11-09-10 12:09 PM
27 12
tools
    Hi

My GMail (via BIS) on my Bold was working fine and was receiving emails near instant.

But in the last week or so I have noticed this is now delayed by about 10-15mins.

Anyone have any ideas why and how I can get this back to normal ?

( My Hotmail still works fine )
    10-23-08 05:40 AM
    this may not be helpful but I haven't noticed any issues using the gmail app lately...I use it to keep my work and personal mail separate.
    10-23-08 08:29 AM
    I have noticed this as well. We can only hope it gets sorted out shortly, because it is annoying!
    10-23-08 08:30 AM
    My gmail is instantaneous ...

is your setup as imap or pop?
    10-23-08 08:33 AM
    I use IMAP and sometimes I notice it takes upwards up to 50 mins, usually 2-6 however, even after they made that "silent IMAP" upgrade a few months ago.
    10-23-08 09:47 AM
    I use IMAP and sometimes I notice it takes upwards up to 50 mins, usually 2-6 however, even after they made that "silent IMAP" upgrade a few months ago.
    POP Gmail still comes in instantly, its only when you set it up as IMAP does it start to come in slowly now.

I turned on IMAP a week or two ago and in the beginning it was working flawlessly but later on it started to get slower and slower so I just changed back to POP.

Not sure what the problem is though, but I hope Google/RIM address the issue.
    10-23-08 10:34 AM
    I've had the problem with my text messages showing up late when I send them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-23-08 10:50 AM
    POP has always been very quick for me. IMAP was slow originally, but was improved recently. Now my IMAP seems to be in the 10 minute range.

10-23-08 03:20 PM
    It's seems that having both pop and imap enabled in gmail cause issues with slow-downs. I was receiving emails within 10 to 20 mins, so I deleted the account on my bis, then disabled both pop and imap, waited a minute or two, and re-enabled imap, the re-added the gmail account as imap, and no problems since. Pretty much within a 1-2 minute window.
    10-23-08 03:56 PM
    I've had the problem with my text messages showing up late when I send them.
    That sounds like a horse of a different color, compared to emails. Have you tried a batt. pull? If that doesn't work, maybe resend the service books or call CS.
    10-23-08 03:58 PM
    POP Gmail still comes in instantly, its only when you set it up as IMAP does it start to come in slowly now.

I turned on IMAP a week or two ago and in the beginning it was working flawlessly but later on it started to get slower and slower so I just changed back to POP.

exactly the same for me ..... Imap was working perfectly and now getting slower & slower
    10-24-08 06:24 AM

Same thing here... I just got my BB about 2 weeks ago. For the first week, I got my IMAP push immediately. Now, it's taking about 10 minutes.

can someone tell me again what the difference is between Gmail POP and IMAP? What do they, and do they not, sync? As of right now, if I delete from my BB, then it also deletes from my web Gmail. And if I delete from my web Gmail, then it (eventually) deletes from my BB. And if I "read" an email on one application, then it shows as "read" on the other... Does POP do all this too?
    10-24-08 12:09 PM
    without boring you with the acronym meanings here is the basic difference:

IMAP: Is *generally* more real time. When you log in you are see the present status of your mailbox at that exact time. IMAP also allows you to make changes to your message store as if you where local to the system. Meaning you can create and delete folders and manipulate your mail, move messages etc.

POP: Is used simply for retrieval and delivery. In other words when you login you are just downloading or sending messages. You are not actually manipulating the messages in your mailbox on the server but locally on your computer or device.

Again IMAP is more of a real time connection where you *should* be able to see messages from your email client or device as soon as they arrive in your mailbox. POP simply sends and receives on a schedule set by client software or device and does not allow you to manipulate data on the server directly.
    10-24-08 12:55 PM
    Well, in an attempt to get my "instant" Gmail IMAP working again, I completed deleted my email account from my device using bis.na.blackberry, pulled the battery, re-added Gmail IMAP, and finished it off with another battyer pull...

So far, I'm getting my Gmail's instantly. Only time will tell if it again gets slower as time goes on.
    10-24-08 01:20 PM
    Interesting that you had to start over with it, and more interesting is that it worked!

I hadn't noticed any slow down with mine, glad you got this straightened out.
    10-24-08 03:05 PM
    Doing the things you mentioned are local to your device so it would seem the slow down is not related to gmail but something on the device or with the services connecting to gmail through BIS. Could be a coincidence...interesting though.
    10-25-08 07:54 PM
    The most recent find I found, was from blackberry forums. I google to see if its a know issue. And so far it seems something RIM did wrong I guess. They are supposedly working on a fix. Because the issue has arose from around the time BIS was upgraded. Many users are reporting the issues only with gmail. And all others are working fine. Me personally am having the issue. More and more. First it was hotmail, now gmail

11-05-10 09:53 AM
    I'm having the same issues, although it's primarily with my google apps account (education edition) through IMAP. I've tried a battery pull, resend of service books and deleting and re-adding it on BIS. I thought it might have been related to the recent BIS 3.2 push, but I still don't get the 'sync calendar' option on BIS.
    Just today, the delay has been getting longer, up to an hour.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you set up POP? Do you just change the imap.gmail.com to pop.gmail.com?

I'd also be appreciative of any help.
    11-05-10 12:44 PM
    If you go to setting on your gmail page "from a cpu" then click fowarding pop/imap, you can enable pop and disable imap here. Having both enabled is known to cause issues. I have mine set to imap.

11-05-10 03:11 PM
    Anyone else have this problem? It seems to be gmail side...message on gmail.com properties shows 7:11, but then it delivers in inbox at 9:15....then phone at 9:20. Sup w that?

SanctiSpiritus likes this.
    11-06-10 06:13 PM
    Yesterday Google address a Gmail issue.

12:33 PM We're investigating reports of an issue with Google Mail. We will provide more information shortly.

1:30 PM Our team is continuing to investigate this issue. We will provide an update by November 5, 2010 2:33:00 PM UTC-4 with more information about this problem. Thank you for your patience.

2:05 PM We have determined that this is an isolated issue that will be corrected as part of our ongoing maintenance activities.

As of right now Google is green and online.

I did check my mail box and device and everything is ok.
    11-06-10 06:33 PM
    Thanks. Where did you hear this from? It wasn't on their blogspot/mainpage

11-06-10 07:19 PM
    Apps Status Dashboard

I check it all the time with reported issues.
    11-06-10 07:26 PM
    Wow, good resource- thanks!

11-06-10 07:28 PM
    Yep anytime there is an issue it's the best place to narrow down what is going on.

Like a few months ago their were calendar issues. I checked there and bam they had a issue posted.

Wish RIM would hove something like this for BIS.
    11-06-10 07:33 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD