So I will be in Germany relatively soon, if I just swap the sim card will it be good to go to work with German carriers? On that topic, does anyone know some good (read:cheap) phone companies? I'll probably text more than call/use data. I'm going from Canada to Germany, btw.

I have a 9300 3G.

Would I have to jailbreak it or something? halp i'm new

Thank you!
    Last edited by Snapply; 04-05-12 at 10:27 AM.
    04-05-12 10:22 AM
    So I will be in Germany relatively soon, if I just swap the sim card will it be good to go to work with German carriers? On that topic, does anyone know some good (read:cheap) phone companies? I'll probably text more than call/use data. I'm going from Canada to Germany, btw.

I have a 9300 3G.

Would I have to jailbreak it or something? halp i'm new

Thank you!
    It will need to be unlocked in order to work on another carrier.
    04-05-12 10:36 AM
    It will need to be unlocked in order to work on another carrier.
    ok, uh i checked the sim card screen, and typed in mped. It says everything is unlocked except service provider. This may be because I'm still with my phone company, will I have to do something to make that say disabled after I cancel with that company, or will it happen automatically?
    04-05-12 11:32 AM
    ok, uh i checked the sim card screen, and typed in mped. It says everything is unlocked except service provider. This may be because I'm still with my phone company, will I have to do something to make that say disabled after I cancel with that company, or will it happen automatically?
    If you unlocked it, then it should work with most sim cards.

As for travelers prepaid plans:
    FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Pre-paid data SIM cards - consolidated thread
    FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Pre-paid data SIM cards - consolidated thread
    04-05-12 12:07 PM
    But does that mean it's unlocked? even if that one thing says it isn't disabled?
    I haven't done anything to it, but it seems like it came unlocked.
    Last edited by Snapply; 04-05-12 at 04:47 PM.
    04-05-12 04:42 PM
    If your mepd screen shows NetworkDisabled, your phone is unlocked. Phones are generally locked when bought from a carrier.

Go to Options>Device>About Device Versions on your phone. 4 lines down, if you see Band 1 listed, you will get 3G on most German carriers, at least the big ones.
    04-05-12 05:14 PM
    It looks like, this, is it unlocked for sure? Because it says service provideractive
    04-06-12 02:07 PM
    It is not unlocked. If unlocked it will say "Service Provider Disabled".
    Snapply likes this.
    04-06-12 02:16 PM
    ok, now my next question is, can i unlock it now? or should i wait t'ill after I finish and cancel with koodo?
    04-06-12 02:19 PM
    My apologies for the incomplete information. I was going off of this webpage that said NetworkDisabled is all you need to confirm.

You don't need to wait for your contract to be over to get an unlock code. Try asking Koodo first. If they don't give you the code, there are many sellers online that sell unlock codes.
    Snapply likes this.
    04-06-12 02:31 PM
    Thank you!
    04-06-12 02:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD