Hi

I asked a question in the forum the other week asking if there is an app that sync gmails contacts over the air - similar to how the google sync for calander works.

Im yet to find one - I know there are other solutions like goosync but as far as using the API to directly sync over the air.

My question is - is it worth my time developing an app that sync the contacts over the air or will i be wasting my time?

Would people be interested in this application? As far as licence - if i can keep time and costs down, i would like to release as GPL licence (opensource) and hope people will kindly donate to subsidise my development time and costs.

Please let me know what you think - all opinions welcome.

Regards
    Sam
    07-14-08 06:24 PM
    I'm sore the BB community would appreciate such an app

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-08 06:29 PM
    I'm sore the BB community would appreciate such an app
    You use gmail? have you wanted to sync your gmail contacts to your address book and vice versa?

Do you think people would donate if I release under GPL? My reasoning for releasing under GPL is so other people will be able to help pick up the development and enhance the app - but this will take me time and money to develop (and I run a business so time is money) and was hoping that people would subsidise the time by donating - say $5.

Regards
    07-14-08 06:35 PM
    Does anyone else have an opinion on this? Is this something people would need?
    07-14-08 08:09 PM
    For sure ... everyone needs it. I'd donate.
    07-14-08 08:54 PM
    id be game!!!
    07-14-08 08:59 PM
    Thanks azeis and Berrywhite

I would like to go ahead with this project - i will however require permission from the wife to go ahead (need to balance free work with paid work).

Pls keep your opinions or any thoughts you have on this app coming.

Regards
    Sam
    07-14-08 09:09 PM
    I'd love to help you out in whatever way I can. Honestly I have been waiting for someone to get on this for quite a while - hope it works out.
    07-15-08 12:05 AM
    Thanks Azeis - im currently in negiotiations with the wife
    07-15-08 12:06 AM
    I'd definitely be interested! As a Mac user who doesn't have a DM to use, I use GCal and GSync for my calendar and love it! If I could do that with my contacts as well, I'd be in heaven!
    07-15-08 12:07 AM
    I would sure love something like that and I would donate for your time and effort
    07-15-08 01:22 AM
    Thanks everyone - good to see there is some demand for this app. I have finished negotitiations with the wife.

Good news......the lovely wife has agreed. I think i will probably start planning later this week and kick of development next week.

As far as help goes, I guess later on I will need some brave beta testers. As far as donations go, I would prefer people refer or even request work (im making an assumption that the majority of bb users are business users) to my business - but donations would always be well received.

Regards
    Sam
    07-15-08 04:01 AM
    I should also point out that the wife is 7months pregnant (first child) - so big hand for the wifes support
    07-15-08 04:12 AM
    I should also point out that the wife is 7months pregnant (first child) - so big hand for the wifes support

Ohh congrats!! I'd also be really excited about this program!
    07-15-08 09:42 AM
    Thats awesome .. I'm definitely stoked for it. Hope it works out in the end - keep us posted.
    07-15-08 11:41 AM
    I use gmail and sync my mail via BIS and my calendar via GoogleSync. I would LOVE an app that syncs my contacts on google! I probably wouldn't want to pay more than $7-8 though. I'd be interested to see what a price point on something like this would bring.
    07-15-08 11:52 AM
    "I probably wouldn't want to pay more than $7-8 though. I'd be interested to see what a price point on something like this would bring"

The price would be free as I intend to release under GPL.

Regards
    Last edited by staino; 07-15-08 at 07:42 PM. Reason: added quote
    07-15-08 07:39 PM
    Ya really can't beat that!
    07-15-08 07:41 PM
    "similar to how the google sync for calander works." ........

My only comment is that if you spend your time to develop a contact sync app, that it works better than google calendar sync !!

Would be a great new app.
    07-15-08 07:50 PM
    "similar to how the google sync for calander works." ........

My only comment is that if you spend your time to develop a contact sync app, that it works better than google calendar sync !!

Would be a great new app.
    You dont like how google sync works? What dont you like about it?

Regards
    Sam
    07-15-08 07:52 PM
    Gcalander works great for me !!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-08 08:06 PM
    Go Blue - i actually was using google sync as a benchmark as i think its simple and easy to use (my opinion only). If you can share any points about google sync that would help me out.

Regards
    Sam
    07-15-08 10:01 PM
    First off Congratulations

And secondly I think its the most brilliant idea in the world, that being because I had the same idea lol

But yeah I too thought an app to do that would be awesome, in case you didn't know Google has an API exactly for this. It's a contact API and its listed in the Google Code site. If you need any help or suggestions let me know I am a developer as well and I also wanted to make this, plus I do graphics if you need and I have hosting space etc.
    07-15-08 10:21 PM
    This sounds great. As a small business owner this would be a great way for me and a couple of my employees to sync contacts without using a BES I think as we cant afford a BES. We already use gcalender to sync up.
    07-16-08 12:13 AM
    yeah I would donate!!!
    07-16-08 01:23 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD