03-04-12 07:00 PM
157 ... 4567
tools
    I can't get Geocache Navigatior for Verizon to download to my BB Curve 8830. Is this simply a Verizon issue??
    The VZW 8830's GPS is locked. You won't be able to use ant 3rd party GPS apps on that BlackBerry. BlackBerry Maps and VZ Navigator are your only options for GPS on 8830.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Chrisy is correct re the internal GPS in a Verizon 8330 or 8830. However, you can use an external GPS puck, such as a Freedom Keychain 2000, to supply GPS data to apps. I used a Freedom with Garmin Mobile and Google Maps. I didn't use it with Geocache Navigator, but there's no reason why it shouldn't work, unless Geocache Navigator refuses to install on a device without a working internal GPS.
    07-04-10 09:03 AM
    I have found a work around for my verizon 8330 using blackberry maps. Sorry, I tried to give you a link but my newbie status prevents me from being allowed to posty links. This can be found at the Geocaching.com groundspeak forums under this heading, Geocache with your Blackberry GPS!, A how-to guide to using free tools to cache with Blackberry Maps. If you scroll through all of the rants about verizon (don't we all have atleast one?!) to the post from camzberry posted on Jul 18 2009, 10:52 PM, there are very simple instructions for entering the decimal coordinates through Find Location/Enter Address. I have tried this and it works great! Logged my first cache Tuesday.
    07-09-10 02:32 PM
    i am using BlackStar navigation since yesterday, well, i didn't cache with it yet, but it looks good, simple, lot's of options, so looks promising, sunday i will be using it allong with my garmin dakota. that way i can see if blackstar is as good as a real gps. so i will be posting my experiences with it on sunday.

davy
    07-15-10 11:16 AM
    I have two related problems with the geocaching software I use on my Tour.

1. I've noticed with Geocache Navigator and BlackStar on my Tour that the GPSr accuracy seems to decrease as I walk slower. I'm not talking about the compass heading. I know you have to be moving for the GPSr to calculate a direction. But I tend to slow down as I get nearer Ground Zero, which causes the location of Ground Zero to be shown less accurately.

2. I've noticed a lag in pointer response. It will sometime jump from 16 feet east of GZ to 8 feet west of GZ, without passing thru closer distances. This behavior naturally tends to make me walk slower, which puts me into the Problem 1 scenario.

I'll be very interested to read your comparison of the 9700 with BlackStar to the Garmin Dakota.
    07-17-10 03:36 PM
    well, like i said i ould give my experience today with blackstar and my dakota.
    it was my first ever geocach and i didn't find the cach itself, but i did find the benchmark, i made the wpt on my dakota and my bb 9700, the two devices let me know that from my home it was 2.29 km away from my home.
    so bothdevices told me the same. km/h was on both devices relatively the same, also, altitude was the same to, so i thinke blackstar is a great application on a bb, alltough the dakota is a dedicated GPS device, blackstar does the job to. if you take both devices and look to the compass, and walk, it is very much alike. okay, the dakota looks better, with all the colors, and blackstar is just plain white and black, and a dakota you can look to maps instead of a compass, but still i love blackstar, for me it was accurate enough, don't think i have ever see the compass needle point another way then the compass of my dakota.

so the verdict is: great job on blackstar, i will use it again! comes in very handy if i am at a place without my dakota and just want to go caching anyway.

Davy
    07-18-10 04:50 AM
    Is anyone using Geocache Navigator on their Storm 2? Does it work properly?

I can not run geocache navigator on my storm 2. Tried updating to .713. Did a wipe and reinstalled everything. Verizon sent a new phone. Trimble support is stumped and Verizon hasn't a clue.
    07-20-10 09:39 PM
    That's a shame. i'm looking into the Storm series and caching on my BlackBerry is important to me. Let me know if/when you get it resolved.

07-21-10 08:43 AM
    i <3 blackstar. Ive been using it since may and i'll be hitting 200+ finds today. I also like the fact i can load the nearest 999 caches onto the program so I dont need reception to use it. I just run a pocketquery and have the gpx file sent to my phone's email, download it, and import it. It provides you with hints and descriptions and the 5 most recent logs for each of the caches all in one file. =)
    07-24-10 09:13 AM
    I love geocaching and about four months ago I started looking into software for my BB. I kept seeing people post on the geocaching website that they had Geocaching Navigator by Trimble so I emailed a few of them and sure enough each and every one of them recommended the software so I went to the BB store and purchased it. I love it! I can't imagine going back to paper and downloads!
    I did discover that if you buy it from the Trimble website they charge you a monthly or annual fee where if you buy it from the BB store you get it for a one time fee of $20. There is also a free seven day trial for you to see if you like it. I found that the trial actually lasted me a few months before it made me buy it.
    07-25-10 06:51 PM
    i'm still using Geocache Navigator on my Tour and love it! i'm going to get an Otterbox Defender case to use when caching.

07-25-10 07:11 PM
    What is my Phone Identifier and Pin that I need to enter?? I entered in my phone number and created a pin on the website and when I clicked "Link To This Account" I get "No account was found with the information provided."

???
    08-06-10 06:20 AM
    Assuming you are referring to Geocache Navigator, go to Settings and select Show My ID. That's the Phone Identifier you need. The pin is any 4-digit number you make up. It's just used that one time to make the link.
    08-06-10 06:23 AM
    Did you also first create an account on geocaching.com? Make sure you do that first. Then follow what Jeff said.

08-06-10 06:32 AM
    I do already have an existing account with geocaching.com.

When I'm trying to setup the Geocaching Navigator on my BB I get to the screen that says "Enter license key" and using the menu I selected "Try" which took me to the screen that asks for "Phone Number" and PIN.

First - I can't type numbers or letters in either of the boxes. Why is that? I can't get past this screen.

Second - If I pull up the menu on this screen to get to "settings" I don't get those options. The only options I get are "OK, Back, Hide Menu, and Switch Application".

I'm extremely frustrated, we wanted to use this app this weekend...any further suggestions?!?
    08-08-10 03:22 PM
    I don't understand the "Try" menu option. Do you have a license key? To type a number in a box, highlight the box and click or press enter. That takes you to an entry screen. That's consistent throughout geocache navigator, just odd til you get used to it.

08-08-10 03:55 PM
    I do not have a license key...previous posts and reviews of the app said to just skip that screen. So when I get the "Enter your License Key" screen I pull up the menu and select "Try" to get to the next screen that asks for phone number and pin.

How do I get a license key?

???

Edit to Add: For enter the phone # I do have the box highlighted, tried pressing enter prior to enter # but still nothing, I can't anything to type into the highlighted box.

Thanks for being patient Jeff...I appreciate you trying to walk me through this.
    Last edited by sarah428; 08-08-10 at 05:44 PM. Reason: additional info
    08-08-10 05:32 PM
    A license key is $19.95. You get it when you pay for the app. You can download a free trial from BlackBerry AppWorld. I'm sorry if I'm just telling you what you already did. I downloaded the free trial, played with it a while, and bought the app. That's when I got a license key. I don't recall any "try" screen.

08-08-10 05:46 PM
    It's the free trial that I'm trying...now I'm uncertain if I want to pay the $19.95 if it isn't going to work.
    At the screen that asks for the license key if don't enter anything and select "next" from the menu I get a pop-up box that reads "error you must enter your License Key or choose Try Menu Item." That's when I select "try" and it goes to the screen that I referred to in post #139.

Oh well....thanks again!
    Last edited by sarah428; 08-08-10 at 07:06 PM.
    08-08-10 07:03 PM
    I use a program called blackstar avalible through the appworld. It works great for me.
    08-10-10 11:56 AM
    I am on the 7 day free trial and it is a bad asss app!
    08-10-10 07:08 PM
    Hallelujah...it magically work today for whatever reason. I was able to enter in the phone # and create a PIN. The only part I can't complete is linking it to my geocaching.com account. I keep getting "no information found" but that may be because I'm using the 7 day trail.

Geocache Navigator looks like a great app, I can't wait to get out and use it tonight.
    Last edited by sarah428; 08-11-10 at 01:10 PM.
    08-11-10 01:07 PM
    ... The only part I can't complete is linking it to my geocaching.com account. I keep getting "no information found" but that may be because I'm using the 7 day trial....
    Hmm. I linked my trial version to my geocaching.com account. Are you using geocache navigator for Verizon, or a different version? I can't see your device on wap.

08-11-10 01:19 PM
    Yes, Verizon on the 8530 curve. (Geocache Navigator version 2.0.16)

Tried the app last night and love it! Just wish I could get it to link
    08-12-10 08:24 AM
    That's the same version I'm using, although I'm using it on a Tour. I'm at a loss to explain your problems.

08-12-10 10:34 AM
    I've recently written an app, GPS Find, that can be used for geocaching. It has a wind rose style compass, waypoint management, and a import function that understands .gpx and .loc files.

Its up at AppWorld, Mobihand/Crackberry, and my own site:

GPS Find @ AppWorld

GPS Find @ MobiHand

GPS Find @ Tworoads
    Last edited by Scott8586; 11-26-10 at 11:00 AM.
    10-09-10 07:35 PM
157 ... 4567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD