I have to agree with CDMA being a little better in terms of reliability: in the past five years I've been in several situations where my friends on GSM networks have been affected by outages while my Verizon phone kept on working. The biggest was during a pretty serious ice storm while I was doing some work in Kentucky: parts of the state were so cut off from ice damage that ham radio operators were running emergency dispatch. At the time, my wife was still with AT&T and her phone was useless for close to three weeks with Tmobile not being much better. I had spotty reception here and there, but overall Verizon kept on working (Sprint is almost a myth through there so I can't comment on their coverage)

Another fun fact, CDMA was partially developed out of the work of actress Heddie Lamar: quite a step up from the usual egg head that develops thus stuff I think...
    Attached Thumbnails GMS or CDMA in the US. IS one better than the other?-thca6mtydf.jpg  
    02-22-13 08:24 AM
    I have to agree with CDMA being a little better in terms of reliability: in the past five years I've been in several situations where my friends on GSM networks have been affected by outages while my Verizon phone kept on working. The biggest was during a pretty serious ice storm while I was doing some work in Kentucky: parts of the state were so cut off from ice damage that ham radio operators were running emergency dispatch. At the time, my wife was still with AT&T and her phone was useless for close to three weeks with Tmobile not being much better. I had spotty reception here and there, but overall Verizon kept on working (Sprint is almost a myth through there so I can't comment on their coverage)

Another fun fact, CDMA was partially developed out of the work of actress Heddie Lamar: quite a step up from the usual egg head that develops thus stuff I think...
    Actually Heddie Lamar is the inventor of Spread Spectrum. Which leads to frequency hopping and how CDMA does it's thing.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by kg4icg; 02-22-13 at 10:00 AM.
    02-22-13 08:49 AM
    I am currently with T-Mobile USA and plan on switching carriers. My choices are AT&T, Verizon and Sprint. Since AT&T is GSM and the other two are CDMA I was wondering what are the major differences, pros & cons.

I know GSM uses a SIM card and CDMA does not.

Is one type of service better than the other? If so why?

ADDED: I am located in South Florida and travel is limited.

TIA
    I have AT&T on my work BB and Sprint on my personal BB. I'm in the north east and AT&T has better coverage but I have dropped calls all the time. On the Sprint network my phone roams sometimes but I rarely lose any calls.I should also note my work BB gets 4G service while my Sprint phone is older and is only 3G.
    02-22-13 09:10 AM
    I agree with several of the folks that said it's all about coverage and cost. I have been with VZW since 03, I just have not ahd a problem with them, service wise or customer service wise. I would always recomend VZW.
    02-22-13 09:20 AM
    I recently switched from AT&T to Verizon and couldnt be happier to be honest. AT&T LTE isn't really around here but Verizon has LTE practically everywhere I go. Call quality has improved and I very very rarely drop a call. Definitely check out coverage maps in your area and ask a few of your friends that have Verizon and or AT&T and how they like their service. For me, Verizon fit the bill perfectly.
    02-22-13 05:04 PM
    Verizon spends a lot more money on their network. I do believe CDMA to be more superior in terms of call quality and the ability to jump towers in the middle of a call so that you never lose the call. LTE is more GSM based though and you DO have to have a SIM card on verizon for LTE to work. I can tell you I have traveled all around the world (actually I just took a trip literally around the world in 3 days. Japan to New Jersey, Jersey to Hawaii, Hawaii back to Japan) and my Verizon service has not failed me to any of the placed I have been in the States. Even way up in FairBanks Alaska..

When I lived in Asheville North Carolina, all of my friends were on Verizon and we always laughed about the one dead spot in the city. You would just be driving down the road and half way down, the call would just drop. it was maybe a 6 ft section of this road haha. It was referred to as THE dead spot. My girlfriend at the time was on Sprint and anytime we went inside a building downtown she'd have no signal. It was dumb. In well populated cities, or even when we leave Honolulu, I usually have service up to 10k feet. then it becomes too weak for data. I can usually get an SMS out. I have been with Verizon since 2003, and I have never had an issue with them. Their customer service has always been very nice. And if I had a problem with one of the customer service Reps (I think it's been twice) I would just hang up on them and call back and the other one would help me out. Everyone has a bad day so I don't really hold it againce the CS Rep that was pissy. But they have always been very understanding.
    02-22-13 11:13 PM
31 12