04-14-12 08:24 PM
    I love all the comments from the Apple lovers. They can't seem to understand that the email was resyncing the ENTIRE inbox everytime. instead of just pushing through the new emails. which was eating up bandwidth like crazy. I have no idea how exchange servers work or Iphones... but I think it's pretty crappy for the guy that it kept downloading the entire inbox instead of refreshing with emails he didn't have.
    04-15-12 04:42 AM
    I don't see what's to gloat about on this? I'm a hardcore BB fan, but the article is one person's choice and opinion. Different strokes for different folks....
    madman0141 likes this.
    04-15-12 04:52 AM
    Oh Wow, i just read the responses, those iphone owners really can't take it, can they. They are fighting back with a vengeance. They just cant accept a busy journalist is better off with a BlackBerry.
    04-15-12 05:10 AM
    When last month's Verizon Wireless bill came, the home banker blew a gasket. She called VZW billing for an explaination. It turns out the one iPhone on our plan had 500 TXTs a month and used over 1400. Question asked and answered; The friend communication was almost all iMessage to others with iPhones. This was explained to VZW who pointed us to the Apple Web page where it explains iM "falls back" to TXT when it can't ID the other end as an iPhone. And, it turns out--according to VZW rep--a flaw in iM almost never uses anything but TXT.

With that expensive lesson learned, the account is now switched to unlimited TXTs.
    04-15-12 05:39 AM
    Wow that was a lot maybe overkill but I now know who can't live without BlackBerry.
    04-15-12 05:52 AM
    So the answer is buy unlimited everything contracts? Lol

I went trough the responses and some completely ignore the jurnalist's need for for emails(10 minutes was too long) and were suggesting to turn data off and just use wifi lol, that makes sense.
    04-15-12 05:53 AM
    So the answer is buy unlimited everything contracts? Lol

I went trough the responses and some completely ignore the jurnalist's need for for emails(10 minutes was too long) and were suggesting to turn data off and just use wifi lol, that makes sense.

I can see turning off data if you're roaming and don't want to pay roaming fees.

Otherwise, isn't turning off the data connection defeating the purpose of using a smartphone? Especially if you're in your home area.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9350 using Tapatalk
    04-15-12 06:58 AM
    For reference, my wife managed nearly a week in New York using only 1.6mb with her Pearl 3G, constant bbming including photos and voice notes. But at �8 for 1mb even that was expensive.

PS i don't know of any UK contract that offers unlimited worldwide roaming data.
    04-15-12 07:30 AM
    When last month's Verizon Wireless bill came, the home banker blew a gasket. She called VZW billing for an explaination. It turns out the one iPhone on our plan had 500 TXTs a month and used over 1400. Question asked and answered; The friend communication was almost all iMessage to others with iPhones. This was explained to VZW who pointed us to the Apple Web page where it explains iM "falls back" to TXT when it can't ID the other end as an iPhone. And, it turns out--according to VZW rep--a flaw in iM almost never uses anything but TXT.

With that expensive lesson learned, the account is now switched to unlimited TXTs.
    You can turn off "Send as SMS" under iMessages settings; then if it can't find another iOS device, it doesn't send it but you get an alert in red that delivery failed and asks if you want to send as text.

The user didn't notice the message was green and not blue? Sending a group message? Not sure how it works there if only one on the list can't be identified, for example.

I do ~90% iMessage, 5% SMS and have not run into this issue. Very rarely (less than 5 times in total) an iMessage will be sent as SMS. I am a little skeptical about the VZW rep's bug claim but perhaps it is peculiar to them (I am on AT&T). It could also be the other contact(s) didn't have access to data at the time (e.g. turn off data away from wifi).
    04-15-12 09:22 AM
    I can see turning off data if you're roaming and don't want to pay roaming fees.

Otherwise, isn't turning off the data connection defeating the purpose of using a smartphone? Especially if you're in your home area.

I believe he was being sarcastic. :P
    04-15-12 09:32 AM

Some people have very small data plans (200 MB?) and turn it on only in wifi areas or as needed.
    04-15-12 09:39 AM
    And, it turns out--according to VZW rep--a flaw in iM almost never uses anything but TXT.
    That's nonsense. Maybe that's VZW's network,, but that is NOT an iPhone issue.

Take a look at Sprint. 1 Unlimited everything planes and great service.
    04-15-12 10:13 AM
    I'm going for a 10 hours drive tomorrow morning, 9 of them will be roaming: Belfast-Dublin-Galway and back. I don't have time to mess about with settings, other sim cards, i cant turn data off, i will have no wifi access.

I need my phone to work in Ireland exactly the same way it works in Norther Ireland. For that you can't beat a Blackberry.
    04-15-12 10:29 AM
    Good link / story. Where are all the comments though, I need a laugh
    04-15-12 11:06 AM
    LOL, just read the CNet comments. They are pretty good! If a little rabid.
    04-15-12 12:00 PM
    Lol I have 2 friends where their solution is to keep you their iphones in airplane mode, that way they use less data AND suffer less of a headache from the buggy battery drain.. But they claim they are very satisfied and don't look at anything non iPhone. And bb 'sucks'.

Yeah...
    04-15-12 11:01 PM
    Oh Wow, i just read the responses, those iphone owners really can't take it, can they. They are fighting back with a vengeance. They just cant accept a busy journalist is better off with a BlackBerry.
    A busy journalist is better off with whatever works for them, no matter what platform it's running.

Also, those are iPhone fanboys, not typical iPhone owners.
    Last edited by avt123; 04-15-12 at 11:57 PM.
    04-15-12 11:55 PM
    I'd just like to say I have both, an iPhone 4S and a BlackBerry Bold 9900. Yes, it's true.. the iPhone does eat more data. (I know because I have a 6GB data plan on each and the iPhone uses approx. 3-400MB more monthly) However; it also takes better pictures, has a better web browser and more apps that I actually give a hoot about using.

Can't imagine why it would use more data. Derp!

If all the iPhone did was email, BBM and Twitter like my BlackBerry does, I'm sure the data usage would drop as well, lol.
    04-16-12 12:00 AM

Actually, that's called a feature and you can turn it off. It's under the messaging options in settings. It wont send as a text if that's turned off.
    04-16-12 12:00 AM
    I'd just like to say I have both, an iPhone 4S and a BlackBerry Bold 9900. Yes, it's true.. the iPhone does eat more data. (I know because I have a 6GB data plan on each and the iPhone uses approx. 3-400MB more monthly) However; it also takes better pictures, has a better web browser and more apps that I actually give a hoot about using.

Can't imagine why it would use more data. Derp!

If all the iPhone did was email, BBM and Twitter like my BlackBerry does, I'm sure the data usage would drop as well, lol.

I use my blackberry for much more than that. This argument is almost as tired as toys vs tools.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-16-12 12:10 AM
    I use my blackberry for much more than that. This argument is almost as tired as toys vs tools.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Who's arguing?

All I did was state what I used my BlackBerry for. If you use it for more than that then good for you but I never once said that was all it could do. Seems you are arguing with yourself, not I. When you're so busy these days trying to defend your phone of choice to people you barely even know, I guess it's easy to miss what has been written out clear as day. Have fun arguing, I hope you win the internet today, sir!

(That was noted in the "If all the iPhone did was email, BBM and Twitter like my BlackBerry does" -- Had I been arguing I would have said the. ie: If all the iPhone did was email, BBM, and Twitter like the BlackBerry. You know, cause that would have been a direct insult to the BlackBerry itself, rather than speaking of my own individual use case scenario.)

avt123 likes this.
    04-16-12 04:44 AM
    What a great story....and the iCrap fanboys can't take it...I'm surprised they pulled themselves away from their Netflix soap operas long enough to write a response (albeit, with help from spellcheck). Flame on, ladies....
    04-16-12 05:10 AM
    Hmmm,according to my opinion,I also hold the same views as you have.
    Hahahahahahahaha
    dendroica likes this.
    04-16-12 05:12 AM

Odd, my iPhone will prompt me to send the message as SMS if iMessage fails and it also puts a label under the message that says "sent as SMS". Sounds like a little user error.
    04-16-12 06:42 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD