cool idea... you got my support
    07-16-08 01:45 AM
    you get my support too
    07-16-08 02:05 AM
    But yeah I too thought an app to do that would be awesome, in case you didn't know Google has an API exactly for this. It's a contact API and its listed in the Google Code site. If you need any help or suggestions let me know I am a developer as well and I also wanted to make this, plus I do graphics if you need and I have hosting space etc.
    The release of the API was exactly the reason i wanted to do it. I wouldnt even to attempt without the API.

Also thank you for the offer - im sure ill need all the help i can muster down the track. Im really looking forward to this opensource project - its about time i put back into the community that I have used so much.

Regards
    07-16-08 07:26 AM
    Yes sir, I will donate. For sure. Also, give the wife our best, as she's going thru a tough time. Let us know if theres anything we can do to help with this process. Once again, thank you & CB is looking foward to it.
    07-16-08 07:32 AM
    Bless you! I do not own Outlook and would LOVE an application like this! Getting my address book into my Blackberry from Thunderbird was a royal pain, but now that it is there I'd be much happier having an online syncing solution. I would happily donate money for this!

A few feature requests:

* Ability to share contacts with others, particularly if we can pick specific people vs. Sharing the whole address book

* GSync for calendars has issues taking calendar entries created previously and putting them into GCal. I ended up having to reenter every appt on my Blackberry into GCal which was a royal pain. Once there, sync works both ways, but initial setup was time consuming. If you can find a way to do an initial sync from the Blackberry to Google that would be terrific!

Keep us posted!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-16-08 09:04 AM
    A few feature requests:

* Ability to share contacts with others, particularly if we can pick specific people vs. Sharing the whole address book

* GSync for calendars has issues taking calendar entries created previously and putting them into GCal. I ended up having to reenter every appt on my Blackberry into GCal which was a royal pain. Once there, sync works both ways, but initial setup was time consuming. If you can find a way to do an initial sync from the Blackberry to Google that would be terrific!
    Thanks for the tips. To begin with I would release a very simple syncing app - then once i have the basics down, i can move onto sharing features like you suggested (i think sharing feature is great idea).

Regards
    07-16-08 05:37 PM
    It sounds good. So are you still planning on starting this week? Also, how's the wife? And is it a boy or girl?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-16-08 05:39 PM
    It sounds good. So are you still planning on starting this week? Also, how's the wife? And is it a boy or girl?
    The wife is doing very well at the moment

We tried to find out twice what sex but the baby had its legs crossed.

Ill do some planning over the weekend and should be able to start next week. I think i would have a simple beta ready between 2-4 weeks.

Regards
    07-16-08 05:57 PM
    The wife is doing very well at the moment

We tried to find out twice what sex but the baby had its legs crossed.

Ill do some planning over the weekend and should be able to start next week. I think i would have a simple beta ready between 2-4 weeks.

Regards
    Sounds good. Let us know if theres anything we can do.
    07-16-08 06:15 PM
    07-18-08 09:44 AM
    Ill be using the API - its the API that makes this project simple and feasible.

Regards
    07-18-08 06:44 PM
    Agreeing with everyone else I would mos def appreciate an app like this. AND i would donate some of my makeup fund to you lol.
    07-19-08 02:23 PM
    Go Blue - i actually was using google sync as a benchmark as i think its simple and easy to use (my opinion only). If you can share any points about google sync that would help me out.

Regards
    Sam
    Sorry for the delay in responding. Been traveling and 10 time zones got in the way.

My issue with google calendar sync is not how it is *supposed* to work but rather how it *does* work -- or not.

Previous events don't sync, recurring events don't sync right, some newly added events sync correctly and some don't, some added by 'puter sync and some don't, some added by BB sync (most do) but some don't -- you never know when that is going to happen so the reliability and trust factor is zero -- if you can't rely on it 100% to have all your events it's worse than not having anything at all. Bad data is worse than no data -- particularly when you don't know or can't tell when it is bad.

I've installed and uninstalled and reinstalled and tried to get this app to work on 3 different BB's since about last February. The boards are full of complaints about how it doesn't work right and I've found most of those symptoms myself.

So -- sorry -- didn't intend to rant -- but what should be the one of the greatest apps out there for convenience just doesn't deliver.

So my comment was with that as a target, it's a pretty low bar -- I hope you do better. Your idea is a great one, and would beat the .csv file routine to copy contacts from Outlook to and from Google / Gmail -- and that's not a sync process but rather a copy and paste.
    07-20-08 08:12 AM
    Previous events don't sync, recurring events don't sync right, some newly added events sync correctly and some don't, some added by 'puter sync and some don't, some added by BB sync (most do) but some don't -- you never know when that is going to happen so the reliability and trust factor is zero -- if you can't rely on it 100% to have all your events it's worse than not having anything at all. Bad data is worse than no data -- particularly when you don't know or can't tell when it is bad.
    Thanks Go blue - I wasnt aware of the sync issues. I dont believe the contact sync will be as complicated as calendar sycn. The way i see it is most people will only need to sync - say once a month. Also contacts are not as dynamic as calendar - people mainly add contacts and they leave them there.

Regards
    07-21-08 05:44 AM
    Hi Everyone

I will open a new thread in the general discussion probably tomorrow (Sydney time) with details of the project.

I think i should have a beta working in about 7 days from now.

Regards
    07-21-08 05:55 AM
    This sounds like something I'll definitely check out
    07-21-08 07:05 AM
    The release of the API was exactly the reason i wanted to do it. I wouldnt even to attempt without the API.

Also thank you for the offer - im sure ill need all the help i can muster down the track. Im really looking forward to this opensource project - its about time i put back into the community that I have used so much.

Regards
    Oh okay lol true without that API I wouldn't try it. Alright well good luck hope to help.
    07-21-08 01:06 PM
    Hi everyone

I have created a new thread under 3rd party applications so i can keep everyone informed. The development has started.

Here is the new thread

Thanks for all the help.

UPDATE
    Beta has been released. Please read this thread
    Last edited by staino; 08-06-08 at 06:34 AM.
    07-22-08 12:04 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD