below 50 almost every time playing 9 holes, alone. Playing with others, i'd be below 40%. If you cant live without the missing components in .191, i'd say make sure make sure you dont have apps running in the background.
    09-03-09 10:29 AM
    I downloaded the trial and liked it quite a bit. The first time I used it, I didn't choose the option to turn off the backlight and had the brightness set at 100%. The battery was pretty much gone after 9. I later changed the brightness to 50% and made sure the option in GolfLogix to keep the backlight on was turned off...it lasted much longer. Played 10 holes and the battery still read 3 of 4 bars (or there abouts).

I'd like a few more stat tracking abilities like Intelligolf has, but for now this will suit me just fine, and I'll make suggestions for additions I'd like to see. The yardages seemed to be accurate.

Does anyone know how to change your score once you've entered it? Couldn't figure that one out...

The auto course finder has worked great so far.
    09-06-09 02:33 PM
    I downlaoded it today and tried it out. I liked it, keeping score did not slow me down. Yardage seemed accurate enough and after 18 holes had 40% battery life left. Running .151 OS and had the backlight at 30%.

After you quit a round, I can't find a way to edit a score card either. But if you don't end the round the score card can still be edited under statistices.
    09-06-09 07:52 PM
    I tried it, and seemed to work nicely, but I couldn't seem to change the option for turning the backlight off. I just couldn't get it to highlight the "off" option. It would stay on even if I went to my home page on the phone with golflogix running in the background. Because of this, my battery ran down very quickly. If I could change that option so the backlight would turn off, I would consider subscribing. Did anybody else run into this problem? Any idea how I can get that option to work? At this point my trial period is up, but if I knew for sure I could get the backlight to turn off, I would consider subscribing.
    Last edited by jep0617; 09-07-09 at 10:08 AM.
    09-07-09 10:04 AM
    I tried it, and seemed to work nicely, but I couldn't seem to change the option for turning the backlight off. I just couldn't get it to highlight the "off" option. It would stay on even if I went to my home page on the phone with golflogix running in the background. Because of this, my battery ran down very quickly. If I could change that option so the backlight would turn off, I would consider subscribing. Did anybody else run into this problem? Any idea how I can get that option to work? At this point my trial period is up, but if I knew for sure I could get the backlight to turn off, I would consider subscribing.
    I had a similar issue, I did a battery pull and after that was able to change the backlight option. Seems to be working now, will know better after the test round later today.
    09-08-09 01:53 AM
    Did the test round today, GolfLogix ran great. Compared it to an original Garmin based GolfLogix GPS-8 and the reading were the same at numerous check points. Battery life with the screen turned off except for 45 seconds when looking at a reading came ran about 50% give or take for an 18 hole 4 hour and 15 min round. Did not bother to turn off the cell phone radio so I don't think battery life is an issue as long as you don't leave the screen on all the time. I liked the screens on the BB better than the GPS-8, more info per screen. Did not try the scoring function at all, will do that another time.
    09-08-09 03:48 PM
    Identical experience... they shot me an email asking me to call them when I asked for another trial round... why don't they let you use it more than once... ******** if you ask me as I was only able to use it for 14 holes... with backlight turned down and 100% battery to start...

Does keeping it in the holster during play help?

If they figure out the battery drain issue I would buy it...
    09-10-09 10:21 AM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD