03-04-12 07:00 PM
157 1234 ...
tools
    I'm not sure what you are having issues with. Geocaching.com is nothing more then an id/password. You can do it all for free. To become a Premium member it's a nominal annual fee.

It was pretty easy to associate a new Geocache Navigator install on my BB to my existing Geocaching.com account. I think maybe 45 seconds tops.

So if it's taking much longer then that, maybe you can outline what step you are having an issue with and someone familiar with the 2 can jump in to try and assist.
    04-20-08 09:27 PM
    Looking for something to use on my Blackberry 8310 (Built in GPS) but in the great land downunder - USA stuff is just useless to me...I need something that is network agnostic will work in Australia and yes I am on an unlimited data plan with my carrier.
    I use my desktop to determine my geocaching targets and get the coordinates before I hit the road. I then use the free Google Maps for mobile - I enter the geocache coordinates into the "directions" feature so that I can get close to the cache site. I then use the Blackberry's native GPS app (settings/options/advanced options/GPS) to zero in on the exact location.

I've found this to work very well, is all free (uses no purchased third-party apps), and should work on any network.
    04-21-08 09:15 AM
    yep, it crashes quite a bit for me as well. one day it wouldnt read the gps until i did a battery pull. it seems that when the backlight turns off while i'm on the compass screen, and i try to bring it back to see where i am, that's when i get the unhandled exception null pointer blah blah blah error message too.
    04-29-08 10:04 AM
    yep, it crashes quite a bit for me as well. one day it wouldnt read the gps until i did a battery pull. it seems that when the backlight turns off while i'm on the compass screen, and i try to bring it back to see where i am, that's when i get the unhandled exception null pointer blah blah blah error message too.
    We have recently updated the software and I would like to see if this helps. The latest version actually incorporates a much desired feature of filtering previously found caches. You can find the latest at trimbleoutdoors.com/rim. If you are running a demo then it will update the demo. If you purchsed the software then it will keep your current subscription in tact (just enter the same phone number).

Before you update could you let me know where you got the software from and what version it is. Thanks,

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)
    04-29-08 10:31 AM
    Is the update available OTA?

ETA - I see it is - thanks!
    04-29-08 10:34 AM
    Looks like I was running 1.5.3 downloaded OTA about 2 weeks ago. I just went back to the OTA download site and it's 2.0.5 now. BTW, I had 0 crashed using 1.5.3 with an external bluetooth GPS and about 20 caches found using it.

Would be a nice enhancement for that info to prompt when launched or check manually from one of the settings options or at least email us. I'm still a trial user but it might be just as important to make them aware of enhancements/fixes as it is the purchased customers.

Seems it lost my linking info so you need to enter it in on the phone and also re-link on geocaching.com too.

The exclusion of found caches is nice but I think the presentation to the customer using false/true selection should be No/Yes instead. As I'm in IT it makes sense but probably not to many people.

Also, for settings, it might be nice to show them as settings on an overall options page vs each as it's own you go into and then need to determine if what is highlighted indicates which option is set. For example, the include/exclude of found caches. Should be a single check box on a overall settings page, not a selection which takes you to a page to select the option and which you need to go back to and determine which is set.
    04-29-08 12:23 PM
    Looks like I was running 1.5.3 downloaded OTA about 2 weeks ago. I just went back to the OTA download site and it's 2.0.5 now. BTW, I had 0 crashed using 1.5.3 with an external bluetooth GPS and about 20 caches found using it.

Would be a nice enhancement for that info to prompt when launched or check manually from one of the settings options or at least email us. I'm still a trial user but it might be just as important to make them aware of enhancements/fixes as it is the purchased customers.

Seems it lost my linking info so you need to enter it in on the phone and also re-link on geocaching.com too.

The exclusion of found caches is nice but I think the presentation to the customer using false/true selection should be No/Yes instead. As I'm in IT it makes sense but probably not to many people.

Also, for settings, it might be nice to show them as settings on an overall options page vs each as it's own you go into and then need to determine if what is highlighted indicates which option is set. For example, the include/exclude of found caches. Should be a single check box on a overall settings page, not a selection which takes you to a page to select the option and which you need to go back to and determine which is set.
    Trimble appreciates the feedback everyone provides for our applications (good or bad). We do try to balance out how and when we talk to customers (through newsletters, etc). Your suggestion is very valid. As we put together the product roadmap, all input is considered.

Thanks for the feedback,

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)
    04-29-08 03:08 PM
    [QUOTE=tempestaz;214419]
    # tempestaz:
    hi there in the states - I am caching in germany for a while now and would like to use my bb 8300 (+gps puck) with GN.
    unfortunately I am not even able to get it started (version 2.0.2). the screen freezes with initializing and terms of use message and I don't find any way of confirming the "agree" button.
    And I am more than willing to pay the mothly or yearly subscription, but I have no Idea of where to pay it for the german T-Mobile net. I only find Boost Mobile, Nextel, SouthernLINC Wireless and Sprint on the GN-Page.
    The Handmark Site wouldn't let me buy a subscription for the curve 8300 with t-mobile.

Please advice...

Thanks a lot,
    Peter

Peter,

I will stand by the quote. Officially we don't support devices that require Bluetooth. However, I was able to get an 8100 to work just fine. Have you tried going to our web site and getting the demo? You can go to

Select the 8310 and let me know your results.

Larry
    Hi Larry, thank you! I did everything, like you recommended and it worked well with an external gps mouse. But now, after my trial expired, I paid for a year at handmark, and i still get the same "your trial ended" message over and over again. what can I do?

greetings, Peter
    05-25-08 06:53 AM
    [QUOTE=Peter Ringe;343012]

Hi Larry, thank you! I did everything, like you recommended and it worked well with an external gps mouse. But now, after my trial expired, I paid for a year at handmark, and i still get the same "your trial ended" message over and over again. what can I do?

greetings, Peter
    Peter,

Call our support number and we will make sure you get turned up. If you are pressed for time, send me a private message with the phone number of your device and I will take care of it.

Larry
    05-25-08 04:45 PM
    Of all of the applications I've loaded onto my 8310 Curve this is by far the best performing. We took Geocache navigator for a spin today and I have to say this is going to really change the way we go geocaching. In the past we would have to plan our hunts in advance so we could get on-line, locate sites to find, and print out the info. Now we can be really spontaneous. Today, for example, we were out looking at this incredible water fall and thought "hey I wonder if there are any cache sites around". Fired up the software and found a cache less then 150 feet away. How cool is that!

The software is fast, smooth, and the interface well thought out. The only suggestion I'd make to Trimble (and its a nit) is that it would be nice if each menu had a link back to the main menu so you don't have to select "back" 5-6 times to get back to the main menu.
    06-01-08 10:26 PM
    What happened to Peter happened to me too, and a call to Trimble fixed it instantly. It was great.

I've been caching for several years now and I used to juggle the Palm Pilot and the GPS and my Sidekick...now I have just one device doing it all, and I love it! GN was definitely well worth the purchase price for my favorite hobby.
    06-07-08 09:35 PM
    Geocacher here. Name is Kronk on GC.com too.

I use a Magellan eXplorist XL for my caching, but it is nice to be able to look up caches on the go now. I just can't bring myself to pay for an app that does the same thing as my really nice GPS, but on a smaller screen.
    06-20-08 05:22 AM
    Okay...I finally found a working link for GN.
    Last edited by TampaDude; 06-22-08 at 12:56 AM.
    06-21-08 09:24 PM
    Sounds interesting!
    06-21-08 09:26 PM
    I am using Spot for BlackBerry from Skylab for geocaching. It's a bit tricky to get sed to it but in the end it works fine for me
    06-21-08 10:31 PM
    I downloaded Nav4All...in addition to all the navigation bells and whistles, it has a screen that shows your current GPS coordinates in either DD, DDM, or DMS format, as well as speed and heading. It shows your position with far more precision than the GPSed app (which I have now deleted). It's free until 1/1/2010. I'll keep track of my cache list with CacheBerry.
    06-22-08 12:05 AM
    Not to sound too fanatical or anything, but GN really is all you need. I used to juggle a GPSr, PalmPilot (for CacheMate), and Sidekick (to look things up/log finds on the fly). Now I do it all with GN on my Curve. We were on a road trip last week and I realized I hadn't checked if there were any caches along the way. I pulled it out at a restaurant and found one cache 500 ft to my left and another 500 ft to my right. (Gotta love that 1000-ft rule!) Knocked 'em both out in 10 minutes after dinner. I've been caching for a long time and GN is the best product I've ever used. In fact, I just realized I haven't opened GSAK in forever!
    06-23-08 10:43 PM
    Not to sound too fanatical or anything, but GN really is all you need. I used to juggle a GPSr, PalmPilot (for CacheMate), and Sidekick (to look things up/log finds on the fly). Now I do it all with GN on my Curve. We were on a road trip last week and I realized I hadn't checked if there were any caches along the way. I pulled it out at a restaurant and found one cache 500 ft to my left and another 500 ft to my right. (Gotta love that 1000-ft rule!) Knocked 'em both out in 10 minutes after dinner. I've been caching for a long time and GN is the best product I've ever used. In fact, I just realized I haven't opened GSAK in forever!
    GN is a neat app, but the mapping sucks compared to CacheBerry, which fully integrates with Google Maps and Blackberry Maps.
    06-24-08 01:26 AM
    I've been using GN for several weeks now and really like it. One thing that I've not been able to figure out however is when I ask it to list sites within a certain distance of my location how can I filter out those I've already found and uploaded field notes for. On our last trip out there were 7 caches within close proximity of each other, many with similar names. It became very difficult to remember which one's we'd been to and which ones we had yet to locate. I thought someone had mentioned a way to filter out previously found sites but I can't figure out how to do so.
    06-24-08 11:10 AM
    I just found out that the version of GN that I had downloaded has been replaced with a newer version. I installed the newer version and now I have the ability to filter out "found" cache sites. Thanks Tempestaz for the info and Trimble for making a great product even better.
    07-01-08 12:18 AM
    Ooh nifty, thanks for mentioning that, I will have to grab it! Do you have a paid subscription, and did upgrading give you any problems with that?
    07-01-08 11:41 AM
    Yes I've got a paid subscription and the download/install could not have been more painless.
    07-01-08 04:10 PM
    Hi there

Hmmm, I didn't use GN so far...but I might try it. Today I took my Pearl out for my first Geocache... I used GPSed to see where I am...and it took me right to the point. Pretty simple to think about going north when you need to increase your coordinates numbers and walk westward when you need to decrease the number displayed as being east of Greenwich. Simple means, as I said

Yours, Wolfwent
    07-06-08 10:40 AM
    GN is divine, very highly recommended, and no I don't work for them.
    07-06-08 01:51 PM
    Hi,

My GPS and PalmPilot were stolen from my car the other night, and I'm thinking about replacing them both with a BB, possibly the 8800.

Would I be able to locate caches that are outside my phone company's coverage area? And what about durability? I'm new to caching (about 20 logged so far), but from what I've read on geocaching.com, dropping your GPSr is inevitable. Anybody ever damage their BB while caching?
    07-11-08 10:33 AM
157 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD