I'm going to get my 1st BB ever next month when I'm due for a new phone. I really like the Bold 9930 on Verizon. I've been using a Moto Q for many years and prefer a phone with a physical keyboard. From reading all the posts here it seems the Bold 99xx has the best one.

I'm a big gmail user and would really like to have the BB gmail app on my 9930. Unfortunately I just read that google will no longer be offering this app after Nov.22. Since I won't have my 9930 until after this date is there anyway to download this app now while it's still available and then transfer it from my Mac or PC to the 9930?

I know some people don't like the BB gmail app and will tell me to just use the BB email. But I'd really like at least to give the gmail app a try for a while.

thx!
    lenn
    11-09-11 09:41 PM
    You can probably set it up so that your emails come straight to your phone. I don't that with my college account and my hotmail account. 9900 is a good phone, lots of good things. Only thing i heard was battery isn't up to the usual BB standard. Its like that because they made the phone so thin.
    11-09-11 09:59 PM
    Thx for the reply.

I know that BB can handle email from gmail.com

I was asking how do I get the BB gmail app now so I can put it on my 9930 next month after google has pulled the app.

lenn
    11-09-11 10:37 PM
    Yes you can. The thing is that your gonna need the BB BEFORE Nov 22. If you do I can teach you how to back-up the app and software so you can treasure the app. Just PM me when you have the phone...... BEFORE NOV 22

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-09-11 11:09 PM
    I use Gmail on my 9900 using the Blackberry BIS and it works beautifully with OS7. I never bothered with the Gmail app and I don't think many others did too. I do use Google sync for my calendar and that works great. There's a tutorial on Crackberry about how to do this and it enabled me to sync my Google calendar with my wife's so if either of us make a change in our calendar on our 9900's it appears in the other 9900. How cool is that (for a real non-techie!)?
    11-10-11 04:10 AM
    I'd just use the BB email w/your Gmail account. Mine works perfectly with email, calendars and contacts. No need at all for the Google app.
    11-10-11 06:49 AM
    yeah I have it integrated with my BIS account. Works like a charm
    11-10-11 06:50 AM
    Get the white one!!!!
    11-10-11 07:00 AM
    I'm going to get my 1st BB ever next month when I'm due for a new phone. I really like the Bold 9930 on Verizon. I've been using a Moto Q for many years and prefer a phone with a physical keyboard. From reading all the posts here it seems the Bold 99xx has the best one.

I'm a big gmail user and would really like to have the BB gmail app on my 9930. Unfortunately I just read that google will no longer be offering this app after Nov.22. Since I won't have my 9930 until after this date is there anyway to download this app now while it's still available and then transfer it from my Mac or PC to the 9930?

I know some people don't like the BB gmail app and will tell me to just use the BB email. But I'd really like at least to give the gmail app a try for a while.

thx!
    lenn

I would assume you can side load the app, so downloading the app to your computer to side load it later might work,

as for wanting the BB Gmail app, Google has discontinued it because they have been changing gmail. I would suggest using BIS to set up your PUSH requirements for email, and using m.gmail.com to log in and access your gmail for specific tasks that you want out of gmail

as a user of a premium google apps account, I can say I never have wanted anything besides the native email for my email handling,
    11-10-11 09:10 AM
    Today when checking my gmail for the first time EVER on my phone (mobile site) I was impressed. It had beautiful effects and UI was clear and fast. I believe there is no reason to keep the gmail app

11-10-11 09:21 AM
    Don't forget that you can also set a home screen short cut that goes straight to the gmail website.

Makes the website into an app. Sort of.

11-10-11 09:40 AM
    Yea, but that icon will not show when i get a new gmail message.

I really wanted my gmail new message notification separate from the other email account notifications i will be putting on the BB. Is there anyway to do this? Or do I have to open the BB email app to see which account the new message refers too?

thx
    lenn
    11-10-11 11:49 AM
    lenn5 - Hi! Welcome to BB! .....well, soon anyway.

When you add any email account to your BB, a folder will appear on your home screen for that specific account. The notification will show up on the messages folder, but it should also show up on the folder for that specific account.

Hope this is helpful. I just got the 9900 on ATT yesterday and I'm loving it. Hope yours through Verizon will be just as amazing.
    11-10-11 01:08 PM
    Thx for the welcome and help ShoshiOne!

So each email account can have a separate folder on the home screen. That is good to know.

Looking forward to becoming a member of the BB community.

lenn
    11-10-11 02:29 PM

So each email account can have a separate folder on the home screen. That is good to know.

lenn
    I totally understand you wanting to try the gmail app to form your own opinion about it, I did also, I think I tried it 3 or 4 different times & every time I failed to find any extra functionality from it so I havent used it for a long time. Welcome to CB & hope you love your new phone, I sure love my 9930
    11-10-11 08:27 PM
    I'm sure you will find a solution for using Gmail with your Blackberry in some way you will like...
    Best thing that you are going to enjoy the best QWERTY Keyboard phone out there.. so welcome, and enjoy your Blackberry 9930
    11-11-11 07:04 AM

lenn
    No problem!

I'm about the opposite of you - I don't want the other emails to have their own place on my home screen so I always hide those folders and just use the messages folder.

It's an option to help please more people's tastes. Let us know when you get your phone and how you like it.

Shoshi
    11-11-11 10:43 AM
    Yea, but that icon will not show when i get a new gmail message.

I really wanted my gmail new message notification separate from the other email account notifications i will be putting on the BB. Is there anyway to do this? Or do I have to open the BB email app to see which account the new message refers too?

thx
    lenn
    Lenn, when you get your BlackBerry all you have to do is use the built-in BlackBerry Setup tool to add your Gmail account to your device. Forget about the app. Your Gmail account will receive emails immediately on your device. There will be a notification and you will be happy that you have push email. BlackBerry BIS has been updated with all sorts of wonderful features. Gmail is my main email account too. My mail is pushed to my device so quickly...I'm talking seconds! Plus, my Contacts and Calendar are synched automatically too. When I add a new Calendar event on my device it is also on my Google Calendar on my laptop almost immediately.

There was a time when I think the Gmail app might have been a necessity, but not anymore, in my opinion. Just add your Gmail account along with any other email accounts you have and be happy with the native email system.
    11-11-11 01:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD