I might be selling my BlackBerry Pearl on eBay soon, so I'd like to know how to make sure the device is fully wiped (I know you can wipe the device in the settings, but does that also make sure files can't be recovered, i.e. does it zero out the data?), and I want to know how to release the PIN so the buyer can use BlackBerry Services properly.

Thanks!
    04-15-11 07:38 AM
    1. Do a Security Wipe on the device itself.
    2. Do a device wipe with BBSAK.
    3. Remove the device from your BIS account and from your phone account.
    04-15-11 11:34 AM
    Right, I've just wiped the BlackBerry and it "scrubbed" the memory too, which is apparently it zeroing out the data. All good on that end.

I used the phone on a pay as you go plan and, since I don't have enough credit on my account anymore, my BIS account is dead. I can't get data on the BB neither can I log into it on the network site and change anything.

As I understand it, BIS accounts are attached to SIM cards, though, right? So the buyer will put their own SIM in and set up their own BIS, they won't get my BIS with my e-mail accounts and that come up?
    05-21-11 09:30 AM
    The BIS is attached to the SIM but the device PIN is attached to the BIS as well.
    05-21-11 07:06 PM
    If you don't have access through the device's BIS account, or the web access site, you can call your carrier to have the PIN removed from your BIS account...

If you are getting a new blackberry, once you put your sim in, BIS should detect the change and do a device switch for you... If this is the case, then the old PIN is automatically released, as it will no longer be associated with an account.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-11 08:53 PM
    in GSM phones, the minute you pull your SIM card out of the phone, your BIS account should drop the PIN. when the buyer goes and inserts their SIM, it will automatically add their PIN onto their account, and will register on the BB network once the phone is booted up. unless you own a CDMA phone, theres no need to call the carrier or log into BIS to remove the PIN. but you can be more than welcome to double check.

all you should have to do it wipe in BBSAK and reload the OS. just dont restore and previous data.
    05-21-11 10:05 PM
    Thanks for the help

I think I'll get shot of it after I get the new BB, just to be sure everything's fine with the BIS.
    05-22-11 01:00 PM
    How many times does BBSAK wipe your device? If it just delete it without rewriting over it several times than couldn't someone still recover the data?
    05-22-11 02:20 PM
    How many times does BBSAK wipe your device? If it just delete it without rewriting over it several times than couldn't someone still recover the data?
    If you turn content protection on with your phone and just do a wipe, it'll zero out all your data, and with content protection it was all encrypted in the first place, so that's the most secure way of doing it.
    blue81to likes this.
    05-22-11 05:28 PM
    1. Do a Security Wipe on the device itself.
    2. Do a device wipe with BBSAK.
    3. Remove the device from your BIS account and from your phone account.
    Yes, make sure to do step three. The device pin is still tied to your BIS account unless you put your sim into another blackberry. Just call your carrier and you shouldn't have a problem.

05-22-11 08:16 PM
  11. T
    If you turn content protection on with your phone and just do a wipe, it'll zero out all your data, and with content protection it was all encrypted in the first place, so that's the most secure way of doing it.
    That makes sense to me, but why are people recommending the use of "BBSAK" (not sure what that even is)?

05-22-11 08:36 PM
    That makes sense to me, but why are people recommending the use of "BBSAK" (not sure what that even is)?

Blackberry Swiss Army Knife

its an app that lets you control certain functions of your blackberry that DM and apploader cant do. it has a wipe feature, which will wipe the OS off the phone, not even just a regular security wipe. i use this when i return phones to the carrier for warranty replacement.
    05-22-11 09:30 PM
  13. T
    Blackberry Swiss Army Knife

its an app that lets you control certain functions of your blackberry that DM and apploader cant do. it has a wipe feature, which will wipe the OS off the phone, not even just a regular security wipe. i use this when i return phones to the carrier for warranty replacement.
    Thanks. Seems like a good program. But I wonder why someone would want to have the phone render a 571 error upon wipe ... Why not just do a normal BlackBerry security wipe?

05-22-11 10:06 PM
    Thanks. Seems like a good program. But I wonder why someone would want to have the phone render a 571 error upon wipe ... Why not just do a normal BlackBerry security wipe?

i dont know. i think its more of a true wipe and more secure.
    05-22-11 10:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD