I don't think its possible to get rid of them on the default sms service that comes on the blackberry, but is there a 3rd party service that I can download that gets rid of the smiley face icons? I really enjoyed the crunchSMS application from the BB store, but after a week they make you pay for the service or they put a big ad that covers half the application.

This is my first post so don't go too hard on me if I posted in the wrong section. Thank you!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-27-10 12:53 PM
    You want to get rid of the BB smiley icons or the 3rd party ones?
    12-27-10 01:08 PM
    I want to get rid of the smiley icons on the default SMS but if that isn't possible, it would be nice if someone could point me to another 3rd party application.

12-27-10 01:17 PM
    You could try Fancy Characters:

Fancy Characters - Social BlackBerry Apps
    12-27-10 01:19 PM
    Is there a free application out there maybe?

12-27-10 01:22 PM
    It is not possible to eliminate the smileys in the native BlackBerry SMS. That is part of the OS.

12-27-10 01:29 PM
    Sorry, you want to get rid of them? Maybe I misunderstand. Can't you just not use them?
    12-27-10 01:33 PM
    Sorry, you want to get rid of them? Maybe I misunderstand. Can't you just not use them?
    My girlfriend sends them to me all the time, I wish they would just show up in text form with the colon and parenthesy instead of this=

Does anyone have a solution for me, please?
    Last edited by LukeBB; 12-27-10 at 05:42 PM.
    12-27-10 05:40 PM
    Tell your girlfriend not to send them! No 3rd party app needed.
    12-27-10 05:46 PM
    Tell your girlfriend not to send them! No 3rd party app needed.
    I still want her to send smiley faces. I just don't want the big yellow icon's popping up. If you cannot help me then please quit posting. You're not helping.
    12-27-10 05:51 PM
    Why would you prefer lines?what makes the smileys less appealing to you?

12-27-10 06:02 PM
    I still want her to send smiley faces. I just don't want the big yellow icon's popping up. If you cannot help me then please quit posting. You're not helping.
    You have been told they cannot be removed. What help beyond getting rid of the BB do you want?
    12-27-10 06:04 PM
    Why would you prefer lines?what makes the smileys less appealing to you?
    I just want the text version of the smiley face to show up, like this : ) instead of this

You have been told they cannot be removed. What help beyond getting rid of the BB do you want?
    I want someone to recommend a third party application that does this.
    12-27-10 06:09 PM
    stop going so hard on him, i can understand him
    i'd like to remove these smileys as well, when pple send me sms' it can be quite annoying, sometimes you know a person who uses a certain smiley all the time and when that person uses it, it has a "different" meaning // for that person
    -> then its quite annoying having these random big yellow faces showing up, wondering which characters he/she used
    12-27-10 06:16 PM
    stop going so hard on him, i can understand him
    i'd like to remove these smileys as well, when pple send me sms' it can be quite annoying, sometimes you know a person who uses a certain smiley all the time and when that person uses it, it has a "different" meaning // for that person
    -> then its quite annoying having these random big yellow faces showing up, wondering which characters he/she used
    crunchSMS is a great application that you can get from the app store. I loved it. But after a week it shows an ad that covers half the screen that is EXTREMELY annoying. I basically want that, because you have so many options and you can set how you want smiley faces to appear. But its like $3. I want a free one just like that ha but it seems to be non-existent.
    Last edited by LukeBB; 12-27-10 at 06:29 PM.
    12-27-10 06:24 PM
    yea already read some stuff about crunchsms
    i thought i'd buy it, but... when i think about it: every time i write sms' this app will drain my battery, so i thought it'd be better just to stick with the default-sms ;>
    on top of that i read about a problem with crunchsms and receiving mms when using it, but idk if thats actually true
    Last edited by Seijuro; 12-27-10 at 06:59 PM.
    12-27-10 06:55 PM
    yea already read some stuff about crunchsms
    i thought i'd buy it, but... when i think about it: every time i write sms' this app will drain my battery, so i thought it'd be better just to stick with the default-sms ;>
    on top of that i read about a problem with crunchsms and receiving mms when using it, but idk if thats actually true
    When I was using it I didn't really notice it draining my battery. I think it claims that it doesn't drain your battery, can't remember.

And yeah, it canNOT receive MMS messages but I just blocked SMS messages while still being able to receive MMS messages through the default SMS/MMS application that comes pre-installed on all BB's.

If anyone out there has other suggestions, I am open to all idea's. Much appreciated

12-27-10 10:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD