"It wasn't the iPhone per se. It didn't help that the shiny rectangle didn't compress data unlike the BlackBerry, but it fell down to "user preference," combined with an error that an Apple spokesperson unhelpfully declined to comment on"

"Unbeknown to me -- until I caught it out actively doing it -- my iPhone would re-download my email account contents every hour or so, all 300 of the most recent emails. It would do this again, and again, and churn up my data in the process. That's why I hit 20MB in the space of three hours."

I useful journalist might have written what the "user preference" was and what the "error" was that Apple declined to comment on. A useful journalist anyway.
    04-16-12 06:51 AM
    It is a conspiracy against Apple by the dastardly media.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    04-16-12 06:55 AM

If all the iPhone did was email, BBM and Twitter like my BlackBerry does, I'm sure the data usage would drop as well, lol.
    Im sure the data compression RIM is known for has nothing to do with it either.
    04-16-12 07:03 AM
    When last month's Verizon Wireless bill came, the home banker blew a gasket. She called VZW billing for an explaination. It turns out the one iPhone on our plan had 500 TXTs a month and used over 1400. Question asked and answered; The friend communication was almost all iMessage to others with iPhones. This was explained to VZW who pointed us to the Apple Web page where it explains iM "falls back" to TXT when it can't ID the other end as an iPhone. And, it turns out--according to VZW rep--a flaw in iM almost never uses anything but TXT.

With that expensive lesson learned, the account is now switched to unlimited TXTs.
    Sh1t!! If the same happens here in the UK that's great to know when i'm arguing with customers who want shiny new iPhones instead of BB's...

Thanks m8

Osh
    04-16-12 08:11 AM
    That's nonsense. Maybe that's VZW's network,, but that is NOT an iPhone issue.

Take a look at Sprint. 1 Unlimited everything planes and great service.
    Perception is everything. User has a problem with Phone X, never had a problem with Phone Y, then it must be Phone X.

Average technie...rips everything part, tweaks it till it's humming...figures out the carrier is screwing him/her and isn't surprised.
    04-16-12 08:21 AM
    For reference, my wife managed nearly a week in New York using only 1.6mb with her Pearl 3G, constant bbming including photos and voice notes. But at �8 for 1mb even that was expensive.

PS i don't know of any UK contract that offers unlimited worldwide roaming data.
    Belfast Boy is right; there are no data carrriers in the UK that offer unlimited Worldwide roaming - however, you can get BlackBerry Roaming Data plans on O2 that, efrfectively, allow yo to use your full data allownace while roaming. This costs �43 for BES users and �25 for BIS. (I'm an O2 Approved Dealer)

You can't even get iPhone data roaming plans on O2....

To me that's a steal...

Osh
    04-16-12 08:23 AM
    Thought i'd also share with you a little story: I used to manage an account for a client of mine in West London. They had 450 UK BlackBerries and were an American owned company; their guys travelled all over the world and they regulary spent over �10,000 p/month. Their counterparts in the US all used iPhones.

There was a constant argument about "why cant we have iPhones like they do in the US"

One day their CEO comes over from the states for a week long visit. He'd been in the UK for just 2 days when he noticed he wasnt getting any data on his iPhone - so he called AT&T and asked them what was going on. They said that, while he'd been in the UK (for just 2 days!!) he'd used up $500 of data - which he found a little surprising as he'd never used the browser once...

I have another customer who regulraly travels to Russia and China on business with his beloved iPhone - I really enhoy his calls the day after he gets his bill...he swears on the phone a lot.

Osh
    04-16-12 08:29 AM
    Oh Wow, i just read the responses, those iphone owners really can't take it, can they. They are fighting back with a vengeance. They just cant accept a busy journalist is better off with a BlackBerry.
    That is because 99% of them are door knobs that legitimately believe that they are the offspring of Steve Jobs.
    04-16-12 09:33 AM
    Is it just me or did anyone else think that article was effin long? Lol. Glad the guy realized bb better suited his needs. Sometimes shiny and new can make people stray. It happens.
    04-16-12 09:55 AM
    Actually, that's called a feature and you can turn it off. It's under the messaging options in settings. It wont send as a text if that's turned off.
    it was already mentioned here, but don't worry.. people are not interested in hearing that around here. I guess Its time to celebrate another victory over iOS. with this great mobile wars that no one cares about outside of the forums.
    04-16-12 12:56 PM
    it was already mentioned here, but don't worry.. people are not interested in hearing that around here. I guess Its time to celebrate another victory over iOS. with this great mobile wars that no one cares about outside of the forums.
    LOL... the article clearly shows Apple is dead in the water. Yes.
    04-16-12 01:08 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD