I've been a happy Katana owner, but now it I have decided to upgrade to a Blackberry because my phone won't charge. So, I'm thinking about getting the Curve 8530. I have a couple of questions... Why do I need Wifi if there is already internet capabilities and does wifi cost extra to use? Also, should I wait for the Tour 2 before upgrading? And, last...sprint is offering B1G1 free Curve at the moment. I don't think I'll use the second phone. Can I sell it on ebay or to a friend and they will be able to use it? Any help would be appricated. Thanks
    02-23-10 04:35 AM
    Hello and Welcome to CrackBerry,

Although having an unlimited data plan is great, sometimes data coverage is not sufficient in areas where a WiFi hotspot is available. Alternatively your carrier network might not be as fast as a WiFi connection, which makes WiFi a great option for people looking for quick access to large amounts of data. Last but not least if there is a BIS outage you will still be able to connect to the internet through WiFi. That alone is a reason for many to go for WiFi enabled devices.

Usage of WiFi will result in no extra costs, unless you want to connect to a private WiFi hotspot with required login or use Boingo services.

Tour 9630 is an excellent smartphone and better than the Curve 8530, here is a list of differences between the two:

1. Quicker CPU and support for EV-DO Rev. A on the Tour 9630. Curve 8530 is limited to only EV-DO Rev. 0.

2. Higher quality 480x360 resolution screen on the Tour 9630 compared to the 240x320 resolution screen on the Curve 8530.

3. Great 3.2Mp camera with autofocus and flash on the Tour 9630. Curve 8530 has no autofocus or flash and the camera is 2.0Mp only.

4. Roaming on GSM networks with 3G UMTS connectivity on the Tour 9630. If you're going to travel to Europe or Asia anytime soon you should get the Tour 9630 to avoid the need of carrying another phone with you. Curve 8530 is strictly a CDMA only device.

5. Curve 8530 has the newer trackpad and WiFi support. The upcoming Tour2 (actually going to be renamed as a Bold device) will have trackpad and WiFi, but whether you find these features important or not is completely up to you. Trackballs are good, nothing wrong with them. Trackpads are smoother to operate though.

If you have an unlimited data plan and don't care much about WiFi, go get the Tour 9630 now. Can't help you with the BOGO question, I'm pretty sure though that you can sell the other Curve should you get it.
    Last edited by shinkodachi; 02-23-10 at 05:12 AM.
    02-23-10 05:06 AM
    The second phone in a BOGO offer must be activated on its own line when it is purchased.
    02-23-10 07:45 AM
    Yes the bogo must be activated and the second line must be elegible for upgrade.
    02-23-10 10:35 AM
    Yes the bogo must be activated and the second line must be elegible for upgrade.
    Yes agreed!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-10 12:36 PM
    Welcome to crackberry

02-23-10 12:37 PM
    better to wait for the Tour2. WiFi doesn't cost extra and yes you can sell the second phone on e-bay.
    02-24-10 07:50 AM
    While I'm really loving the Tour, I must say that I'm not too impressed with the camera on it. The main reason I went with the Tour over the 8530 was because I thought the camera feature would be so much better. Unfortunately the camera seems to pull too much light in (even without flash) so the vast majority of my pictures are overexposed. And when I do use the flash, it gives the entire picture this VERY noticeable blue tint. I'm not really liking that. Also, when I view the pictures on my computer they look no better in terms of overall quality than the ones I took with my 8330 or Pearl Flip. So I wouldn't let the camera issue make you decide to get the Tour... I took some pictures with the 8530 inside the Verizon store and was way happier with the way they turned out.

As for the 9650/Bold/whatever the heck it will be, it could be anywhere from a couple/few/several months before it's even released. I think the 3 month range will be pretty accurate. Sounds like they're totally re-vamping the phone now and that will take some time. So keep that in mind as well!

I don't know how it works with Sprint but if you get a phone from Verizon, you have 30 days to return or exchange it. So if you get the 8530 and aren't satisfied with it, you can always return it within 30 days and get the Tour if you wish. Or you can just return it and save your upgrade, if you decide you want to wait for the 9650. That's something you could check into.

Good luck!
    02-24-10 12:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD