Ive never considered myself loyalist, no far from it. It was the other day when I was walking down the street looking at peoples shoes that I realized that I dont own two of the same brand pair of shoes- and this got me wondering: Does that guy wearing the Nikes only buy Nikes, much in the same fashion that someone who buys Blackberry Smart Phones really only buys Blackberries? And then suddenly it dawned on meHey, Ive only bought Blackberries over the last 6 years. I pondered quizzically over the reasoning for this madness and remembered back to my pre-Blackberry phone experiences and quickly began all sorts of things that I began intentionally blocking out of my conscious.

It was never my intention to become such a Blackberry fanatic it was just extremely good work on Research in Motions part to make such bloody good phones for the last number of years. My first real cellphone had been a Nokia 3210, this was pre smart phone and in fact, the only thing I could say that was positive about it was that it was blue. Not to the discredit of Nokia mind you, wed just crossed the millennium computers barely ran at 1 GHz, what could we expect from a mobile device just shy of possibly making a call? Well, that was all really, I can remember sometimes being able to make and receive phone calls but the most common use I had for the device was using it to play snake. Id chosen to upgrade through several similar models thinking that possibly there was one device superior to another but sadly I drowned in a sea of monochromatic despair as devices floundered in their infancy. It was years later, upon hopping carriers that I decided to give Nextel a shot and my very first push to talk device was in hand. The best thing I could say about it was that it was black and a flip phone. I dont even remember what model it was but it did have a one and a half inch screen with maybe thirteen pixels and it was in color. The most endearing feature of Nextel phones was push to talk, which was tantamount to hitting a button on the side of your phone that allowed you to professionally annoy whomever you were attempting to reach. Again, there was no web-capability or email however, I believe this phone was the infancy of a very primitive SMS text option. In any event, by this point everyone I knew owned an awful phone so we were all in the same boat.
    It wasnt until around 2005 that I was introduced to the Blackberry proper.

Yes my very first BB was given to me as part of a push to get all the managers at my company communicating better Id walked into my office to find this wonder device that could not only make and receive calls, but I could get my email real and actual email, messages it was amazing to say the least. As my little Blackberry aged, I would look around at other devices that were newer shinier and still as featureless, or at least not as feature rich as the comparative Blackberry, and it became the norm to just upgrade to the next Blackberry Device. I went through several iterations even delving into the Curve and Pearl lines when those devices would venture into new and interesting places and all was right with the world for several years thereafter. And then

It was around my last upgrade cycle, about the end of 2009 that I had taken notice of the iPhone, it wasnt a shabby device like other its predecessors for new phone candidacy but again, looking at the features available given the Blackberry option it just didnt offer the options I was looking for, and at that point I made my last Blackberry upgrade to a 9700 Bold.

Id like to take a moment to commend RIM on the Blackberry 9700 Bold it was everything I wanted out of a mobile device at the time, and even up against flashier devices like the Storm/2 and iPhone 3gs it still stacks up remarkably wellthe fact that Im still gushing about a year old device with a slow web browser, low resolution tiny screen and (by todays standards) archaic processor and intolerably low amount for application storage even with all these shortcomings I still like this device more than 99% of whats out there. So why, if Im going on about how wonderful Blackberries are, have I switched to Androidbecause I realized that I was holding on to what I liked about Blackberry in the past, and that didnt hold up to what I wanted now.

Most of you are reading this in hopes that I trash or treasure your preferred deviceI wont do that. I simply wanted to convey the things that Ill really miss about my Blackberry and what I like about my new device. But before I get to that, its important to note that I was motivated mostly by the examples of RIMs forward thinking in deference to the changes its making with OS 6 and its newer hardware. More to the point, I felt really coldly toward the 9800 Torch and how its being marketed as a half step between the classic RIM business culture device and the new personal entertainment device in short, I find it a load of hooey. What is it about the 9800 Torch that makes it more personal exactly? Its the same old same old RIM OS, built ground up from previous versions just re-arranged and labeled differently. While some are willing to excuse the lack of innovation and brand whats presented as a smooth transition, or worse yet a familiar feeling, Im decidedly more apathetic.

And I suppose apathy is the best way to describe how I feel about the future of Blackberry its not that I dont appreciate subtle improvements to the browser, or the amount of application memory.its that I cant get past the stagnation in screen resolution, CPU type and speed along with the utter and complete oversight of not including a GPU in this particular deviceand if this is a sign of things to come, Im gone. So what options did I have left? There was an iPhone but Apples big brother mentality and overbearing development approval process scared me off of their products years agoand Android, which for all intents and purposes was a sort of open standard operating system on a piece of hardware that I fell immediately in love with so my end choice was a Samsung Vibrant (a Galaxy-S phone, this particular model offered from T-Mobile). So lets get down to it what do I like, what do I missand whats the skinny.

What I like:
    Well whats not to like? The hardware in design is genius modeled after the iPhone (or at least, homage if you will) the Samsung Vibrant is a glorious piece of technology running a 1 GHz Hummingbird processor and a screen that is just a marvel to behold.

Display: Apparently a somewhat smaller version screen when compared to other Android devices available, the 4 inch SAMOLED display is something to witness yourself. Ive never seen such clarity in a display and in fact, Im waiting until this technology is brought to televisions before I upgrade next time. The blacks are really black, the colors are vibrant and while it may not offer the highest resolution screen out there it offers clean icons and text while presenting media in stunning fashion.

Touch screen/Input: Id played around with iPhones and other touchscreen devices pretty seriously before my 9700 upgrade last year and what a difference a year has made. The haptic feedback is satisfying, the precision of touch is a lot more accurate that what I was prepared for and Im not sure if its that processor speed is so much improved, but I dont get that lag feeling I had when considering phones from last year (the 3gs and Storm 2 included).

Application Management: One of the nice thing about Blackberries is that you have complete control over open applications, and it was one of the areas most of us die-hards have become pros at managing (mostly out of necessity) I was greatly apprehensive about moving to a new device mainly because Id become such an expert at managing my current, but soon found that managing open applications, icon layout general navigation all of those were easily learned and a lot more intuitive than whats necessary on a Blackberry (well without 3rd party applications anyway).

Build Quality Another area of particular concern, my Blackberry 9700 and 8900 before it were tanks theyd been manhandled, dropped, stepped and sat on for years so I was concerned when I picked up a device that had a fraction of the weight of my previous device, a third the girth and a cheap (looking) plastic battery door coverIve been pleasantly surprised thus far. The device is just solid, and when I say that I mean my 7 month old daughter and 3 year old son have taken off with it and Ive found it no worse for the wear after their abuse. Theres this huge touchscreen surrounded by a thin plastic frame so I thought for sure thered be some give, or wrenching to the device again, Ive been pleasantly surprised.

Browsing and Social Application Use: Oh godits amazing. Im not going to say that browsing the internet is painful, butwell yes I am. Im used to starting to load a web page then getting coffee and having a smoke before the page loads part of the wonderful reality of having all of your data request go through BB servers before they get to your device - and that was just to load mobile versions of website, god help you if you wanted to load a full web page. With the android, I get what Id define as near broadband speeds with a full web experience. Im going to acknowledge that RIM has made the web somewhat more accessible with its web-kit browser (currently slated for three existing devices) but the speed at which actual web pages load is dismal so you might as well discount it all together.

SWYPE I know this isnt specific to my phone, but I love it. Swype, if youve been hiding out from the thousands of TV commercials about the silly Guinness texting record, is an input algorithm for on screen keyboards that calculates approximations of your finger position rather than relying on your big fingers to hit the tiny on screen keys to make a stroke. It works like this you get an onscreen keyboard, lets say you want to type the word Avenged youd put your finger on the screen over the A then move your finger (without taking it off the screen) to the area of V then Eso on and so forth and then remove your finger from the screen when you get to the D. The system calculates your finger position and approximates what you were typing and uses some sort of decision engine to decide the word you typed vs. other possibilities (which it will list if there are any). While this sounds complex in process its SO MUCH more accurate than it sounds, and AMAZINGLY quick. Id been on a blackberry keyboard for a long time, it was one of the things that held me to the device and I was terrified to transition to a keyboard. I can say that after a week, Im faster and more accurate with swype and only require one finger to type. Thats pretty amazing.

Things I miss about my Blackberry:

I miss my LED notification window there I said it I really do, the first couple of days on the Android were somewhat jarring looking down at a sleeping device, not knowing if I had any text messages or emailsI cant understand why it would be so hard to include a little blinking LED, but its an omission that Im having a hard time with

Battery Life I wont go as far as to say that battery life on my Vibrant is abysmal- quite contrary its probably really good for an Android phone but Im used to having the holy grail of all battery experiences with my 9700 bold. Once, I went four full days without charging that sucker and it still had almost 20% of its battery capacity left, and that was with heavy use. I think what Im experiencing is going from an amazingly energy efficient device, to an average efficiency devicebut because the bar was set so highit feels a lot worse than it really is. I get about 7 hours of life out of my Android when fully charged (that includes a normal days worth of calls, texting, browsing which I do a lot more of now thank you very much, and general use) not the end of the worldbut I miss the reliability and convenience of forgetting my charger at home when Im out for the weekend

GPS The GPS on the Vibrant sucksperiod the end. I know its going to get fixed with some Froyo or Frodo patch on the horizon, but I dont care if the hobbits show up and fix it themselves the GPS on this thing was unreliable out of the box, and that shouldnt have been.

Push Email OK, you knew this was coming. Its the one thing that Blackberry does better than anyone else I miss my instant emails. There I said it. Enough to keep me on Blackberry? Certainly not, but it is a feature that I miss when I live without it. That being said, GMAIL works amazingly well (as it should) and is as-instant as any push account so there are ways to get your email to you sooner.

The bottom line:
    Honestly, Im not kicking myself for waiting this long to transition from my beloved Blackberry. I think the timing was just right, and had I moved sooner I may not be so happy with where I ended up. RIM has sort of painted itself into a corner with the Blackberry over the last couple of years they were founded on a strong business structure, and now that more people want to use them for non-business purposestheyre having a hard time evolving their device without alienating what they were originally meant to be. I think thats where the critical impasse comes into play and where everyone needs to make a decision for themselves Do I want a phone to use for surfing the web, social applications, playing games and general communication along with some advanced media features? If yes, its time to drop the Blackberry their model isnt evolving fast enough to keep up with the Joness even though they are trying valiantly to keep up. If youre looking for a device solely to receive and send messages, maybe look up a phone number or do some light internet browsingthen Blackberry is probably right for you.

Me personally? Im ready to move past the limitations that RIM has set for the Blackberry brand. Will I ever come back? Maybe someday when they prioritize general, social and media use as more important that iron-curtain security.

Jack
    09-20-10 10:48 PM
    Great post, and it sounds like you found a device that suits your needs well. Always glad to hear when that happens, regardless of what it is.

Some here wont like it, but thank you for posting an honest assesssment. Im sure new folks trying todecide on a device would find the review quite helpful.
    09-21-10 12:01 AM
    BB and Android phones are certainly different creatures altogether. I don't imagine many people will like BOTH. Currently, I'm on the BB side of the fence. Someday, I expect that to change.
    09-21-10 12:06 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/all-...t-here-260887/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-21-10 01:06 AM
    Excellent and well written post. My contract is until Sept 2011 and I'm really thinking seriously about leaving BlackBerry.

09-21-10 01:21 AM
    I absolutely agree (and god forbid anyone do a well thought out and put together comparison post without exelant showing up solely to spam the leaving berry thread link )...I love my Vibrant so much I can't believe it. The only thing I miss about my BB and my Pre is the LED. I am getting my email as fast if not faster than on my BB though...thanks gmail!

Samsung really hit it out of the park.
    09-21-10 01:25 AM

Samsung really hit it out of the park.
    Agreed - now if I can just get this battery life under control all will beright with the world

Jack
    09-21-10 11:39 AM
    Interesting and well-written post. My husband left BlackBerry for the Vibrant this summer. He spent this weekend trying to convince me that I should move to the Vibrant as well when my contract is up next year. I remain unconvinced, although he still has until next October.

We used his as a GPS this weekend to attend a funeral. Worked perfectly, although he's an IT guy and I seriously doubt he left it as it came out of the box.

You have given me some interesting points to ponder. I am currently with my Berry because it is the first phone since my Motorola Razr that has worked consistently. I, too had a slew of junky phones that would only sometimes receive calls. I missed calls from my daughter at school, from the doctor, from my elderly grandma. Not cool. My problem is that I tend to be fiercely loyal to something that is reliable.

That being said, my husband has never had any issues with his phone, either...
    09-21-10 11:42 AM
    It would have to be a pretty damn amazing experience for me to put up with a 7 hours battery life, I don't know how anybody using their phone for business can cope with that. I think the 9700 battery doesn't last long enough and I once killed 2 Storm batteries in one working day.

09-21-10 11:50 AM

We used his as a GPS this weekend to attend a funeral. Worked perfectly, although he's an IT guy and I seriously doubt he left it as it came out of the box.
    You make a good point, I suppose I should better articuate my issues with the GPS on the Vibrant - I would hate to scare someone off of this device off some off-hand experience that I've had with it.

First, the GPS does work - it's not disabled or anything. My results have been hit or miss...mostly miss. The issue isn't that I can't find signal or sattelites to connect to - it's that my exact location is pretty far off the mark (100+ yards or so) in most of the areas where I've tried it - making turn by turn navigation nearly impossible. The compass is another issue, routinely pointing me in either the wrong direction or flat out not being able to point.

I would like to point out that these issues ARE temporary (not even speculatively so). I recently ran into a friend that had used an early version of the "GPS fix" associated with the Android 2.2 upcoming software update - and I can say that he doesn't experience ANY of the issues that I've encountered so far.

So why did I note it? Obviously, Samsung and/or Tmobile knew this was a problem and have an update out there to address it- so my gripe is that it hasn't been pushed out as a seperate OTA software update, and Tmobile is notoriously slow on thie OS approval process - it didn't work out of the box - and that's what is damaging my opinion.

Just wanted to clarify

Jack
    09-21-10 12:55 PM
    It would have to be a pretty damn amazing experience for me to put up with a 7 hours battery life, I don't know how anybody using their phone for business can cope with that. I think the 9700 battery doesn't last long enough and I once killed 2 Storm batteries in one working day.

Ya, it's taken some adjustment, I'll grant you that. The biggest issue is remembering to plug in the unit when I get to my desk or in my car. Is it an inconvenience? Yes - but one that I'm willing to put up with as the advangates far outweigh the inconvenience. And to answre your implied question - it is a "pretty damn amazing experience." The screen, in and of itself is worth the price of admission - I wish I could manage a frame-buffer capture of Avatar for you - though...the blacklevels wouldn't be properly displayed anyway. My father-in law and wife have both seperatly mentioned that it's so black and so bright (in respective places) that the image has a 3d feel to it - I don't know that I'd go that far - but it's amazing, and the screen depth is unparallelled. As I said, I'd fork out whatever it costs once this display type is used in a proper 50+ inch television display running at 120Hz (and preferably 1080p )

Jack
    09-21-10 12:59 PM
    Ya, it's taken some adjustment, I'll grant you that. The biggest issue is remembering to plug in the unit when I get to my desk or in my car. Is it an inconvenience? Yes - but one that I'm willing to put up with as the advangates far outweigh the inconvenience. And to answre your implied question - it is a "pretty damn amazing experience." The screen, in and of itself is worth the price of admission - I wish I could manage a frame-buffer capture of Avatar for you - though...the blacklevels wouldn't be properly displayed anyway. My father-in law and wife have both seperatly mentioned that it's so black and so bright (in respective places) that the image has a 3d feel to it - I don't know that I'd go that far - but it's amazing, and the screen depth is unparallelled. As I said, I'd fork out whatever it costs once this display type is used in a proper 50+ inch television display running at 120Hz (and preferably 1080p )

Jack
    That would be soooo wasted on me, I'm colour blind lol.

09-21-10 03:36 PM
    Lol that's funny so am I- don't worry screen still looks amazing
    Jack
    09-21-10 09:06 PM
    Unless blackberry can come up with something better for verizon than the 9650, this will be my last blackberry. I need a phone that maximizes my data plan and the 9650 is a major failure for internet use. I could care less about push emails. I read emails on the computer anyway and I don't need to be bothered with emails when I'm out. These are good for business. I don't need push mail for my personal phone.

Anther thing I noticed is everyone who has two phones and one is a Blackberry, I ask which one is their personal phone and its always the other phone. Everyone says their blackberry is for work. There must be a reason why nobody's blackberry is their personal phone.

For my money on a data plan and phone service, the current blackberrys don't cut it. As for the phone service, as long as I stay with Verizon, it will never be an issue.

Sure the phones are built well but Blackberry has to get OS6 going so I can at least tolerate the phone with an improved web browser until I get a new one.

If Blackberry comes out with something more similar to the iPhone,Droid or the Torch, i'll stay with it but I'm not sure that will happen.
    Last edited by zwoof; 09-21-10 at 10:31 PM.
    09-21-10 10:26 PM
    Unless blackberry can come up with something better for verizon than the 9650, this will be my last blackberry. I need a phone that maximizes my data plan and the 9650 is a major failure for internet use. I could care less about push emails. I read emails on the computer anyway and I don't need to be bothered with emails when I'm out. These are good for business. I don't need push mail for my personal phone.

Anther thing I noticed is everyone who has two phones and one is a Blackberry, I ask which one is their personal phone and its always the other phone. Everyone says their blackberry is for work. There must be a reason why nobody's blackberry is their personal phone.

For my money on a data plan and phone service, the current blackberrys don't cut it. As for the phone service, as long as I stay with Verizon, it will never be an issue.

Sure the phones are built well but Blackberry has to get OS6 going so I can at least tolerate the phone with an improved web browser until I get a new one.

If Blackberry comes out with something more similar to the iPhone,Droid or the Torch, i'll stay with it but I'm not sure that will happen.
    Sorry for stating the obvious but if you couldn't care less about push email you don't need blackberry and you should've never bought a blackberry. Basically you bought a phone with features you don't need and with features you wish it had.
    And blackberry did come out with something similar to the Torch, it's called..........Torch.
    Ok, that was cheeky

Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 09-22-10 at 02:16 AM.
    09-22-10 02:07 AM
    Sorry for stating the obvious but if you couldn't care less about push email you don't need blackberry and you should've never bought a blackberry. Basically you bought a phone with features you don't need and with features you wish it had.
    And blackberry did come out with something similar to the Torch, it's called..........Torch.
    Ok, that was cheeky

This thread made me laugh twice - this comment and the one about "hobbits come to fix it themselves". Beautiful.
    All in all a great post, another intelligent being graces us with a well thought-out farewell post.
    09-22-10 02:33 AM
    That was a great read OP. You tried new devices and it worked out for you. Over time the vibrant will get that lag hesitation it got to a point where I had to find a solution which was to root the phone and apply the one click lag fix.

After that it was smooth sailing from there. One drawback about the vibrant is the lack of camera flash. Most people go out at night and want those quick camera shots but so far the vibrant failed to capture those moments. Outdoor pictures are superb tho. I still miss the blackberry and hoping to get a 9700 for cheap to keep as a messaging device. Nothing beats RIM in portrait keyboards.

09-22-10 03:56 AM
    Awesome that you found a phone that suits your needs, wants, and lifestyle! Enjoy it in good health!

09-22-10 05:34 AM
    This thread made me laugh twice - this comment and the one about "hobbits come to fix it themselves". Beautiful.
    All in all a great post, another intelligent being graces us with a well thought-out farewell post.
    It isn't so much farewell as it is "hey check this out"
    Ibe been with this site too long to abandon it because I got a new phone. Plus, threes always afn android forum that could use some living up!

Youre not getting rfid of me that easily!

Jack
    09-22-10 07:07 AM
    It isn't so much farewell as it is "hey check this out"
    Ibe been with this site too long to abandon it because I got a new phone. Plus, threes always afn android forum that could use some living up!

Youre not getting rfid of me that easily!

Jack
    Yeah, well, that's the problem lol, too many android owners here already that can't believe the whole world is not following in their footsteps.
    By the way, why did you think your experience was special enough to generate a new thread when there's a sticky thread at the top especially for people in your position?

09-22-10 07:23 AM
    My BlackBerry is my personal phone, same as everyone I know who owns one. Some had even switched from iPhone and couldn't be happier. Personally I see absolutely no reason to switch to an iPhone or Android device as the BB does what I need it to do and does it perfectly.
    09-22-10 09:27 AM
    Ok, that was cheeky

If Verizon came out with the Torch, that's what I'd have gotten. I know Blackberrys are well made phones but I find gettiing around the internet is difficult with the browser. Data plans are expensive and surfing the net should be easy. I agree that I got a phone that don't fit the way I use the phone too well but it's done already and no way I'm switching to ATT, TMobile or any other carrier for wireless. I just gotta hope that OS6 for the 9650 becomes final with all the kinks worked out and at least get to use the webkit browser. The OS6 made nice improvements for my 9650 but it's still too buggy to keep using it but worth testing because it was functional.
    09-22-10 09:37 AM
    I used to have and iPhone and I have an android phone now.

The other day I bought a Kindle (e-reader) that does just only that and some basic web browsing, but it does ok. Amazon has have a great success with the Kindle for doing just one thing but better than the rest. There are lot of discussions about ipad / tablets and Kindle, but everybody agrees that for reading Kindle is the best.

What this has to be with BBs? Because yesterday I bought one, because I think in some way it is better go back to basics. This means for me just only a handy device, fast email, easy to type, battery life and call quality.

I think BB does this 5 things better than others even when it seams old.

Now it seams to be the time for the tablets and in some way I see there is no point to have a 4" mobile that is good for some things but not the best as a 7" tablet.

Nowadays I think it is better to have a handy but powerful mobile + another device where the screen is the issue (tablet, e-reader, etc)
    10-05-10 02:28 AM
    My BB is my ONLY phone. Paid for by me. And I know plenty of other people with just a BB as their only (personal) phone.

I checked out my dad's new Droid X the other day. I was completely amazed and befuddled to discover that I could not delete an email from the Inbox without opening it first. And I could not multi-select a group of email messages and then delete them all at once. Both of these things are easily done on my Storm2. As they were on my Storm 1 and my Pearl before that. And I assume this limitation holds across all Android phones, not just the X.

It slays me how some of the newer phones keep touting things like multi-tasking and multi-touch screens as if they are new and exclusive to their new phone when BB's have been doing multi-tasking for years and even my Storm1 had a multi-touch screen (a la multi-selecting items or highlighting both ends of a piece of text to do *gasp* cut/copy/paste).

Most of the new Android phones have bigger, nicer screens than any BB. And the latest and greatest that can play Flash have that leg up on the competition. But, with BBOS 6 supporting Flash, all I really see in favor of Android is bigger screens and a bit faster performance (at the expense of crappy battery life) - compared to the best that BB has to offer right now. Even my Storm2 provides a very acceptable web browsing experience when using Opera Mini. And none of the Android advantages are worth the loss of functionality when it comes to email/messaging, TO ME. As for screen size and resolution, for me, if I want to watch a video, 3.7" vs 4.3" doesn't really matter to me. I'll watch on a laptop or a TV, thanks.
    10-05-10 12:23 PM
    I think the OP has some excellent points. In fact, I'm starting to think about switching to Android as well, and his analysis did a good job convincing me that I might be able to overcome the features I thought I might miss on my 9700.
    10-05-10 03:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD