I am a die hard Blackberry BIS user and yet I have, at times, moved my service to an iPhone just for something new. While I enjoy my AOL mail being near instant, I also like how on an iPhone I can manage my mail in the different folders that I have set up to file my emails in AOL.

Question is, I have just purchased a Samsung Galaxy S2 that will be here next week. How will the email be, like Apples giving me access to all my email folders on AOL or will it be like Blackberry where I can not.
    05-10-11 07:10 AM
    First off you'll need a gmail account.
    What I did with my email accounts was to forward them to the gmail account, but they came through as gmail so they would be organised by sender. I didn't like that. There are a lot of email apps in the Market, and K-9 is very popular.
    Frankly, I didn't try them out. I'd lost my patience with the messaging situation. For whatever reason what everyone said to try did not work for me, and it was probably user error on my part and not a problem with the platform.
    That said, I really don't like GMail.

Also, get Launcher Pro IMMEDIATELY. You'll be able to manage your homescreen/hide apps, etc.
    05-10-11 07:18 AM
    Sorry but my company has been married to the same AOL email account for 10+ years now. AOL does not forward emails. I can not use GMail.

If Apple can provide this kind of AOL mail support, you would think that Blackberry could or maybe even Android does I do not know yet.
    05-10-11 08:34 AM
    First off you'll need a gmail account.
    I can not use GMail.
    I believe Android devices require you to have a Gmail account to setup the device.
    05-10-11 08:39 AM
    The thing is that Android market requires the existence of a GMail account. I have an AOL account but since it's my forums account I don't have any folders.

How will you use your Android device without a GMail account? you won't be able to use the Market. Unless I'm completely wrong. Which is always possible/probable.
    05-10-11 08:40 AM
    Sorry but my company has been married to the same AOL email account for 10+ years now. AOL does not forward emails. I can not use GMail.

If Apple can provide this kind of AOL mail support, you would think that Blackberry could or maybe even Android does I do not know yet.
    BlackBerry supports AOL e-mail... Were you under the impression that they didn't?

Now, I'm not sure if it offers the folder support, that I do not know. But you should be able to setup your AOL e-mail address on your BlackBerry.
    05-10-11 08:42 AM
    I believe Android devices require you to have a Gmail account to setup the device.
    Not so much to set it up the device but to use the Market. When I tried removing my Gmail from my Atrix it told me that 1) I'd have to restore to factory settings and 2) I would need it for the market.

Restoring it to factory settings is not a big deal because I didn't buy anything, but I would want to use the market. So I removed Gmail from my Torch, kept it on my Atrix and called it a day!!!
    05-10-11 08:43 AM
    Can't he setup a separate gmail account JUST for the S2, and JUST for the market and other required stuff, and not really use it otherwise? And STILL setup the S2 to use the AOL email as the primary email, or if not as AN email? Certainly android supports multiple emails. I KNOW this is not the ideal solution, BUT it should work.
    05-10-11 08:46 AM
    That's basically what I did with my gmail. It's on my Atrix, I don't use it at all. I have a separate AOL on the Atrix and my BBerries, but I don't have folders set up in my AOL. I think that's what he's trying to do, get the folders to show up on the Android device.
    Maybe someone has an AOL with folders on an Android and can help...
    05-10-11 08:49 AM
    I ahve NO problems setting up a gmail account, I did so long ago. I can not loose my AOL account as all of my customers use this on a daily basis for the last 10 years.
    05-10-11 09:02 AM
    BlackBerry supports AOL e-mail... Were you under the impression that they didn't?

Now, I'm not sure if it offers the folder support, that I do not know. But you should be able to setup your AOL e-mail address on your BlackBerry.
    After using Blackberry for over 10 years I know that.

What I am jealous of is the ability to use the AOL mail folders needed to keep our mail organized.

Have you ever used a iPhone. When you set up AOL mail ALL of your folders are there and accessible for filing new emails, etc. You can't do that on a Blackberry.

I was wondering if Android would be like Apple where you could do this or like Blackberry where you can't. I know about using the Internet to get to my AOL account but it is UGLY in comparison to the iPhone methods.
    05-10-11 09:06 AM
    I think that's what he's trying to do, get the folders to show up on the Android device.

YES!

I was maybe not explaining it correctly, you did!

I love the way my iPhone does it with full access!
    05-10-11 09:08 AM
    hee, hee....i've got your back, luv!

I think most people have moved away from AOL, so your question may be difficult to get resolved. It was my first ever account, so I use it for forums.
    05-10-11 09:35 AM
    That's basically what I did with my gmail. It's on my Atrix, I don't use it at all. I have a separate AOL on the Atrix and my BBerries, but I don't have folders set up in my AOL. I think that's what he's trying to do, get the folders to show up on the Android device.
    YES!

I was maybe not explaining it correctly, you did!

I love the way my iPhone does it with full access!
    I changed the titled to that exact question, to try to draw in those with direct experience. Hope you don't mind. If anyone knows the answer to this question please let us know.
    05-10-11 09:43 AM
    I would recommend checking the Android Central forums. There are probably people there who would be able to provide more help.
    05-10-11 09:45 AM

AOL doesn't forward emails but gmail can be configured to pull emails (with no noticeable delay) from AOL into gmail. In case you are interested. I've been doing that for a couple of years now. (Plus it runs a virus scan on it and blocks virus ladened files on the occasion that they arrive in my inbox.
    05-10-11 11:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD