I think weve reached the breaking point of making big phones. Anything bigger than the passport, 6 plus, nexus 6 is considered a tablet. Hec, people think my passport is a tablet.

Whats next? Maintaining this size? Or going back again? The problem is once you go big, why would you go back to small? Probably thinness of a phone will be the next trend. The race to see who can make a paper weight phone.

Looking back at my devices, I loved the size of my pearl. It was comfortable in my pocket. We need something comfortable because a phone is like your pet lol. Who doesnt carry them all day?

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 03:51 PM
    As someone who just switched from a phone with a 4 in. display to one with a 5.1 in. display, I don't think I could ever go back. My old phone seems ridiculously tiny now when I pick it up.

The race for thinness has already started, but unless there is some breakthrough in battery technology, I hope it doesn't continue. I would rather have a slightly thicker phone with a better battery than a super thin phone with a battery that doesn't even last all day.
    06-01-15 04:15 PM
    I don't think the larger phone appeal is universal, just as the iPhone appeal isn't universal despite how popular it is. I still prefer a smaller phone that comfortably fits into pockets. A 6 inch phone is, IMO, still too small to watch longer videos, read lengthy documents or edit spreadsheets on and I always wait until I have a laptop or at minimum a 9 inch tablet with peripheral connections before I delve into these activities. The 5 inch Z30 is too large for my pockets.
    baarn and Soapm like this.
    06-01-15 04:23 PM
    Agreed about the thinness...also too thin feels fragile to me.

I think you'll see options moving forward, since there's still a pretty big demand for moderate sized pocket-friendly devices. Personally I've never had a big phone (my first will probably be the BB10 slider) and I'm looking forward to it, but I love the size of my Q10 and how it fits in my pocket and hand.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 04:30 PM
    The BB9900 and the Z10 are the perfect size. Although, my wife would love a new Pearl replacement

Posted via CB10
    alb101, AllanQuatermain and Soapm like this.
    06-01-15 04:34 PM
    With all the 5+ inch screen of the next flagship in collaboration with Samsung and the Classic resulting taller than a Passport, a Q10/5 successor really needs to be done.
    They could easily add a bigger screen (at least a 4") on the same form factor as the 9900/Q10 just by implementing a retractable keyboard.
    (I am a big fan of the 'concertina' keyboard patent)
    I love the Passport but when it comes to mobility nothing beats the 9900/Q-line dimensions !

Posted via CB10
    Q10Bold likes this.
    06-01-15 04:41 PM
    With all the 5+ inch screen of the next flagship in collaboration with Samsung and the Classic resulting taller than a Passport, a Q10/5 successor really needs to be done.
    They could easily add a bigger screen (at least a 4") on the same form factor as the 9900/Q10 just by implementing a retractable keyboard.
    I love the Passport but when it comes to mobility nothing beats the 9900/Q-line dimensions !

Posted via CB10
    The square screen is a square screen. You could make a Q10 Slider with the width of a Q10 with a 4:3 screen and the screen size would be 3.75 inches. A Slider based a 4:3 screened Classic would have a 4.1 inch screen. Let us hope that the new Slider has a PKB that is plug and play.
    06-01-15 04:55 PM
    The z10 for all its faults is very pocket friendly and one hand friendly. There's a market smaller phones look at the ground swell for a similar sized successor to the iPhone 5s. My wife is a iphone user and she is dreading having to go to 4.7 inch model.

The sony z3 compact was the phone of the year in my opinion last year. It has a 4.6 inch screen and is considered a compact phone. Remember when we used to classify the z30 as a phablet? Now it's just a regular phone. Phones have just exploded in size the last few years.

Posted via CB10
    lactose likes this.
    06-01-15 04:59 PM

Posted via CB10
    Q10/q5 successor=classic

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 05:00 PM
    Q10/q5 successor=classic

Posted via CB10
    No! No! No!

Posted via Q10Bold
    fkornre and AllanQuatermain like this.
    06-01-15 05:04 PM
    The square screen is a square screen. You could make a Q10 Slider with the width of a Q10 with a 4:3 screen and the screen size would be 3.75 inches. A Slider based a 4:3 screened Classic would have a 4.1 inch screen. Let us hope that the new Slider has a PKB that is plug and play.
    Yes I forgot to mention that I intended a Q10 form factor with a 4:3 ratio screen.
    And with the one-fix row of the Concertina kb patent, in closed position you could have a 4" screen in a Q10 form factor:
    just make the actual Q10 screen occupy the first 3 rows underneath the screen and you have a 4" in a 4:3 ratio.
    Of course once the keyboard is open the the phone would be more like a Classic but most of the time (and in your pocket) you could have a very tiny device with all the benefits of both a comfortable 4"screen and a pkb (when required).

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 05:09 PM
    Q10/q5 successor=classic

Posted via CB10
    Not for me.
    Classic is even taller than a Passport, not in the same 'handy' dimensions of the Q line and 9900.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 05:11 PM
    I don't think small will come back anytime soon. People like their games and multimedia too much.

It's kind of a different game now. When the goal was to make phones teeny tiny that was the evolution down from the original big brick of a cell phone. Then when it became more important to have a beautiful screen because phones became more capable, they started getting flatter and wider.

I think they scan still go bigger. Maybe they're as wide as they will get, time to start making them longer. LOL.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 05:29 PM
    I always thought it was ******** to have a phone 5.5 to 6 inches. It's why HDTV is the solution. But thats just my opinion though.
    06-01-15 05:50 PM

Posted via CB10
    I tend to agree about the 9900 form factor for a mobile device. It fit just right into the palm of my hand and I could put it in my pants pocket and hardly knew it was there.

But, now I have been spoiled by the larger screen size I.e iPhone 6+, Nexus 6 and so on. I found after reading emails on a larger screen, I find it difficult to go back to a smaller screen.

Technology and the dynamics of the smartphone market have changed dramatically and I am afraid that the larger screens are here to stay.
    Fidel Mercado likes this.
    06-01-15 05:56 PM
    To get a Slider Torch like phone that would be close to the Q10 phone size with the screen in a down position, you would probably max out at 3.8 inches. It is the phone width that is the issue.

Do business clients want a small Torch based on the Q10?? Not sure.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 06:19 PM
    To get a Slider Torch like phone that would be close to the Q10 phone size with the screen in a down position, you would probably max out at 3.8 inches. It is the phone width that is the issue.

Do business clients want a small Torch based on the Q10?? Not sure.

Posted via CB10
    Not sure that they really know themself what they want too...
    The question is: do we need one smaller device like the Q-line/9900 in the middle of all those 4-5" screen?
    Should we implement it with a larger screen?
    For me it's yes for both.
    But I am the only one around here carrying my Q10 and my Passport so maybe it's only me?!? (but God that concertina kb patent makes me drool!)

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by BroncoVAL; 06-01-15 at 06:42 PM.
    06-01-15 06:29 PM
    I actually wouldn't mind 9900 size phone again.
    06-02-15 12:22 AM
    "The mob is fickle" - Gladiator
    Going back to small phones?-lucilla050.jpg

There is no one size fits all solution. Also, with all of the new and shiny "Next big things" coming out. Many don't want that feeling of being left behind and want the latest and greatest. Size may not matter (Yes, the door is wide open ) Having said that, I feel that the sweet spot lies somewhere between 4.7"-5". It just seems to work for most. Whether it be form factor or screen size.

When my wife decided that she needed (wanted) an iphone 6. She wanted to go with the bigger 6 plus. She is a petite lady, and I urged her to compare it side by side with the standard ip6. She did agree that for every day phone use, it was impractical. As a compromise, I took advantage of an At&t offer and added another line so she could use and ipad mini as a companion to her ip6. She actually loved the idea and has been using the dynamic duo for quite some time now.

As for me, I love using my Classic for phone duties, instant messaging, emailing, BBM, music player,and quick FB and twitter response. My Passport is great for viewing and editing calendar appointments, viewing Facebook and BBM channels (which I love), YouTube viewing, and just an all around better experience reading web pages and files. Being the hardware nerd that I am, I find no issue carrying two devices. So long as they provide a service. Now my Galaxy Tab can stay home and entertain me while I'm sitting in my chair while my wife watches stuff that does not interests me. It keeps the peace

Yet I find myself using my Passport more and more on a daily basis. Damn, why do have to bee so fickle!
    BroncoVAL and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    06-02-15 07:21 AM
    I don't think we'll go back small... at least not until we have a phone with a projector built-in or maybe when Apple tries their hand at Apple Glasses?

But people are different... what works for most, won't work for all.
    06-02-15 08:22 AM
    I loved the Pearl, even the SureType keyboard worked great. In the end the screen size became more important than fitting it in the mini picket of my jeans. I am used to the Q10 size now and could likely get used to a larger phone.

I think the ultimate smartphone invention would be a tiny screen that could be made to appear much larger than it actually is. I have no idea what that might look like, but I would definitely love to go small again.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-15 09:18 AM
    Well the Passport may be a great phone for some but a Passport mini with a 4 inch screen would have been better as a phone.

A 4:3 screen on the Passport would have been awesome. Big screen reasonable width.

I do think that the slider has potential if Samsung designs the device. They seem to know how to make smaller bezels, lighter weight, thinner. I wonder if we will see a full Android version of the same device sold by Samsung? Pure speculation.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-15 09:26 AM
    I was quite happy with the Z10 size. I do like the Classic better as I am typing a lot of long business emails lately. The Palm Pre was one of my favorite phones, and it seems super small compared to the Classic. But the Pre, there was something very pleasing about the feel of it, and the way the sliding mechanism worked (until it broke ).
    06-02-15 09:57 AM
    I too agree with thinness. The iphone 6 and 6 plus are way too thin in my opinion. I've seen several people come into my work with iphones that have been bent by mistake because they are very delicate. I don't mind a phone being thicker has long has its tougher with a bigger battery. I enjoy the thickness of all the newer BlackBerry phones because of the fact they've been putting in relatively big batteries.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-15 10:00 AM
    I think displays below 5" of size aren't going to be play an important role anymore in the future because there is simply not enough demand for them.

I expect the average display size to stay around 5"-6" while future challenges are going to be about cramming higher specs into that size. By this I mean internal specs as well as pixel density but also higher build quality with a strong focus on design.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-15 10:46 AM
35 12