Hi, I'm new here. I just got my blackberry pearl and I was wondering if there was any way to disable caps at the start of a sentence. It really bothers me when IMing and things like that because nobody uses correct capitalization when IMing.
    Also, does anybody know of a good FREE IM client that supports AIM that works under Verizon? I've been using webmessenger and its...ok. For some reason the "official" one is not supported on Verizon.

Thanks in advance.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-11-08 03:34 PM
    LOL

The geeks at BlackBerry have invested uncounted hours in getting Smart Caps working correctly. It never occured to them, some users would prefer Dumb Caps.
    05-11-08 03:40 PM
    lol it's just that when i'm instant messing it gets kinda annoying. They do, however, offer an option to disable the autotext for SMS messages.
    05-11-08 04:11 PM
    I don't think there's a way to do that... I don't think I've ever seen anyone request that either Did you turn off predictive text and suretype also?
    05-11-08 04:39 PM
    I think this is a case of peer pressure to look like you don't care. You could always add a disclaimer to your messages: "The software is making me look like I care about capitalization, but you know I really don't!" Hook it to an auto-text abbreviation and toss it in during the dull spots in the conversation.
    05-11-08 09:34 PM
    Just tell them your BB is smarter than their phone.
    05-11-08 09:48 PM
    I think this is a case of peer pressure to look like you don't care. You could always add a disclaimer to your messages: "The software is making me look like I care about capitalization, but you know I really don't!" Hook it to an auto-text abbreviation and toss it in during the dull spots in the conversation.

Well you are partially right about that. I was talking to one of my friends using it and he admitted right there that it actually bothered him. Besides, it's a little strange seeing things like "Lol" on the screen....

I guess if you can't actually change it, it's not that big a deal. It was just a minor annoyance :P
    Last edited by walla; 05-11-08 at 09:51 PM.
    05-11-08 09:49 PM
    I use proper grammar, punctuation and rarely use emoticons, and never EVER use text speak. It bugs me when people behave in a business chat like it is SMS, is it really that hard to type the 2 extra letters in "you"? It's the former college newspaper editor in me...
    05-11-08 11:08 PM
    there is no way to turn this feature off. however, if you simply type the first letter of the word you wish to type, then go back and delete it and type it again, 9 times out of 10 it will appear in lower case and will stay that way. thats what i do when i dont want to capitalize something. hope that helps.
    05-12-08 12:31 PM
    This is particularly annoying, when typing in passwords that are case-sensitive. I have to type the first letter, twice, then go back and delete the first letter.
    05-12-08 08:31 PM
    Well, you have your answer. Welcome to CrqckBerry

05-12-08 08:42 PM
    Just don't type the period!!!!! If you aren't concerned with the grammar why the heck are you using the period anyway??? LOL
    05-12-08 08:42 PM
    CrackBerry.....welcome to CrackBerry

05-12-08 08:44 PM
    If you want Lol to look like LOL, is there a way to create a new AutoText item with SmartCase that will change it?

Aside from that, don't fall to pressure from your friend because you prefer to use proper grammar and punctuation.

Sure, it's a fad for teens to do it when they have to use numbers to select letters, but if you have a full keyboard, then why is it so difficult to write out "to" instead of 2, "you" instead of "u", or "are" instead of "r"?

Just my 2... er... TWO cents.

05-13-08 07:34 AM
    It sounds like your friend is a bit insecure and felt inadequate when seeing your proper punctuation and capitalization. Next time you see him give him a pat on the back and tell him it's okay, some day he'll have a cool phone like you.
    05-13-08 08:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD