Hey all,

so yesterday I downloaded the Gmail client for Blackberry Bold and set it up with my Google apps account

Overall I find the experience pretty cool and I especially like the fact that I can get access to my archives and easily search for messages.

Now the same account is set up on my BIS option. and I can get notified of incoming message from the BIS and check them thru the Gmail client but then the messages would still marked as unopened on the built-in mail client.

So basically is there there another way of getting notified of incoming messages? Do you use the gmail client? Why? Otherwise why would you prefer the built-in client?

Thank you very much for you answers on this issue.
    11-18-08 04:35 AM
    I use the built in e-mail client and let BIS push the messages to my BB, always been much faster!
    11-18-08 04:46 AM
    I see. I use to have yahoo! Mail set up in my BB and when i check a new email online then the red light would stop blinking on the BB and message was logically marked an opened.

however with Gmail messages are always marked as unread even if they are read on the webmail... How do you guys explain that? When setting up Gmail on BIS, doesn't it default to IMAP and therefore proceed to permanent synchronization?
    11-18-08 05:12 AM
    The Gmail client should have installed an extra profile option if you sected Notify in the client settings. Beware the Gmail client isn't push and probably pulls much more data (important when roaming).

I use the BIS for my GMail apps accounts, and only the GMail client when I want to go deep into my email archive (as a reader). Then I quit it. I don't have it notify me of anything.

There is the issue of read status sync, but I just live with it.
    11-18-08 05:13 AM
    BIS here too unless delving deep into the mail box.
    11-18-08 05:18 AM
    BIS here too unless delving deep into the mail box.
    Exactly.

I am never actually signed into Gmail on my BB unless I am looking for an old email.
    11-18-08 05:47 AM
    Beware the Gmail client isn't push and probably pulls much more data (important when roaming)..
    I did see the new profile configuration but then I don't get it. If it's not push... how can it send notifications upon message arrival in my inbox?
    11-18-08 06:24 AM
    Well I decided to forward all my Google Apps email to my Yahoo! account as i did before because the permanent notification is really bugging me.

I wanted to use my Google Apps address in the From line on BB device so I left the account on the BIS along with the Yahoo! account and told it not to push me any messages (so that I do not receive doubles). However I cannot seem to change the from line when replying to a message read on the Yahoo! Mail account.

So I'm also keeping the Gmail app in case i need to reply with a different account
    11-18-08 08:10 AM
    You might have another option. If you have an unlimited text plan and your operator provides an email address for your phone (mine does - [email protected] for Verizon Wireless) you can forward the email to your BB as a text message. That way you can delete the alert and read the message with the Gmail client. Just remove the account from BIS.
    11-18-08 11:56 AM
    Quick question, G: do you stay signed into Gmail? If so, why?
    11-18-08 01:43 PM
    Nope I do not stay signed in into gmail since i read my email from the client.

Gmail will be good to access archives and search but since the app does not automatically refresh there is no point to let it open. In fact i guess I'll be writing my email from the client using an email address, i just specified another reply-to address... Since the Push really works well on Yahoo! I may try to test a personal domain option with them
    11-18-08 03:23 PM
    You might have another option. If you have an unlimited text plan and your operator provides an email address for your phone (mine does - [email protected] for Verizon Wireless) you can forward the email to your BB as a text message. That way you can delete the alert and read the message with the Gmail client. Just remove the account from BIS.
    I do understand what you mean but I do not have an unlimited sms plan. Plus honestly, having to check the alert, delete it, go the Gmail app, proceed to a refresh to finally read my email is too much trouble for me.

That bold is my first blackberry and I was really looking into a nice email experience.
    11-18-08 03:26 PM
    I've just downloaded and installed the gmail client but I set notification to off. I'd rather let the bb email reader alert me. I like the ability to search deep in my mailbox without having to keep tons of messages along on my BB.

Why the heck would I want to convert my email to sms on a BB? I could see doing this on a number of other phones but I love the way I have BIS working with gmail via imap (so far). Now that I've got the gmail app installed, I think I'll change my email retention policy on my phone to 14 days instead of 30 and save a lot of memory.
    Last edited by r0k; 11-18-08 at 03:44 PM.
    11-18-08 03:42 PM
    I've just downloaded and installed the gmail client but I set notification to off. I'd rather let the bb email reader alert me. I like the ability to search deep in my mailbox without having to keep tons of messages along on my BB.

Why the heck would I want to convert my email to sms on a BB? I could see doing this on a number of other phones but I love the way I have BIS working with gmail via imap (so far). Now that I've got the gmail app installed, I think I'll change my email retention policy on my phone to 14 days instead of 30 and save a lot of memory.

I agree Rok... how have you been? Brighthand, right?
    11-18-08 04:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD