I have the new blackberry tour for verizon. I assumed it would work overseas because it it a world phone. I am in Switzerland and all i see is the red SOS at the top. I can't make any calls or do anything at all. I will be here for 4 months so i need to work. Can someone please help me with the process of having my phone work. Thank you
    08-24-09 01:09 AM
    Call verizon and see what their options are. Usually you let verizon know before you leave so they can have your international plan set up for you. i am sure they can get you set up. Be careful, your phone calls will cost you a lot no matter what you do with VZW. If your phone is unlocked you could just get a SIM for a carrier in switzerland
    08-24-09 01:14 AM
    you need to call verizon global support and make sure that they have activated your sim card... I had this problem with a friend's storm in Italy.
    08-24-09 01:17 AM
    I am going to switzerland in a week. I have a sim in my verizon tour. Can I get email on my tour for little cost, and buy a sim for my unlocked razor to talk for less? Should I buy from cellular abroad, or go for a local sim at the airport in Zurich?

Also, I use a lot of data with podtrapper, should I disable it to avoid large charges?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

09-04-09 09:53 PM
    I am on att. They offer prepaid international data when overseas as well as international long distance so your calls are more affordable. Having said that, there are many providers of pre paid sim cards in Europe, that might me a better option for you if you can live with a different local number while you are away?

09-04-09 11:10 PM
    I had an international data plan added for my trip... it was only an additional $20/month (pro-rated to actual duration active ~$5/week). Definitely worth it. Verizon was charging me $0.99/min for voice though... I tried my best to do as much as I could via email or BBM to avoid the international roaming charge... If you plan to use the tour make sure that you get the SIM card activated BEFORE you leave...
    Last edited by jberryg; 09-04-09 at 11:26 PM. Reason: additional info
    09-04-09 11:22 PM
    Ya like the others have said your sim card in the phone may not be activated properly or its not on your account.. Also verify your cost before you start using it

09-04-09 11:40 PM
    your cheapest bet is probably buying a local prepaid SIM.
    09-04-09 11:44 PM
    Call up Verizon and have them put on the International data package. I was in Zurich a short while ago on T-Mobile, and that portion of Europe is entirely GSM. They have to activate the GSM radio in your phone for it to work over there. After that, you should be fine once you select the package you need, since you'll be there for four months.
    09-05-09 01:56 AM
    I have the new blackberry tour for verizon. I assumed it would work overseas because it it a world phone. I am in Switzerland and all i see is the red SOS at the top. I can't make any calls or do anything at all. I will be here for 4 months so i need to work. Can someone please help me with the process of having my phone work. Thank you
    Don't forget if you buy a SIM locally, you still need to unlock the phone. UniquePhones has the best service in my opinion.
    09-05-09 12:21 PM
    Question: Do Sprint phones have SIM cards? If not then what do you do with your BB?
    Thank you in advance
    09-05-09 08:43 PM
    I am in the UK and bought a T-mobile sim for my Verizon 8830 WE yesterday. So far works good. Unfortunately I could not get a data plan though
    09-06-09 06:28 AM
    Question: Do Sprint phones have SIM cards? If not then what do you do with your BB?
    Thank you in advance
    Sprint and VZW GLOBAL phones use SIM cards. These phones support GSM for overseas use and CDMA for domestic use.

09-06-09 06:43 AM
    Call verizon to have them unlocked your phonethen buy a local gsm sim card. That's the cheapest way if you don't mind having another number for few months.

09-06-09 06:59 AM
    Can this be done in Iraq and Afghanistan as well?
    09-06-09 08:50 AM
    Just figured I'd use this thread has anyone noticed that there hasn't been any new threads on crackberry in 3 days! Is this site down at the time?
    09-06-09 11:51 AM
    Can this be done in Iraq and Afghanistan as well?
    Absolutely. Lots of prepaid SIMs for sale in both.
    09-06-09 02:05 PM
    Thank you in advance
    I just returned from Europe (Switzerland, Germany, France, and the Netherlands). The Sprint 8830 and the Tour 9630 ARE ALREADY UNLOCKED from Sprint (I don't think that is the case with Verizon ?). My Sprint phones work fine overseas. I just go into a local phone store and buy a prepaid SIM (and am careful to get one that can be reloaded on the net with a US credit card.. not all allow that option). I also sometimes have Sprint activate their international roaming for data (which they do on a pro-rated basis of a couple of dollars a day). Their data roaming worked well in all the countries I was in allowing fast email and other data. No texting though. However, their voice calls are a lot more than local SIM card. So I often swap cards out if I have to make a lot of voice calls. Local SIM cards often allow you to call the USA for under .12 / min. vs. $1.29 or 1.99, etc. on the Sprint plan. You may also be able to get a local SIM card with a voice and data plan.
    09-06-09 02:58 PM
    would a prepaid sim that has data service work for emails, messenger?
    I will be travling overseas and I have sprint service (8830) but don't have a world plan.
    09-07-09 01:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD