I just purchased this GPS from the CrackBerry store last week and have been trying to get it to work with my Verizon Blackberry Curve 8330. My Blackberry seems to see the GPS and pairs with it but the GPS seems to stay in standby mode or something because it does not ever connect with my phone. I installed BlackStar to see if that would help by having a GPS type software but when I execute BlackStar it says I don't have a GPS connected.

I hope someone can help me get this GPS working so I can have it available for geocaching when I am out and about and don't have my regular GPS with me.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
    10-26-08 08:47 PM
    After you've successfully paired the GPS and the Curve, go to Options / Advanced Options / GPS and make sure the GPS Data Source is set to your GlobalSat. I don't have BlackStar, so I can't check it, but that may be why it's not seeing the GPS.
    10-26-08 10:18 PM
    I use that GPS with a Verizon Pearl. Some of the GPS applications won't activate the BT GPS on their own. I haven't had an issue yet if I fire up the GPS and then connect via Blackberry Maps and BB Maps shows connected with satellites. Leave BB Maps running and launch the other application and they should connect without issue. Something else to check out to see if it helps.
    10-27-08 06:11 AM
    After you've successfully paired the GPS and the Curve, go to Options / Advanced Options / GPS and make sure the GPS Data Source is set to your GlobalSat. I don't have BlackStar, so I can't check it, but that may be why it's not seeing the GPS.
    That may have been my problem. I checked and it was set to Device GPS. I was able to change it to the external GPS but BlackStar is now giving a different error: "Uncaught exception: pushModalScreen called by a non-event thread".

The GPS does seem to be working with Nav4All since it can bring up a map of my location.

I have only had the BlackBerry for a little over a month so I am not sure how to leave the BlackBerry Maps active and go into the BlackStar application. I also don't know how to make sure the GPS is working with Google Maps and BlackBerry Maps. I don't think it is since when I go into Google Maps it says my location is temporally unavailable.

Thanks for the replies.
    10-27-08 07:38 AM
    You can tell if you're tracking in Blackberry Maps because it shows the # of satellites at the bottom. Launch the app and first click on the Options menu within the BB Map application. The top should GPS Source and make sure you select your bluetooth GPS if it isn't already. Then click on Start GPS Navigation in the BB Maps application menu. The bottom portion of the screen should change and it either shows "Searching for satellites" or the number of satellites the GPS is locked on to.

To leave the one application running and go back to the main menu, press the BB symbol button, click Switch application at the bottom of the menu and select your home screen from the list of running applications. You can then launch the other application.
    10-27-08 08:39 AM
    That may have been my problem. I checked and it was set to Device GPS. I was able to change it to the external GPS but BlackStar is now giving a different error: "Uncaught exception: pushModalScreen called by a non-event thread".

The GPS does seem to be working with Nav4All since it can bring up a map of my location.

I have only had the BlackBerry for a little over a month so I am not sure how to leave the BlackBerry Maps active and go into the BlackStar application. I also don't know how to make sure the GPS is working with Google Maps and BlackBerry Maps. I don't think it is since when I go into Google Maps it says my location is temporally unavailable.

Thanks for the replies.
    That sounds like a BlackStar issue to me. I totally revamped all the screens so I don't know if the issue is fixed with the new release or not. But if you upgrade to the new version and still have the problem, add a note to that other thread and I will follow up on it.

I hope to have the new version out there by the time you read this note.
    10-27-08 08:46 AM
    You can tell if you're tracking in Blackberry Maps because it shows the # of satellites at the bottom. Launch the app and first click on the Options menu within the BB Map application. The top should GPS Source and make sure you select your bluetooth GPS if it isn't already. Then click on Start GPS Navigation in the BB Maps application menu. The bottom portion of the screen should change and it either shows "Searching for satellites" or the number of satellites the GPS is locked on to.

To leave the one application running and go back to the main menu, press the BB symbol button, click Switch application at the bottom of the menu and select your home screen from the list of running applications. You can then launch the other application.
    I think I may have a problem because the only way I can get to the BB Maps is via CacheBerry which is a Geocaching Utility. I don't see anything that would be a number of satellites. When I select a cache I have the option to display it either on Google Maps or BB Maps. When I select BB Maps it does display on the BB Maps but I don't have an option to select to use or active a GPS. Should I have BB Maps on my main menu? I do have Google Maps on the main menu but I had to install this.
    Last edited by Ranger Bob; 10-27-08 at 09:08 AM.
    10-27-08 08:59 AM
    Yes, BB Maps normally comes on the unit. BlackBerry - PDA GPS - BlackBerry Maps at BlackBerry.com
    10-27-08 09:23 AM
    Yes, BB Maps normally comes on the unit.
    I checked the installed applications and it showed BB Maps but I went ahead and downloaded and installed the BB Maps again from you link. BB Maps still do not show up on the main menu and when I am in the application it appeals the GPS is not working. I am beginning to think this GPS is a lost cause.
    10-27-08 10:09 AM
    Bob,

You seem to be giving up kind of quick. Getting the application on the home screen should be the default but if not, the application is likely hidden from showing. If you go to the main screen and press the blackberry key to bring up the menu on the main screen, select Show All. That should show all hidden applications. Is BB Maps there? If it is hidden, it is grayed out. Highlight BB Maps, click the menu again, and uncheck Hide. It should then show on the main menu.

As for the GPS, you need to figure out which part isn't configured properly. Is bluetooth enabled on the device? Does it show the bluetooth indicator on the top of the main screen? If you go into the Bluetooth application on the BB, does it show your unit paired with the GPS? When you launch BB maps, and go to options in that application, does it show the GPS source as your BT-GPS? Then when you click on the menu in BB Maps and click Start GPS Navigation you should see the blue light on the GPS start blinking more frequently and depending on your settings, the light on your BB might turn blue.

What happens with the above?
    10-27-08 10:29 AM
    Bob,

You seem to be giving up kind of quick. Getting the application on the home screen should be the default but if not, the application is likely hidden from showing. If you go to the main screen and press the blackberry key to bring up the menu on the main screen, select Show All. That should show all hidden applications. Is BB Maps there? If it is hidden, it is grayed out. Highlight BB Maps, click the menu again, and uncheck Hide. It should then show on the main menu.

As for the GPS, you need to figure out which part isn't configured properly. Is bluetooth enabled on the device? Does it show the bluetooth indicator on the top of the main screen? If you go into the Bluetooth application on the BB, does it show your unit paired with the GPS? When you launch BB maps, and go to options in that application, does it show the GPS source as your BT-GPS? Then when you click on the menu in BB Maps and click Start GPS Navigation you should see the blue light on the GPS start blinking more frequently and depending on your settings, the light on your BB might turn blue.

What happens with the above?
    Ok I stand corrected, BB Maps was on the main menu. It was called just "Maps" so I though it was Google maps but I just tried it and it is BB Maps. When I go into BB Maps Option I do not have a GPS option. The GPS is paired in Bluetooth on the BlackBerry. The GPS has three lights, a yellow light for power, a green light and a blue light. The green light is flashing slowly and I believe that is showing that it is connected with satellites, the blue light is flashing a little faster which I think means the Bluetooth it is connected to the BlackBerry.
    10-27-08 11:34 AM
    You have to tell BBMaps to use the external GPS. Start BBMaps, press the Menu Key, then Options, then select the external GPS as the GPS source.
    10-27-08 11:45 AM
    You have to tell BBMaps to use the external GPS. Start BBMaps, press the Menu Key, then Options, then select the external GPS as the GPS source.
    I don't have that option.
    10-27-08 11:52 AM
    It sounds like you don't have the external device successfully paired. Check Manage Connections / Bluetooth Options / and confirm the external GPS is listed in the Paired Devices.
    10-27-08 11:57 AM
    It sounds like you don't have the external device successfully paired. Check Manage Connections / Bluetooth Options / and confirm the external GPS is listed in the Paired Devices.
    Thanks for your help. Yes that is ok but I found what the problem was. Under Options/Advanced Options/GPS/GPS Services was set to "911 Only". I needed to change it to "Location On". Once I did this BB maps started acting like everyone was telling me it should.
    10-27-08 04:42 PM
    Very odd. Mine is set to 911 Only and works perfectly. That's why I didn't mention it. It should not matter to a Verizon user, since Location On (to my knowledge at least) only works with the internal GPS. I'm glad you figured it out, but I don't understand it.
    10-27-08 04:55 PM
    Very odd. Mine is set to 911 Only and works perfectly. That's why I didn't mention it. It should not matter to a Verizon user, since Location On (to my knowledge at least) only works with the internal GPS. I'm glad you figured it out, but I don't understand it.
    To be honest this may or may not have been the problem. Since I made that change Nav4all stopped working and I just uninstalled it because it did not even have an option to connect to the external GPS. I am loading a lot of caches to CacheBerry but as soon as this is done I am going to go back and change back to 911 service to see if that really had anything to do with the BB Maps GPS option. In any case I have been able to connect to the GPS today and do some navigating with BlackStar. In addition BB Maps are connecting to the GPS.

Thanks again for all your help.
    10-28-08 10:14 AM
    I am having so much trouble getting the GlobalSat BT-338 to work with my BlackBerry 8330 Curve I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion on another external GPS that is working for them with a BlackBerry 8330.

To be honest I have had a lot of trouble with the Bluetooth on this phone and Verizon tells me it is just BlackBerry and a know issue but Verizon Tech support said this is a lot of bull. When they tested it in the store it would pair with some phone and work correctly but with others although it paired it would not work correctly. Verizon Tech support said it should always work but the store said otherwise so I wonder if I just have a screwed up phone. Since I have never had a smart phone or a BlackBerry before I really don't know who to believe. It is probably to late to do anything about the phone since I have had it past the 30 days return date.
    10-28-08 01:19 PM
    I found these links by searching the forum for Globalsat. This is just a sampling, but maybe it'll help.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f79/goo...67/index2.html
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f41/gps...-8830we-65949/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f41/new...t-bt368-59862/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f41/gps...problem-53143/

Do you have the Bluetooth Activity Indicator LED enabled on your 8330? It has to be enabled to maintain a connection.
    10-28-08 02:06 PM
    Do you have the Bluetooth Activity Indicator LED enabled on your 8330? It has to be enabled to maintain a connection.
    Yes I have the LED Connection Indicator "On".

I called the factory about the unit and they told me that it should connect every time I start it so it was not working correctly. They told me to remove the battery for 2-4 hours and then replace it. They felt this would correct the situation and if it didn't I should return it.

Again thank you for all your help.
    10-28-08 02:32 PM
    You may well have a defective GlobalSat unit. If you read the links I posted, you'll see that others are using various models of GlobalSats without trouble. I've known of one person getting a defective Freedom Keychain 2000 as well. It happens. It sounds like they're going to make it good either way. Keep us posted.
    10-28-08 02:41 PM
    The adventure continues. After leaving the battery out for 4 hrs. I replaced it and the BB worked great last night. I thought all my problems had been solved. Then I got up this morning and tried it and I could not get it to find a satellite. I tried and tried and it would never work. I finally called Verizon Tech support and after working with them for about an hour they decided to replace my phone. They are overnighting a new phone to me tomorrow so maybe that will solve the problem. If it doesn't I will replace the BT-337 and see if that does the trick.
    10-29-08 03:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD