hello everyone this saturday my wife and i are going on a cruise for a week and 9650 on os6 and she has a 8530 both on sprint. i am able to use my phone on the ship and at the ports and i plan on keeping it on because the 2 kids are being left behind, how do i suspend my emails and text messages while i am on the ship. i downloaded qwell for my phone calls and plan to use that, but any help would be appreiciated

thanks
    mark
    10-18-10 10:54 AM
    Mark,
    I just got back from a cruise a couple of weeks ago, and here is what I did...
    1) Depending on what cruise line you are on, you should be able to make calls to land from your room, however, the rates are pretty steep (depending on the cruise line) Roaming charges on board the ship can be high as well. I wouldn't recommend calling until you are in port.
    2) As far as my mobile went, I have a Storm2 on VZW and was able to make 3G calls from Nassau, but while on the ship, I turned off the Radio and Data Services. (Both should be in options under manage connections and data services) It may be different for Sprint, I'm not sure...
    3) Most ships also have on-board internet access, so you could access email from there.
    4) When I got back to the mainland, I turned my Radio and Data services back on, all my emails, texts and VM's came through with no problem.

Let me know if I can be of any more help...have fun on your cruise!
    10-18-10 11:12 AM
    i plan on using skype while on the ship and dont really plan on using the phone but i am leaving my children behind and my son has a peanut allergy so "just in case" i want to have my phone on. i found my data services on my phone, will that shut off texts and email?
    10-18-10 11:26 AM
    i plan on using skype while on the ship and dont really plan on using the phone but i am leaving my children behind and my son has a peanut allergy so "just in case" i want to have my phone on. i found my data services on my phone, will that shut off texts and email?
    I know it will shut off the emails, your texts and phone calls will come through your radio (this should be under your manage connections icon), then uncheck the mobile network tab.

One other thing, search your cruise line website for info reguarding cell phone roaming charges while on board, there may other info as well. I know VZW has a help page for roaming while abroad or cruising, so you may want to check Sprint as well...
    10-18-10 11:34 AM
    yeah i called them and paying for the ships internet and skype comes out about a dollar cheaper a minute than to use my phone. so thats the route i am going to take unless theres an emergency. thanks for the info
    10-18-10 11:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD