I have been using gmail with IMAP for a while but ever since BIS was implemented my gmail has lagged. If i remove it from BIS and re-add it then it will be instant again for a couple days then goes back to a typical 15 minute lag or so. what gives? how can i fix it... i am getting really annoyed!
    04-02-09 04:30 PM
    wow.. nobody? ^bump
    04-03-09 06:14 PM
    For me on T mobile I had IMAP before the new BIS 2.6.
    Never had any issues, dont get me wrong it wasnt "push" but it was pretty fast...within 3 minutes. The only thing I see different now with 2.6 is I have a file option and dont have to setup filters. One thing I did do was I didnt set my IMAP up the way you setup POP. Hers what I did . Delete the account. ( doing this will delte your email on your device but they will still be in your messages folder so do a backup if you wanna keep them). Then when setting up the account again just input your email address and do not put the password. It will come up saying thatit wouldnt work but give you an option to input yourself. Follow the prompts to manually input. Your user name is your whole email account...IE me ([email protected]) then put password. Mail server is imap.gmail.com. Follow the prompts until complete. After complete to make the blackberry diplay the name you want for that particular email account go to edit and change name. This works for me. Hope it helps.
    04-03-09 06:35 PM
    For me on T mobile I had IMAP before the new BIS 2.6.
    Never had any issues, dont get me wrong it wasnt "push" but it was pretty fast...within 3 minutes. The only thing I see different now with 2.6 is I have a file option and dont have to setup filters. One thing I did do was I didnt set my IMAP up the way you setup POP. Hers what I did . Delete the account. ( doing this will delte your email on your device but they will still be in your messages folder so do a backup if you wanna keep them). Then when setting up the account again just input your email address and do not put the password. It will come up saying thatit wouldnt work but give you an option to input yourself. Follow the prompts to manually input. Your user name is your whole email account...IE me ([email protected]) then put password. Mail server is imap.gmail.com. Follow the prompts until complete. After complete to make the blackberry diplay the name you want for that particular email account go to edit and change name. This works for me. Hope it helps.

thanks

that is how i setup my imap already. I used to get email instantly (2-3 seconds after i hit send) but now it is anywhere from 3-15 minutes! that is what is annoying me!
    04-04-09 02:55 PM
    All I did was delete my gmail pop, then re-set it up the same way, and it automatically set it up as imap, and I haven't had any delay problems at all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-04-09 04:51 PM
    All I did was delete my gmail pop, then re-set it up the same way, and it automatically set it up as imap, and I haven't had any delay problems at all.

i will attempt that now and see how that works..
    04-05-09 04:01 AM
    that was a total epic fail. set it up regular way and still delayed... been waiting now 10 mins for emails and still did not get them!

i guess gmail will just always be delayed. too bad yahoo isnt better otherwise id move all my email address to that
    04-05-09 02:26 PM
    I noticed that gmail has been sucking here recently too.
    The BIS server will go to sleep and only poll every 15 minutes if it hasn't seen mail in a while. Once it sees new mail it'll stay connected until it times out again.

04-05-09 03:36 PM
    Mine has had a lag of about 15 minutes over the last few days, but was working fine before with IMAP. I might go back to pop3 and see if that fixes anything.
    04-05-09 04:23 PM
    yeah. i might try pop3 also. this is so sad and stupid. the premiere wireless email device cant even do gmail right!
    04-05-09 07:06 PM
    Hi, i'm glad its not just me, new BB owner here only had for a few days & thought it was sometring i was doing wrong, even posted thread over on network carrier's forum as i wasn't sure if it was a network issue but no help there.

My mail can be anything from instant to 50mins before it hits my handset. and is very randon.
    04-05-09 07:11 PM
    yeah. i might try pop3 also. this is so sad and stupid. the premiere wireless email device cant even do gmail right!
    Switching back to pop3 fixed the problem on my end. I have sent myself a few test messages and they are now coming through on my phone before they are even on gmail.
    04-05-09 07:48 PM
    Switching back to pop3 fixed the problem on my end. I have sent myself a few test messages and they are now coming through on my phone before they are even on gmail.
    Hi, just to confirm, you turned off IMAP in googlemail settings & enabled POP3 only?

thanks & regards
    04-05-09 07:50 PM
    Hi, just to confirm, you turned off IMAP in googlemail settings & enabled POP3 only?

thanks & regards
    No, you need to go to BIS and delete your gmail account. Then go to set up a new account and enter the email address, but not a password. After that, you need to choose "I will manually set up this account" or something along those lines. You need to enter pop.gmail.com in the mail server box then enter your username, password, etc as you normally would when prompted.
    04-05-09 08:24 PM
    I've been having the same issue with my gmail the last couple of days. Good to know it isn't just me!

I might try the POP3 method, have to see how it goes! Does POP3 still support one-way read synchronization?

I can't wait for the actual gmail client to drop this summer (hopefully) so we have full gmail functionality on our BB's...
    04-05-09 09:21 PM
    I've been having the same issue with my gmail the last couple of days. Good to know it isn't just me!

I might try the POP3 method, have to see how it goes! Does POP3 still support one-way read synchronization?

I can't wait for the actual gmail client to drop this summer (hopefully) so we have full gmail functionality on our BB's...
    pop only supports 1 way deletion sync. the read sync is only in IMAP...
    04-05-09 09:42 PM
    pop only supports 1 way deletion sync. the read sync is only in IMAP...
    Ah, yea that's what I thought. I'd rather wait a bit for my messages than loose the sync... even if it is just one-way. If IMAP doesn't sort itself out over the next week or so, I'll probably just give the current gmail app a try... If I don't have actual push I may as well, right?
    04-05-09 09:55 PM
    Just thought of something...

I noticed last night that the "advanced attatchment" (select multiple files at once and display an upload progress bar) setting on my Gmail account doesn't seem to work anymore. Has anyone else noticed this? If so, is it possible that Google is just messing with gmail and that is causing our email issues?

I noticed that gmail has been sucking here recently too.
    The BIS server will go to sleep and only poll every 15 minutes if it hasn't seen mail in a while. Once it sees new mail it'll stay connected until it times out again.

This seems to be the case for me as well. I had one email take about 15 minutes, then sent another and it only took about a minute. Strange.
    04-05-09 10:20 PM
    okay. i am on pop3 now.. still has a delay. this really sucks. i cant believe yahoo works perfect but gmail doesnt
    04-06-09 02:51 AM
    I have been using gmail with IMAP for a while but ever since BIS was implemented my gmail has lagged. If i remove it from BIS and re-add it then it will be instant again for a couple days then goes back to a typical 15 minute lag or so. what gives? how can i fix it... i am getting really annoyed!
    same here. sux
    04-06-09 03:18 AM
    BlackBerry Internet Service (version 2.6) no longer supports Gmail POP access.

BlackBerry Internet Service - Gmail Help
    04-06-09 03:25 AM

Not that I am aware of.
    04-06-09 06:35 AM
    Very frustrating. I'll get over it, but "instant" email is what BlackBerry is all about. Disappointing that it can't function smoothly with the best free email platform available.

Any of you have any experience with the Gmail for Mobile App? Not sure how I feel about trying it.

My understanding is that it polls your Gmail account every 15 minutes (which is why I never wanted to use it, but seems that's what we're getting anyway).

Anyone used/using it? What are your thoughts?
    04-06-09 09:01 AM
    Any of you have any experience with the Gmail for Mobile App?
    believe it or not, it's even slower than BIS
    04-06-09 03:54 PM
    believe it or not, it's even slower than BIS
    that is crazyness.

i wonder if it is too much to ask... seems to me along with getting the storm working properly, this should be their second highest priority...

ITS GMAIL afterall. like EVERYONE uses them
    04-06-09 08:20 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD