http://mobile2.wsj.com/device/article.php?mid=1&CALL_URL=http://www.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704547604576263261679848814.html?m od=WSJ_hp_LEFTTopStories

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-23-11 06:42 AM
    The Really Smart Phone - WSJ.com

i am guessing this is what you were going for since you link goes to nothing specific?
    04-23-11 06:52 AM
    The Really Smart Phone - WSJ.com

i am guessing this is what you were going for since you link goes to nothing specific?
    Lol, yeah, thanks for that. I didn't notice.

04-23-11 06:53 AM
    Wow, that's def amazing stuff. And a bit creepy and Big Brother-ish to me. And I suspect this is really just the beginning as the snowball gains momentum and keeps growing. Thx for posting.

04-23-11 08:31 AM
    holy creepy, is all i can say. I find this disturbing because i wonder, all these phones that have those particular capabilities, do the owners of these phones even know they are being "monitored".........
    04-23-11 09:26 AM
    If things are really moving into this direction I might just have to go old school in my mobile phone choices, old non camera/wifi/gps lol
    What really gets me is they are making use of the data I pay for to make this work, might not be much but it's mine, I pay for it every month. And they'll cost you money if you're roaming as every single kb costs you money.

04-23-11 09:41 AM
    holy creepy, is all i can say. I find this disturbing because i wonder, all these phones that have those particular capabilities, do the owners of these phones even know they are being "monitored".........
    i didnt read the whole article but my guess is yes they do. like a trial program or whatever
    04-23-11 10:01 AM
    If things are really moving into this direction I might just have to go old school in my mobile phone choices, old non camera/wifi/gps lol
    What really gets me is they are making use of the data I pay for to make this work, might not be much but it's mine, I pay for it every month. And they'll cost you money if you're roaming as every single kb costs you money.

Much of the tracking information they use isn't using data at all, it is based on cell triangulation records

04-23-11 10:42 AM
    i didnt read the whole article but my guess is yes they do. like a trial program or whatever
    yea howarmat, I didn't read all the way thru either, but even still, why would anyone agree to doing this--its like a 'home invasion' ,lol.

04-23-11 11:00 AM
    sounds like we are headed to that cliche sci-fi movies where the government tracks everything you do lol
    04-23-11 11:22 AM
    You mean the NWO.

04-23-11 11:33 AM
    Much of the tracking information they use isn't using data at all, it is based on cell triangulation records

Yep. Gonna have to stop using cellphones in general if you want this to stop.
    04-23-11 11:38 AM
    Did you notice how at the end of the article it said the students got to keep the phones??? Goody! People will sell out liberty for so little ... Good thing American patriot Patrick Henry did not proclaim, "Give me liberty, or give me benefits!"

04-23-11 11:51 AM

Yeah but they use your data to send all the info back to the mothership.

04-23-11 12:00 PM
    Somebody put it this way: here's a free pizza, now let me punch you in the face

04-23-11 12:26 PM
    You mean this mothership?: Planet Groovy | Video | MTV

:-)
    04-23-11 12:29 PM
    This isn't the first article I've seen on this or similar topcs. While I haven't seen everything, of the ones I have read, they always talk about collecting data from iPhone and Android. BlackBerry is noticibly absent.

I wonder why.

04-23-11 02:00 PM
    Yeah but they use your data to send all the info back to the mothership.

Most of the data they are "transmitting" isn't actual data, they already log who you call, how long you talk and where you are JUST for billing reasons, with that info alone they can link contacts and track which contacts are talking to who and where they are, that is zero data transimision.

It is the 3rd party apps that send the pictures, or GPS locations via GPS and not from triangulation that might use data

04-23-11 04:52 PM
    sounds like we are headed to that cliche sci-fi movies where the government tracks everything you do lol
    Wait, you mean they don't already?

I think this is super fascinating, and super creepy at the same time. The amount of info that can be gathered from just normal cellular usage records is crazy. It's definitely a market researcher's jackpot.
    04-23-11 05:24 PM
    This isn't the first article I've seen on this or similar topcs. While I haven't seen everything, of the ones I have read, they always talk about collecting data from iPhone and Android. BlackBerry is noticibly absent.

I wonder why.

Because no one wants to talk about Blackberrys because their so secure, our not. All mobile devices have some form of data collection, but most platforms give the user the option of opting out of the collecting aspect off the app. With Apple, the user is denied the option.
    04-23-11 05:41 PM
    Most of the data they are "transmitting" isn't actual data, they already log who you call, how long you talk and where you are JUST for billing reasons, with that info alone they can link contacts and track which contacts are talking to who and where they are, that is zero data transimision.

It is the 3rd party apps that send the pictures, or GPS locations via GPS and not from triangulation that might use data

Wrong, that's the carriers doing what you said, manufacturers have to do their own separate tracking and have to use your own data plan to transmit it back. Apple gets the data from the phone not the carrier.

04-23-11 06:20 PM
    the "bad" people are way ahead of the curve from the regular soccer mom and the spoiled 13 yr old sporting an iphone 4.
    they're using burner phones. ( your average pre-paid phone) that you can buy at any convenience store. Use it once, then throw it after.
    04-23-11 08:46 PM
    This has been the scariest thing I read all day, unfortunately not scary enough to keep me off my Crackberry
    04-25-11 06:43 PM
    I'm surprised that people are surprised at this.
    First, because of the nature of a cell phone, carriers will want to know where the most use happens so they can improve networks/service.
    Second, there have been tons of reports of carriers keeping cell triangulation, how else would FBI and other law enforcements get it via subpeopna?
    Third, it's not unconstitutional. Private companies can do pretty much whatever they want as long as they don't discriminate on race or gender, and they can even do that if they have a legitimate and compelling reason that can't be obtained any other way. For crap's sake, where do you think Google makes their money?
    Fourth, this isn't government. Although Congress probably could track you if they wanted under the commerce clause (for all us Americans).
    Get used to it. If you don't like it, talk with your wallet, but I doubt it will change.
    It sucks, but its true. Get working on the Newspeak.
    04-25-11 11:02 PM
    I'm surprised that people are surprised at this.
    First, because of the nature of a cell phone, carriers will want to know where the most use happens so they can improve networks/service.
    Second, there have been tons of reports of carriers keeping cell triangulation, how else would FBI and other law enforcements get it via subpeopna?
    Third, it's not unconstitutional. Private companies can do pretty much whatever they want as long as they don't discriminate on race or gender, and they can even do that if they have a legitimate and compelling reason that can't be obtained any other way. For crap's sake, where do you think Google makes their money?
    Fourth, this isn't government. Although Congress probably could track you if they wanted under the commerce clause (for all us Americans).
    Get used to it. If you don't like it, talk with your wallet, but I doubt it will change.
    It sucks, but its true. Get working on the Newspeak.
    Google, Apple, Facebook etc are not carriers, don't get them confused.

04-26-11 02:50 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD