A friend of mine found this and she used one to get out of her cell contract and it worked like a charm. Can anyone guess which one it was?

Remember when you signed up last year for a new phone, only to find out that you�re not getting the service you want from your carrier? You call the carrier, and politely ask to cancel your contract � only to discover that there�s a $249 penalty for opting to end your contract early. Luckily, you�re not completely stuck. With a little luck and some pressure on customer service, you too can get out of your contract without paying a cancellation fee. Here are six ways to drop your cell phone contract without paying a fee!

Method #1 - Become an unprofitable customer

Your cellular provider wants you to be a customer because they make lots of money from you. This is because even after their fixed costs of operation - the cost of your monthly calls in far less than what you pay them each month. The trick is to make yourself unprofitable for them. Here�s how: The major carriers in the US all offer free roaming within the United States. These roaming minutes cost the carriers far more than the minutes you use on their own network. By getting to a location where your phone roams on a different network and making a few long (2 hour?) phone calls each month � the carrier�s system will quickly notify them that your calls are starting to cost them way too much. After 2 months of this you will typically be contacted by the carrier who will be more than happy to have you drop the contract. Another tip � make these calls on the weekends or at night so that the air time will not be deducted off your monthly minutes.

Method #2 - Complain of Poor Service

If the reason you want to quit is an issue with your cellular service (dropped calls? Garbled voice?) call your carrier several times to complain. Tell them about the constant dropped calls, unreceived text messages, and garbled voice mails. You�re going to need to do this more then once, so be firm. At some point tell the agent that they are simply not keeping their terms of the contract (providing proper service), and that you are requesting that they set you free without any termination fee. Consider threatening legal action or writing them up in your �very popular blog� if necessary, and ask to speak to a supervisor whenever possible.

Method #3 - Cite Contract Changes

Last year, both Sprint and Cingular announced changes to their contract, specifically in relation to payments for text messages. Since this is an explicit contract change, it gives you the ability to get out of your contract, as long as you don�t agree to the new terms. While this loophole doesn�t come often, it is probably the safest and easiest way to get out of your contract. Keep an eye on your bill and online forums to stay abreast of possible upcoming changes, and then call your carrier and give them ****!

Method #4 -Move to a place with no reception

Look online at your cellular carrier�s coverage map, and find somewhere where they have no coverage � then move there (or at least move your address there). Your carrier can�t keep you bound to a contract if they can�t provide service. Beware � most carriers will ask to see a proof of address change (driver�s license, utility bill) before letting you out of the contract. It may be enough to simply inform them that your primary residence is now in the basement of your building and there is no reception there. If renting a U-Haul truck and getting a new place in the country is not your speed, there may be a company or two online who can help you �change addresses�.

Method #5 - Get Drafted to a war zone

Join the Marine Corps. Travel the World, Meet interesting people, and dump your cell phone contract. If you get posted overseas/to a war zone, the carrier will generally relieve you of your contract. Depending on your customer service agent, you may be required to provide either a APO/FPO, a Military ID, or orders posting you overseas. The United States Marine Corps has more information on the recruitment process here (U.S. Marine Corps) Semper Fi!

Method #6 - Inform the carrier of your untimely demise

If one were to die (say, at a ripe old age), their contract does not get passed on to next of kin. Rather, it becomes null and void, so your loved ones won�t have to pay the fee when they want to port your number and service to a different carrier in the middle of your contract. Be advised: Cingular, T-Mobile, Sprint, and Verizon will all require a death certificate before releasing you from the contract. There�s an interesting article here (How to fake your own [email protected]) about faking your own death. Meanwhile I recommend you eat healthy.

In short there are several strategies that you can use to get out of a cell contract. I don�t recommend that you do anything illegal or unethical � but if you are unhappy I think you are entitled to use appropriate means to get the result you need. Disclaimer: Please contact your lawyer before doing anything that could be illegal or otherwise ill-advised.
    11-03-09 08:26 AM
    Move to a place with poor reception, "her basement".
    11-03-09 12:36 PM
    4 and 5 would work!
    11-03-09 01:13 PM
    none of these will work, we dont gauranty service in any bldg, only changes to the voice would invalidate to contract, all other items are features. whice we can remove or update at any time
    11-03-09 01:31 PM
    wow..... this is an interesting list...
    11-03-09 01:33 PM
    She used number 1 and it worked like a charm.... She never even called them they called her and ask if she would be willing to leave op out of the contract and in return they told her to keep her BB. They even sent her a letter and everything...

I really did think it was funny.. She is not a person that likes any conflicts so she sais she gave that one a try and sure enough with in the month they had contacted her...
    11-03-09 05:06 PM
    Be easier to pay the $249 i think?
    11-03-09 05:24 PM
    I wasn't even paying attention to the article.. my eyes kept popping over to your Avatar.. who is that? :P
    11-03-09 05:55 PM
    I wasn't even paying attention to the article.. my eyes kept popping over to your Avatar.. who is that? :P
    x2!!!!!!!!!!
    11-03-09 06:28 PM
    LOL I'm not the only one then
    11-03-09 06:33 PM
    What article?
    11-03-09 06:40 PM
    very nice article but you gotta let us know who the girl is ha ha
    11-03-09 08:55 PM
    As far as #1 goes; I've heard of people who change their settings on their phone to run on a competitors network. Say you have T-Mobile, change the settings to only run on the at&t network. It appears as if you are roaming even if you are in a T-Mobile area.
    11-03-09 09:01 PM
    I like the ideas.. Not sure if going with a Iphone... I do i'll let you know which worked for me.
    11-03-09 09:06 PM
    Years ago I used #5. They wanted more information but I told them it was "Classified Information". I think they've tightened the rules since then.
    11-03-09 09:12 PM
    Telus changed their contract at the beginning of october, i used that and got out of 26 remaining months for free
    11-04-09 08:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD