Anyone using CacheBerry might be interested to know about the new beta release, v1.99.94. Ihat includes a compass and other nice features. Looks like it's a very strong contender to B* and Geocache Navigator. I think GN has catching up to do with both the other programs.
    Loving that compass feature. Now that AT&T allowed the upgrade to OS4.5. I can now use those notifications I get from gc.com and actually import them to Cacheberry, use the compass which was showing 3 ft accuracy (haven't proven it yet) and not have to worry about if my GPS is with me or not. I use Cacheberry and Trimbles Navigator software to help me find the local caches and I'm caching even while on business travel.
    04-07-09 06:16 AM
    Anyone have any suggestions for geocaching with my verizon blackberry?
    04-26-09 08:07 PM
    Anyone have any suggestions for geocaching with my verizon blackberry?
    Did I miss something in the last several pages??
    04-26-09 08:12 PM
    I use CacheBerry, and its a bit of a pain, as one cannot see the local caches and go to them, one has to find them and map them first.

Its OK, and it keeps me from fantasizing about pulling off to grab another, which keeps me out of trouble with my wife. I consider that it is well worth the $15 I paid, which is alot cheaper than the subscriptions the other companies want.

Personally, I love hearing about, finding and logging my caches all on one device.
    04-27-09 03:53 PM
    It sure would be nice if we could get a BB version of CacheMate. CacheBerry is just wayyy to clunky to use and a real pain to simply mark a cache as found.
    05-09-09 08:34 AM
    Blackstar 1.4 here
    Rocks, thanks
    05-10-09 05:59 AM
    I'm using Blackstar as well, not geocaching yet, but it's great app that can only get better. Check out the thread. It seems to be limited only by the accuracy of the phone's GPS receiver chip.

I've used it hiking, driving and on airplanes and it works everywhere.
    05-12-09 08:05 AM
    Ive been using Cacheberry and Google Maps flawlessly for caching. Really worth the $15 if your into it

I use Blackstar for placing caches.
    Last edited by Krymz; 05-23-09 at 04:00 PM.
    05-16-09 04:49 PM
    I just got interested in geocaching, and thought it might be a fun thing to do, especially with kids. Just downloaded Blackstar, and it seems to work pretty well (aside from the occasional compass directional lag). One thing I noticed, though. When you compare the GPS locations of Blackstar vs the GPS location on my 8310 GPS receiver, they are not the same. Sometimes off by 0.01 minutes, and as much as 0.5 minutes at times. And since I just started checking out caches, I'm kind of at a loss as to where I really need to be. How much does that matter, anyway? (how far off is that?) Just wondering which GPS to trust more, if anybody has more insight (especially abut geocaching). Much appreciated.

geefield95
    05-19-09 05:22 PM
    Trimble makes an application called Geocache Navigator that connects directly to the geocaching.com site so that one can go caching anywhere in the world. You can learn about this product at geocachenavigator.com.

Being transparent, I do work for Trimble but have been an avid geocacher for many years. I personally use an 8310 and my boys and I have really enjoyed geocaching on this device.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)
    Larry, I am with Alltel and have a curve 8330. Can I make use of Trimble on my phone?
    Thanks
    05-23-09 03:35 PM
    I use CacheBerry, and its a bit of a pain, as one cannot see the local caches and go to them, one has to find them and map them first.

Its OK, and it keeps me from fantasizing about pulling off to grab another, which keeps me out of trouble with my wife. I consider that it is well worth the $15 I paid, which is alot cheaper than the subscriptions the other companies want.

Personally, I love hearing about, finding and logging my caches all on one device.
    you *can* do that exactly, but you need a .gpx export from geocaching.com as a premium member (you can do it with a search and downloading each page as a .loc file, but, the .gpx you can get as a premium has a ton more info in it) and then you hit your menu key, choose "sort" and then "by location" choose "GPS Location" let it get a lock on where you are, and it sorts all of your caches in your list by how far and in what direction they are from you.....

if you need help with it, either PM me or send me a PIN and I'll try to lend an assist.....
    05-24-09 11:31 PM
    Larry, any word on when this software will be available for Verizon Blackberrys?
    05-26-09 06:39 PM
    the reason that the verizon and alltel berries won't work with geocache navigator is the fact that they're firmware GPS restricted from what I've been told, because they say it works on the storm, and it's running the same on everything except for the GPS which is unrestricted......
    05-26-09 08:16 PM
    I went GeoCaching today with my Curve for the first time!

I used both BlackStar and Geocache Navigator.

BlackStar is free and very well done. I highly recommand it,

Geocache Navigator is free with a 30 days trial, but after you gotta pay 39$ / year or 5.99 / month.

It's an amazing app, You can find caches near you in a trackball click, you can find the cache with coords, or by following a red arrow on a map. It's fun! but I don't think it worth the price.
    10 bucks ok, but 40? Ha! No way!!

Happy Geocaching
    05-27-09 12:48 AM
    Can ANYONE offer ANY advice on how to GeoCache with a VERIZON Blackberry 8330 Curve? I have searched high and low for an answer and it is very frustrating. I wanna slap Verizon across the face with my Blackberry because they have the GPS on lockdown. I think the best solution is to switch carriers? I can't use GeoCache Navigator, and my Garmin GPS just crapped out on me. The best solution I've found so far is updating the BB software to version 4.5.0.97 which "unlocked" BB maps. This is a start. So, my process is to load .gpx files onto my phone using CacheBerry, then trying to navigate using BB Maps. This is not that accurate though because CacheBerry "can't find GPS device". Please help me out, or let's go picket and rally outside Verizon HQ to unlock our GPS devices...that we paid good $$$ for. I know the best answer/solution I'll get is: you are SOL

C
    05-28-09 01:34 PM
    Can ANYONE offer ANY advice on how to GeoCache with a VERIZON Blackberry 8330 Curve? I have searched high and low for an answer and it is very frustrating. I wanna slap Verizon across the face with my Blackberry because they have the GPS on lockdown. I think the best solution is to switch carriers? I can't use GeoCache Navigator, and my Garmin GPS just crapped out on me. The best solution I've found so far is updating the BB software to version 4.5.0.97 which "unlocked" BB maps. This is a start. So, my process is to load .gpx files onto my phone using CacheBerry, then trying to navigate using BB Maps. This is not that accurate though because CacheBerry "can't find GPS device". Please help me out, or let's go picket and rally outside Verizon HQ to unlock our GPS devices...that we paid good $$$ for. I know the best answer/solution I'll get is: you are SOL

C
    One option you have is to get a bluetooth GPS. That may be the last thing you want to hear after spending hundreds of dollars on a phone that has a built in gps. But you could probably find a cheap one on ebay.

I use a Freedom 2000 keychain GPS and I love it!! I am not on Verizon, I have an 8300 which does not have a built in GPS.
    05-28-09 02:23 PM
    Yeah, spending anymore money a Bluetooth GPS is not an option...especially since I HAVE a GPS.....IN MY PHONE! If I pick up a Bluetooth GPS puck, I might as well fork over the extra $50 and buy another Garmin. Are there any hacks out there because apparantely, the 'gps lock" is in the service books...which are impossible to hack. So, anyone hear of when there might be a "fix" from Verizon? I know there is a pending Class Action Lawsuit against Verizon in California. Not knowing how to fix this and when there might not be a fix is a really hard thing. It's like being in jail and not knowing when you are going to get out...
    Last edited by kceza1; 05-28-09 at 08:03 PM.
    05-28-09 05:05 PM
    Trimble makes an application called Geocache Navigator that connects directly to the geocaching.com site so that one can go caching anywhere in the world. You can learn about this product at geocachenavigator.com.

Being transparent, I do work for Trimble but have been an avid geocacher for many years. I personally use an 8310 and my boys and I have really enjoyed geocaching on this device.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)
    Hi,
    I cannot find any where on the site that it is available in Australia to use. By your posting above you lean towards saying that GN does support it? Please clarify thanks.
    08-06-09 02:09 AM
    I was so high on BlackStar. I think it was its name, which is way cool. However, on my last visit to the Hill Country with my Son, Son-in-Law, and two grandsons, I found BlackStar is simply not suitable for much of anything: all show and no go. I think it works off of nearby cell towers. Out in the wild, one needs to look directly at satellites and...In other words for Storm (or any BB), MUST work when VZN does NOT work and MUST give hours, minutes, AND seconds.

PS My son was cool and did not dwell on the fact that his two Garmin devices have served him very well at his many prodigious geocaching exploits. (One knows about roads and the other knows nothing about roads, but does know about hills, valleys, topography, etc.)

Doctor Neutron
    08-09-09 05:33 PM
    I was so high on BlackStar. I think it was its name, which is way cool. However, on my last visit to the Hill Country with my Son, Son-in-Law, and two grandsons, I found BlackStar is simply not suitable for much of anything: all show and no go. I think it works off of nearby cell towers. Out in the wild, one needs to look directly at satellites and...In other words for Storm (or any BB), MUST work when VZN does NOT work and MUST give hours, minutes, AND seconds.

PS My son was cool and did not dwell on the fact that his two Garmin devices have served him very well at his many prodigious geocaching exploits. (One knows about roads and the other knows nothing about roads, but does know about hills, valleys, topography, etc.)

Doctor Neutron
    Don't be too quick to blame BlackStar. The OS and GPS chipset determine if they will work outside of cell coverage. BlackStar just uses the "least restrictive" gps location provider available at the moment.

Did you try any other GPS apps at the time?
    08-09-09 07:11 PM
    I can blame blackstar in that situation, places that it can't find any GPS lock, I open cacheberry and it grabs instantly, no cell reception to be found....on the storm using every version of the OS that has been kicked out for the 9530 up to .148, I'm yet to work with blackstar and get it to work half as well as cacheberry, though, I liked the idea of it better.....
    08-09-09 07:19 PM
    Geocaching really sounds intresting.
    08-15-09 02:57 AM
    I too geocache and LOVED the storm with geocachenavigator. The only problem I had was that it ate up my battery so quickly I had to go get a portable battery charger. The GPS worked like a charm and it was able to find caches VERY quickly on the program. I still use it if I'm just out and about and have time to kill and don't have my Garmin Oregon 300 with me. It usually put me within about 5 - 10 feet of the cache, but didn't work too will under heavy tree cover. I would just stand out of the trees, get my bearings and estimate the distance. I was usually on the money. Verizon does NOT block the GPS feature on it at all. That is straight from Verizon themselves. This is truely the way to go paperless caching if you don't want to invest in a whole nother GPS. If you buy the Geocachenavigator, but it from the blackberry store and not the manufacture website. BB charges $30 FOREVER whereas the manufacture charges $40 for a year. Just a little FYI. Hope this helps. Also, I did use Blackstar, but found the $30 was WELL worth the upgraade. Blackstar is nice, but geocache navigator works seamlesly and had everything built right in and downloaded directly from the geocaching site. It is also the only one that they support themselves. GOOD LUCK and CACHE ON! (FYI, it is a family thing and it's FREE and fun for all ages. Think of it as a HIGH TECH HIDE AND SEEK!)
    08-24-09 04:05 PM
    ok I seen one reference in this thread about bb browser not supporting flash and this being the reason that the ggogle maps do not display on geocaching.com site. Is there a work around. I have been geocaching for about a month now and I am totaly hooked on this game but To go paperless it would be very helpfull to be able to see these caches on the fly. Yes I can download gpx files but this is easier done at home. In my area there are a ton of caches so I need the ability to view them on the map before selecting how big of an area I want to create a pocket query for keeping the database smaller for quicker sorting. I am using cacheberry and love it, it now has a radar feature in the beta, it does have a couple bugs but my wife is directionally challanged so this helps her out a ton. I can run google maps on my BB 8330 curve (bell Network) but sure would like to be able to have the fuctionality of the geocaching website on my BB
    08-30-09 07:35 PM
    I am a land surveyor by trade and get to locate monuments all the time, the BB apps for Geocaching might help me on the job.
    08-31-09 07:38 PM
157 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD