If you really plan on using a BB in a more harsh or outdoor environment a lot you might consider an Otterbox case. Frankly, I don't think many cellphones are as durable or, at least, as water tight as a real gps intended for outdoor use. BB, from what I read, are pretty water sensitive and have stickers to show if they have been exposed to moisture.

I am not sure about DATA coverage area - I have not used the geocache programs but if they rely on showing you an instant map of your area they may in fact need a data connection. But if they rely on just the gps and showing coordinates/arrows/distance, that can be done without any data. The gps gets its info from satellites over head and not cell towers and therefore, depending on the software, can show position lat/long without cell-tower help.
    07-11-08 11:26 AM
    You may want to check out www-g23software-com. Here there is a program called GeoBerry which is geocaching software by donation. It works pretty good.
    08-14-08 04:38 PM
    You may want to check out www-g23software-com. Here there is a program called GeoBerry which is geocaching software by donation. It works pretty good.
    You should enable non-www on your domain, I had problems with that.

Looks like when those future features get implemented it'll be a good product, perhaps competing with GN. I'll check back when it's more ready for prime time.
    08-14-08 09:57 PM
    I have been caching for a little while. I started with my Treo 750, a puck and TomTom Nav. 6. This was a great combo and after getting the Curve it took me some time to find a replacement.

Geocache Navigator was(is) fantasic, although I dropped my data plan for just email (Canada sucks for data plans) and lost most of the functions that GN provides. I can still use it as a GPS receiver, which is incredibly accurate.

I am now using CacheBerry for paperless caching. You download the GPX info from Geocaching.com right to the BB and then have all the cache info on you BB, including logs, hints, etc. Once you find the cache you can complete a found memo and email it to yourself, and cut and paste into a log once you return to a computer.

Larry, I must say if I return to a data plan, I will be using GN fully again, it is an excellent application.
    08-20-08 04:30 PM
    as a VZW user can i not do this?

08-20-08 04:34 PM
    as a VZW user can i not do this?

From what I've read, VZW has locked out the GPS? Anyhow you could use CacheBerry and cache paperless, but not Geocache Navigator. You would need a stand alone GPS device.
    08-20-08 04:58 PM
    Thank for the info. That's what i figured!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-08 05:21 PM
    The Trimble Navigator application is quite good, but for me, very overpriced. I don't mind paying for an application for my Blackberry and have purchased many apps for them over the years. My current 8800 is my 8th Blackberry. However, I don't like the idea of having to buy the same application over and over every year. $40 for a one-time purchase would be pretty pricey, but that amount every year seems very excessive to me for a recreational application. That said, I'll buy one of the other apps and Trimble is welcome to take a large amount from a small number of people who are less concerned than me about value.
    Aside from my personal views on value, I believe that Trimble is inviting competition from hobbiest developers into their market by being a pig. I suspect that within 2 years there will be 5+ alternatives, many of them free or near free. But then again, it's a free market, and Trimble can charge whatever it wants and if I (and most others) don't like it then I can simply not buy it. Ahhhh...Capitalism. I love it.
    Last edited by gbmama; 09-15-08 at 05:46 PM.
    09-15-08 05:41 PM
    I just downloaded Cacheberry but I don't like having to download files from geocaching.com unto my curve
    I do, however, like my brothers Iphone app and love Geocache Navigator on my friends bb.

Does anyone know of any apps for 8320? I found a guy who made an app for Australia...but uh, yeah...I won't be there anytime soon....
    02-02-09 12:28 PM
    Paid for a months subscription of Geocache Navigator and went out to one of the local parks with my wife today to test it out .

Of the 4 caches that we tried finding , we successfully found 3 of them .

When GN said we were right on top of the cache , we were usually within 20 feet of it's actual location . Not bad at all considering we went out with a buddy a few weeks ago and cached with his Garmin and had the same results as far as pinpointing the cache location . One advantage I have over him though is with my berry and GN , I can search caches on the fly ...whereas he needs to preprogram hid Garmin before leaving his house . Kind of restricting in my opinion .

With todays success I'm thinking once my months subscription is up that I'm going to purchase the year long subscription .
    02-08-09 06:53 PM
    hello All,

i geocache with my Blackberry storm and a app called BlackStar.
    Awesome program and its free. You can go online and get the closes caches around you and download them right to your phone. I have found 57 caches so far with no other GPS. I would highly recommend BlackStar.
    02-09-09 11:44 PM
    I use BlackStar also. It's free, and it does an excellent job of giving you the closest caches to your location. After using it for about a month I haven't had any problems with it.
    02-11-09 04:49 PM
    Can anyone tell me why I can not pull up geocaching.com google maps? Is that what you mean by it is locked by Verizon? I get to the cache page click on the map...the page appears but not the map. Thoughts?
    Also regarding Blackstar can you give me some more info to how to use it. I am new to BB but not caching. Thanks
    EMT
    02-12-09 12:43 AM
    Can anyone tell me why I can not pull up geocaching.com google maps? Is that what you mean by it is locked by Verizon? I get to the cache page click on the map...the page appears but not the map. Thoughts?
    It probably has something to do with Flash not being supported on the BB browser or something similar to that. Not sure, but that is what I suspect.
    Also regarding Blackstar can you give me some more info to how to use it. I am new to BB but not caching. Thanks
    EMT
    Have you downloaded it yet?
    Are you a premium member on geocaching.com? If so, you can import GPX files from your pocket queries, but the current version has problems with large files, so keep it to approx 20 caches and you would be fine. The next version will fix this to allow large files. If you are not a premium member, you can still import LOC files. The GPX and LOC files first need to be stored on your sd card.

Once the caches are loaded, you can select one as a destination and BlackStar will provide a bearing arrow just like your handheld GPS would.

We also provide links to the GC cache page and a link to pull up the gc search page with your current lat/lon. At which point you can select all caches and download the loc file to import to B*.

If you need some light reading, check out the thread http://forums.crackberry.com/f41/app...ut-maps-20979/. It is only 43 pages
    02-12-09 07:52 AM
    I use BlackStar also. It's free, and it does an excellent job of giving you the closest caches to your location. After using it for about a month I haven't had any problems with it.
    Been looking for AGES for something to help me with this!
    Downloading now!

thanks all
    02-18-09 09:45 AM
    all I can say is BlackStar!

Its free and you can download the waypoints right off of geocaching.com website and load them into software and off you go. Its simple to use and works great.
    03-07-09 07:03 PM
    I have been using Cacheberry on my 8330 for 6 weeks and have logged 174 finds. I tried Blackstar and found that it lacked features that Cacheberry has. Sure Cacheberry isnt free after the 30 day trial but its only a one-time $14.95 registration fee.
    03-20-09 09:17 PM
    Anyone using CacheBerry might be interested to know about the new beta release, v1.99.94. Ihat includes a compass and other nice features. Looks like it's a very strong contender to B* and Geocache Navigator. I think GN has catching up to do with both the other programs.
    03-21-09 09:40 AM
    It says no gps receiver is available...

Help...
    03-22-09 12:27 AM
    It says no gps receiver is available...

Help...
    Verizon has locked down their internal GPS so that it only works with VZ Navigator and, I think, Google Maps. It will not work with third party apps like BlackStar.
    03-22-09 08:31 AM
    The 8830 (and probably other Verizon devices) can use Bluetooth gps units and Blackstar.

The internal gps will work with Verizon Navigator (for $10/month) and BBMaps (google will only use cell towers unless you have bluetooth gps)
    03-22-09 10:15 AM
    Just found CacheBerry today (only having had the Bold for not quite 3 months (Verizon prior) and thinking about taking up Geocaching again). Not bad. I wish there was a way of opening up zip files (from the geocaching queries). I will probably end up buying it, but I want to make sure I keep at it.
    03-22-09 09:38 PM
    Just found CacheBerry today (only having had the Bold for not quite 3 months (Verizon prior) and thinking about taking up Geocaching again). Not bad. I wish there was a way of opening up zip files (from the geocaching queries). I will probably end up buying it, but I want to make sure I keep at it.
    Try the free (donationware) BBFileScout for dealing with those PQ's. BBFileScout Homepage - Software for Blackberry� Devices with OS 4.3 or higher
    03-23-09 04:26 PM
    You do not have to have you PQs zipped when they are sent. I often send mine unzipped.
    03-23-09 06:59 PM
    You do not have to have you PQs zipped when they are sent. I often send mine unzipped.
    Well son of a... In all this time I never even looked at that. Being able to skip the .zip could actually be very useful. Thanks for pointing that out.

Even so, check out BBFileScout. It's come along very well and it's useful. I wouldn't have shelled out for File Manager Pro if I'd know about it earlier.
    03-23-09 09:39 PM
157 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD