GO Transit is a major transit system in the Province of Ontario / Canada and they are abandoning their App in favor of their mobile web site....

GO Transit shutting down app, pushes riders to mobile site | Toronto Star

Posted via CB10
    01-05-16 01:52 PM
    I find that most of the apps, that I used, that went away from BlackBerry 10 are just as good as the mobile websites. Makes the developers lives much simpler to target one platform. The Web.
    01-05-16 02:15 PM
    Shutting down their app due to rework. Why not outsource the work? Sounds like a silly reason and this won't be the norm for other apps.
    01-05-16 02:27 PM
    Shutting down their app due to rework. Why not outsource the work? Sounds like a silly reason and this won't be the norm for other apps.
    There are issues with platform specific apps and it is simpler with mobile websites. When the cost of prohibitive and that would be the case for outsourcing the work, a single version (mobile) is much less money and work.

So now they are able to get all users who have a cell phone with a browser. They have the widest app base now.
    01-05-16 02:35 PM
    I find that most of the apps, that I used, that went away from BlackBerry 10 are just as good as the mobile websites. Makes the developers lives much simpler to target one platform. The Web.
    I imaging it does make it simpler for some developers....

But I just don't see this being a trend. I've found that in some cases using an App is much better that even web content. Not sure how Go Transit works, but other transportation apps I've used are location based. Open the app and it shows where I am and what options there are for that location. Via a browser that is a much different experience, especially if you don't have the page you want bookmarked. Same for accessing the weather, movie times, sport results, bank records, stock account, bank account.... I bet I use apps to access content more than I use the web, because the content is easier to fine and in some cases more detailed.

A well done example of the use of an APPs, over the website. Disney's "My Disney Experience". I'm going to Walt Disney World and today you really almost HAVE to have this app - check dining availability, make ride "FastPasses, check wait times for attractions, check the days schedule, mapping, shopping, photos they take, . Some of the content isn't even available online. Once you are there, the content becomes customized based on where you are... Theme Park, Shopping Area, or one of the Resorts. Need to know the nearest restroom.... poof it there. (Sadly the app only partial works with BB10 - not even patching it fixes it Google Services reliance)

I remember back when the PlayBook was released... all the talk of HTML5 and how it would change things for BlackBerry. It was assumed that 2015 there wouldn't be platform specific apps - it only made sense that developers would only want to build their content once. Technology is so hard to predict....
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-05-16 02:55 PM
    That's the future.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-16 07:49 PM
    Write once, run everywhere!

That will be the future IMHO!

BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition 10.3.2.2876 on T-Mobile
    01-05-16 10:05 PM
    Write once, run everywhere!

That will be the future IMHO!

BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition 10.3.2.2876 on T-Mobile
    Let's hope so!

Posted via CB10
    01-06-16 07:04 AM
    I imaging it does make it simpler for some developers....

But I just don't see this being a trend. I've found that in some cases using an App is much better that even web content. Not sure how Go Transit works, but other transportation apps I've used are location based. Open the app and it shows where I am and what options there are for that location. Via a browser that is a much different experience, especially if you don't have the page you want bookmarked. Same for accessing the weather, movie times, sport results, bank records, stock account, bank account.... I bet I use apps to access content more than I use the web, because the content is easier to fine and in some cases more detailed.

A well done example of the use of an APPs, over the website. Disney's "My Disney Experience". I'm going to Walt Disney World and today you really almost HAVE to have this app - check dining availability, make ride "FastPasses, check wait times for attractions, check the days schedule, mapping, shopping, photos they take, . Some of the content isn't even available online. Once you are there, the content becomes customized based on where you are... Theme Park, Shopping Area, or one of the Resorts. Need to know the nearest restroom.... poof it there. (Sadly the app only partial works with BB10 - not even patching it fixes it Google Services reliance)

I remember back when the PlayBook was released... all the talk of HTML5 and how it would change things for BlackBerry. It was assumed that 2015 there wouldn't be platform specific apps - it only made sense that developers would only want to build their content once. Technology is so hard to predict....
    You do know that most apps are just repackaged websites. That Disney app could be made as a mobile website and get the same information. Disney made a choice, but it was nothing to do with the requirement to make an app.
    01-06-16 07:28 AM
    I used the app all the time. Website sucks. No more bus schedules except for 5 stops in my city. If I want bus schedules I now have to Google it or go to triplinx. Multiple clicks. With the app I had favourites set and it was one press.

Make no mistake. They have removed functionality. It blows my mind that a company that operates buses does not publish bus schedules anymore.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-06-16 07:34 AM
    You do know that most apps are just repackaged websites. That Disney app could be made as a mobile website and get the same information. Disney made a choice, but it was nothing to do with the requirement to make an app.
    Of course it could be a website.... most all apps could be some type of Mobile website.

That's the point though, Disney chose not to make it a website.... which frustrates me because they aren't supporting Windows (Apps), and I use a Windows based tablet, and of course they don't support BB10 - so I can't access the mobile app specific information (without using my wife's iPad or iPhone).

I don't know if it's control over the data and how it's formatted, if it is the ability to maybe track users, or if it's an issue with API interaction with device hardware.... But even that article makes it sound like this website is a temporary fix while they work out some technical issues with the app.

My big problem with the WEB is there seem to be fewer and fewer mobile sites these days. You either use a companies app or your are forced to view the full website with all of it's advertising and content that is designed for a larger screen. Have you tried to pull up CrackBerry using a mobile device?
    01-06-16 07:54 AM
    Of course it could be a website.... most all apps could be some type of Mobile website.

That's the point though, Disney chose not to make it a website.... which frustrates me because they aren't supporting Windows (Apps), and I use a Windows based tablet, and of course they don't support BB10 - so I can't access the mobile app specific information (without using my wife's iPad or iPhone).

I don't know if it's control over the data and how it's formatted, if it is the ability to maybe track users, or if it's an issue with API interaction with device hardware.... But even that article makes it sound like this website is a temporary fix while they work out some technical issues with the app.

My big problem with the WEB is there seem to be fewer and fewer mobile sites these days. You either use a companies app or your are forced to view the full website with all of it's advertising and content that is designed for a larger screen. Have you tried to pull up CrackBerry using a mobile device?
    I find that most of all the websites I visit in my phone have a mobile version. More and more each day. I don't visit Crackberry on my phone. I find that CrackBerry is a poorly designed website even for a desktop.

And my read of the article is that they have retired the apps and going mobile site only.
    01-06-16 08:13 AM

You can choose the mobile version, it's just that BlackBerry presents itself as a desktop on a lot of sites. But I agree, usually the apps are better.
    01-06-16 08:52 AM
    I find a lot of mobile websites work better than the apps do, even on iOS and Android.

I've deleted so many of the news apps, banking apps etc off the phone and just have bookmarks to websites.

I can do my own farts so, no need for an app.

Posted via CB10 on the President Underwood version of the BlackBerry Classic
    bh7171 likes this.
    01-06-16 09:13 AM
    GO Transit is a major transit system in the Province of Ontario / Canada and they are abandoning their App in favor of their mobile web site....

GO Transit shutting down app, pushes riders to mobile site | Toronto Star

Posted via CB10
    GO TRANSIT WEBSITE, NOT ABANDONED AT LEAST, AFTER ALL...
    So its April 2019. Go transit has mangled their website somewhat it seems.
    Some dropdown menus won't work on the stock bb10 browser (but they should, because other drop down menus do work! of the same type). Go Transit....Go Figure!.

You probably can still pull up the route maps somewhere there, I did it a few months back, and I don't remember the menus being broken back then either so... Hey wait a minute...I left feedback to point out the flaws earlier this week...then i flushed my cookies and cache just a while ago....and suddenly its working again. So I don't know if Go transit fixed it...or my cache cleaining did the trick....So yes you can still use Go Transit's website in 2019 on BB10.....an why not really?

Also TripLinx, www.triplinx.ca which you can still use if you disable the Maps in the Settings menu (on a bb10 phone) still works in 2019....plus it is integrated with the TTC and other public transit lines adjacent to Toronto and in Southern Ontario....
    see.....
    https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...nx-ca-1169064/
    04-19-19 11:42 AM
    Can still use firefox via the runtime, works fine, a little slow, but fine. Used that to access a dozen websites already, including my carrier's portal and my bank.

Submitted via blackberry passport on freedom mobile HSPA+ or LTE
    04-19-19 06:25 PM