Hello everyone,

As it is very obvious by my post count, this is my first post on the CrackBerry forums.

To start off, I'm not a BlackBerry owner yet. I'm currently looking into acquiring my first one, and to add to that, I've never owned a cell phone before. I just know from everything I've read, that a BlackBerry is the way to go, judging on the functionality of the OS and pretty much everything else that goes along with it.

Now, I also know current providers in Canada have a tendency of ripping of their customers (who knew?!) and seeing as I'm eying the 8220 Pearl/Kickstart, I know I'm going to be with Rogers.

Another thing I've decided is that I will be buying the phone instead of going with the 3 year contract or the supposed student "deal" Rogers will be offering that was advertised on the blog here. Being quite excited by the release of this phone, I'm trying to see what my options are. Especially as a first time cell phone buyer, I don't know anything about dealing with the carrier and trying to get the best deal possible.

I think this thread could also be useful for any other first time buyers in Canada, if there's enough input from "veterans" of buying phones for use in Canada.
    08-18-08 12:29 PM
    You want wanna do so research on the phones and coverage each provider offer, but i use telus. I've never had a problem with them. I'm looking at getting the student deal telus is offer right now.

-Included Local Anytime Minutes up to 200
    -Nationwide Talk, Text, Picture and Video Messaging2,3
    with Your Fave 101 unlimited
    -Included Local Night and Weekend Minutes
    (from 6pm to 7am) unlimited
    -Included Features unlimited Web browsing4 unlimited email5 , IM
    -Included Calling Features Call Display and Voice Mail 10
    -Text, Picture and Video Messaging2,3 unlimited
    -Unlimited Local Calling up to 3 months

All that for $65 a month, but im woundering where did you see the link about the rogers student plan, cause if its better then telus rates all take it in a make them match the price.
    08-18-08 01:51 PM
    Canada has three major carriers and three carrier owned specialty outlets.

One of the things that distinguishes the specialty carriers, no network access fees. Unfortunately, they don't support BlackBerry.

That is where Virgin Mobile is gaining traction. A free Pearl, 8Gb, unlimited voice, email and browsing for $55.

... And, no network access fee.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-18-08 02:20 PM
    Go with Telus.
    08-18-08 02:38 PM
    I think Best Buy is selling 2x BB Curves for $100 for Telus (of course you need to activate two lines)
    08-18-08 03:19 PM
    What are people's thoughts on switching from Rogers to Telus??
    08-18-08 04:25 PM
    I kinda want to use the WiFi cability so I thought about hitting up the Talkspot dealy with Rogers...

So if it just really comes down to buying the phone at a better rate than the price Rogers offers, what should I be trying to do?

Tw1tch: http:// crackberry. com/ blackberry-pearl-8220-hitting-rogers-49-99-some-strings-attached

Had to put some spaces in there because it said: You are only allowed to post URLs once you have at least 10 posts.
    When I tried to post
    08-18-08 04:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD