So I've been playing around with my Gmail today, and I've got a pretty sizeable delay recieving my messages, about 20 minutes or so I'd say. Has anyone else been having this problem? If not, any idea how to resolve it? I haven't had a problem sending messages, just recieving them. I also did a battery pull, and it had no effect.
    02-23-09 01:25 PM
    Mine are comming in instantly for the moment.
    02-23-09 01:37 PM
    I've always had a 10-20 minute delay on average with IMAP gmail. Occassionally i will get it quickly, but not usually. This is a known gmail issue that many people experience on this board. Supposedly, gmail is supposed to play a little more friendly with blackberries with the next version of BIS due out soon.
    02-23-09 01:40 PM
    Mine always are pretty much instant. Just tested and it was 14 seconds to arrival......
    02-23-09 01:41 PM
    Mine always are pretty much instant. Just tested and it was 14 seconds to arrival......
    And that's how mine always used to be, I would get them instantly! I guess it's not that big of a deal, but I like to get them as soon as they hit.
    02-23-09 01:45 PM
    Mine are pretty much instant as well and pretty much always have been.
    02-23-09 01:46 PM
    I havent touched mine in sometime. Have you tried resending the service books to see if it helps at all?
    02-23-09 01:48 PM
    I havent touched mine in sometime. Have you tried resending the service books to see if it helps at all?
    Yeah, I just did that a minute ago actually, I haven't recieved any new messages, which i should have one comming. We'll see if it works!
    02-23-09 01:52 PM
    Gmail POP is pretty much instant.. but Gmail IMAP is hit and miss.
    02-23-09 02:53 PM
    I don't know if it makes a difference, but I hit the "reconcile now" option in the menu the other day just to see what it did, and I didn't notice any difference, that wouldn't have anything to do with this would it??
    02-23-09 04:25 PM
    I've a 10-20 minute delay on average with IMAP gmail also, but no delay with gmail apps

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-09 04:46 PM
    No problem here today, near to instant as always :-)
    02-23-09 05:01 PM
    Hmmm... I'm still having a delay...
    02-24-09 10:52 AM
    Im having a big delay, about 10-20 mins, if they come at all. Girlfriend, same problem. Only started happening today.
    02-24-09 04:31 PM
    Just started having the problem right now. gmail IMAP isn't working. Seems like every month I need to resend the service books which is starting to become really annoying.

I'm in SoCal/ATT
    02-24-09 06:26 PM
    Just got a dump load of emails... so mine's delayed.
    02-24-09 06:34 PM
    It seems mine is delayed or not working as well.
    02-24-09 10:34 PM
    The first few weeks that I had my Storm IMAP was near instant, but since then it's been delayed up to 20 minutes. A number of people on these boards claim they see no delays so maybe it has to do with the servers our accounts are on. With another outage this morning I think it's becoming clear that gmail is not all that great as an e-mail provider. I have a paid e-mail provider and IMAP has always been instant, no problems; not to mention that the read mail status syncs both ways, unlike gmail.
    02-24-09 10:39 PM
    My read status sync worked fine with Gmail after I set it up correctly. I thought I had it set up right before but I didn't.
    02-24-09 10:45 PM
    Oh man it's doing it again today.
    02-25-09 05:22 PM
    The problem with receiving email for the last few days could be a result of the outage that occurred around 1:30 AM PST Tuesday. The servers have been fixed since then but some emails are taking a while to still get pushed to the devices.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-25-09 05:44 PM
    My read status sync worked fine with Gmail after I set it up correctly. I thought I had it set up right before but I didn't.
    I don't think so, this is a known issue. See here.
    02-25-09 08:13 PM
    Mine is slow today too.

Having watched the communications between RIM and the IMAP server I noticed a few things in the past. This is what I have seen:

Notably, when an IMAP account is setup RIM checks to see if it is IDLE compatible. RIM will then continue to use this IDLE connection as long as it stays alive. Generally, if the IDLE connection dies RIM will try to recreate it.

However, after some # of errors RIM stops even trying to make an IDLE connection. I call this the "fault stage". You can recreate the IDLE connection by deleting your account and recreating it.

When in this fault stage RIM checks your email about every 17 minutes, just like it always did before they started to support IDLE.

I am not sure how long or if the RIM servers will ever on their own try to recreate an IDLE connection after it reaches this fault stage. I have never waited that long to see what happens.

So my hypothesis is that the RIM servers had some issue last night and some of the IDLE connections entered the fault stage?

This also presumes that RIM uses a standard IMAP connection to gmail and has not created their own gmail specific system. I have never watched the communication between RIM and gmail.

I am going to wait a day and see if it rectifies itself. After tomorrow I am going to delete and recreate my account to fix this.
    02-25-09 09:21 PM
    Did you copy that from somewhere else (text is diff color)? If not, how do you watch the comms. between the RIM and IMAP server?
    02-25-09 10:02 PM
    Mine is slow today too.

Having watched the communications between RIM and the IMAP server I noticed a few things in the past. This is what I have seen:

Notably, when an IMAP account is setup RIM checks to see if it is IDLE compatible. RIM will then continue to use this IDLE connection as long as it stays alive. Generally, if the IDLE connection dies RIM will try to recreate it.

However, after some # of errors RIM stops even trying to make an IDLE connection. I call this the "fault stage". You can recreate the IDLE connection by deleting your account and recreating it.

When in this fault stage RIM checks your email about every 17 minutes, just like it always did before they started to support IDLE.

I am not sure how long or if the RIM servers will ever on their own try to recreate an IDLE connection after it reaches this fault stage. I have never waited that long to see what happens.

So my hypothesis is that the RIM servers had some issue last night and some of the IDLE connections entered the fault stage?

This also presumes that RIM uses a standard IMAP connection to gmail and has not created their own gmail specific system. I have never watched the communication between RIM and gmail.

I am going to wait a day and see if it rectifies itself. After tomorrow I am going to delete and recreate my account to fix this.
    I had been having the same problem others have reported in this thread. My IMAP gmail messages would usually get pushed to my blackberry within a minute of them showing up in my gmail inbox until gmail crashed this week.

The text above made sense so I deleted my accounts on BIS and added them again and I have just sent two test e-mails and they got pushed almost instantly, like they used to.

Hope this helps others having the problem.

I'm with AT&T in SoCal
    02-26-09 12:51 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD