Anyone else experience this? I am on stock .330 through T-Mobile and seems like everything works still, but I am in an area where I bounce off At&t towers and can't check voicemail...and not sure how it would work if wife called me...as the signal is weak.

When I check the signal strength is good, but why would it keep bouncing around like that? I have reset and unplugged my router (Linksky 2.4g) more times than I care to remember.

Any ideas, is more an annoyance than anything.

Thanks for any help.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-10 02:00 AM
    There is an area in my house farthest from my router where I seem to have a week wireless signal. I have seen it go to from UMA to EDGE to GPRS. Even to edge.
    06-18-10 06:15 AM
    Could be the cable company, could be a network issue from TMO, could be any number of issues... once you drop UMA (and I'm hoping it's all caps and not lower case like you said in the title) then you are using the normal towers, which might also mean a local outage of some sort... did you call TMO???

Also, why are you going with the oldest Official OS from TMO??? Why not upgrade at least to the latest Official TMO OS of 5.0.0.586???
    06-18-10 06:17 AM
    Thanks for the reply.

Fatboy, I only typed it like that as for some reason Bolt was being stupid and wouldn't let me capitalize stuff unless I hit the button to capitalize each time, so was being lazy. (Would only do it in the title for some reason.)

I get UMA, EDGE and GPRS. Sorry for the confusion.

Everything seems to work, just strange as I got UMA for awhile and now doing this. I do have a network interference issue that comes up on the computer, but have no clue how to even diagnose that as I click on it and nothing happens.

I have my phone, Ps3, Wii and PsP all on it and is secure/locked network.

As far as the reason I haven't upgraded, I have went with the ole adage, don't fix or in this case "mess" with something that isn't broken.

If I can't get this solved, I will try upgrading.

To the other guy, I doubt it is being to far from the router as my apartment isn't excatly monstrous, lol!

Last edited by BoldtotheMax; 06-18-10 at 10:14 AM.
    06-18-10 10:11 AM
    By the way fatboy, I was getting full EDGE bars when I leave my apartment, so don't think it is a T-Mobile issue.

Something with the router is my guess...just no clue what else to do as I have reset and unplugged many times...

When you say Cable company, what do you mean? I do go through the cable company with my PC, landline and well cable.

06-18-10 10:19 AM
    By the way fatboy, I was getting full EDGE bars when I leave my apartment, so don't think it is a T-Mobile issue.

Something with the router is my guess...just no clue what else to do as I have reset and unplugged many times...

When you say Cable company, what do you mean? I do go through the cable company with my PC, landline and well cable.

At least most of the people I know in my area, and what I've used for years at home is a Wireless Router connected to a Cable modem, and then out to the Cable company that provides my cable TV and Internet. So I guess you don't have a Cable company... so whatever equipment and how your Wireless Router connects to to get to the internet... cable company, DSL, etc.

By the way, the reason TMO upgraded their OS from .330 was because there ARE things that are broken with the old OS and they found that this newer OS fixed those issues... I don't know what all those issue were but they felt an upgrade was what they needed... some of those might be related to your issues, but you will not know unless you upgrade.
    06-18-10 03:43 PM
    Go here: VoIP Speed Test - Broadband Bandwidth Test - Broadband Jitter Test

For consistent T-Mobile UMA your results *should* be as follows:
    Jitter - <10 ms (anything over 1 or 2 ms points to a potential connection problem, however, if you're using hardline internet)
    Packet loss - 0.0%
    Download/Upload - > 256 kbps
    Quality of Service - > 85%

Who is your ISP? If it is not cable, fiber, or DSL, it may not be reliable for UMA. We see a lot of customers using Clear(wire) that have issues, simply due to the slightly higher latency associated with wireless internet.

Also, the link in Fatboy's signature (UMA Guide) has some good and useful information. If you have more questions, feel free to PM me.
    06-18-10 07:29 PM
    I've seen that on my Flip. Sometimes it depends on the ebb and flow of the local cell tower signal. I've sat in one position talking on the phone for an hour, as the call weaves between UMA and EDGE.

06-20-10 05:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD