Well Mama2Many you've really stirred up a debate here!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-17-10 03:55 PM
    To be honest I believe one can never be too careful about their privacy and security.
    Lots of people believe that being online grants you anonymousness because you are online, no one knows your where abouts, and you just have a screen name... heck you can create multiple accounts and become anyone you want to be on this cyber world. But as technology advances... it's not a difficult thing to find out about one online.
    I know that in Asia, so many people who only posts clips of something they filmed, pictures, or even comments were track down in DAYS: where they go to school if they go to school and what grade, workplace if they work, and etc. Details that you never imagine could be found are found.
    There are pros and cons... but one must evaluate if the cons out weigh the pros.
    12-17-10 04:04 PM
    Did you know that peoples credit card info is all over a search engine? I won't post the link but will say you can gather peoples private/personal information quite easily these days.

I won't mention anymore about this though, good day ya'll!

Thnx, �Tripster�

12-17-10 04:19 PM
    Unless you live next door to the copshop it will take 10 to 15 minutes for anyone to get there. That is more than enough time to steal a lot. I'm with Tripster, moving on now bu bye!

12-17-10 04:42 PM
    To me, it's not any one particular thing that's "scary", but the collective combination of all the technolgies, websites, street cams, Patriot Acts, etc that are eroding any hope for privacy or anonymity and moving us toward a Big Brother lifestyle. But I also realize that much of the abandonment of privacy is voluntary and that plenty of people freely choose to announce their GPS location and plenty of other personal details through FourSquare, Facebook status updates, etc.

With that said, I definitely don't have the GeoTagging turned on.
    12-17-10 05:07 PM
    Well Mama2Many you've really stirred up a debate here!!

I didn't mean to!

I agree that this is just one thing in a long line of things that the bad guys can use to take advantage of people. It is really scary how easy it is to find personal information on just about anyone.
    12-17-10 05:36 PM
    I FB/tweet, but don't have my location turned on.

With that said, if a thief wants to steal something and they are good at it, then its open game and not many people are safe, rather it is a phone tipping them off, a computer, whatever the case may be...Nobody is really safe.

You can make it harder for them, no doubt...

12-18-10 09:59 AM
    FYI: FB automatically strips out all metadata, including geotags, from uploaded photos. For other websites, you can either disable geotagging or use freeware metadata removers like BatchPurifier LITE to remove geotags before uploading your photos
    12-19-10 08:10 AM
    There was a story on the local news not too long ago about the dangers of geotagging. The story focused more on child endangement. Say you snap a pic of your kid being cute at home or at the park, then upload it to flickr, photobucket, your personal website, etc. If geotagging was enabled your kid may be bait for kidnappers or pedophiles.
    12-19-10 11:57 AM
    There was a story on the local news not too long ago about the dangers of geotagging. The story focused more on child endangement. Say you snap a pic of your kid being cute at home or at the park, then upload it to flickr, photobucket, your personal website, etc. If geotagging was enabled your kid may be bait for kidnappers or pedophiles.
    I have a solution for that, but I can't use it because apparently pediphiles are among those protected by the constitution

12-19-10 12:02 PM
    I have a solution for that, but I can't use it because apparently pediphiles are among those protected by the constitution

How so?

10char
    12-19-10 12:11 PM
    I like the geotagging feature. But agree you should be aware when sending personal info out like that.

12-19-10 12:36 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD