Hi guys, I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right area, but I'm sure I'll be told off if it's not.. Lol.
    Anyways, I've had my Blackberry for just over a year now. Had one replacement about three months ago as the trackpad stopped working for some reason.
    I think its the 8520? The white one.
    I have been trying to 'bump up' my knowledge on BB's, but there just so many things I don't understand!
    I'm also running on Wifi whilst I'm writing this, a my phone has been put on incoming only until tomorrow, so some pages take ages to load, so doing lots of research is so time consuming!

A few questions though;
    1 - What's an OS?
    2 - Is it possible to clean around the Keyboard? (With my BB being white, all the dirt shows up.. :/)
    3 - Is there any way to change covers yourself?

Apologies in advance if these questions have been answered or are deemed.. Stupid.
    Thanks, Jazzii.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-02-11 08:57 PM
    OS is operating system. Options>about will tell you which one you are on. Occasionally new ones are released. Some are worth "upgrading" to others aren't. As a general rule wait a week after release to read feedback from braver members.

Questions 2 and 3 I don't know.

02-02-11 09:44 PM
    For these questions, this is a fine place to put them...

1. Stands for Operating System. It's like Windows for your phone. You can find this by going to Options> About, it will be in the third line from the top and have a "v" in front of it. You can also type "myver" and then a space just about anywhere in your phone. This will give you your phone model with the OS version after it.
    2. I use a toothbrush, an old one, not the one I use on my teeth...
    3. Yes, this will void the warranty though if that's something you're concerned with. Check out YouTube for videos and instructions to do so. If you're asking about just an aftermarket case you can take on and off then go take a look in the CrackBerry Store.
    02-02-11 09:46 PM
    Hi guys, I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right area, but I'm sure I'll be told off if it's not.. Lol.
    Anyways, I've had my Blackberry for just over a year now. Had one replacement about three months ago as the trackpad stopped working for some reason.
    I think its the 8520? The white one.
    I have been trying to 'bump up' my knowledge on BB's, but there just so many things I don't understand!
    I'm also running on Wifi whilst I'm writing this, a my phone has been put on incoming only until tomorrow, so some pages take ages to load, so doing lots of research is so time consuming!

A few questions though;
    1 - What's an OS?
    2 - Is it possible to clean around the Keyboard? (With my BB being white, all the dirt shows up.. :/)

Apologies in advance if these questions have been answered or are deemed.. Stupid.
    Thanks, Jazzii.

OS is the operating system as explained by the above post. I use a microfiber cloth to clean mine all over, I have no dirt between the keys and mine is not white. Finally you can replace the cover but it will void your warranty, There's alot of videos on youtube with that info. By the way, there are no stupid questions. Let us know if you need help!

Welcome to CB!
    02-02-11 10:20 PM
    A good place to start learning is to read the 101 series here at CB. There's a link to it in my signature below. welcome to CB and good luck.
    02-02-11 11:34 PM
    for #2, you can use a can of compressed compressed air to clean between the keys, and then use a wrung out rubbing alcohol soaked cloth to clean the keys. If it's between, then using a toothbrush should work, but be very gentle!
    02-02-11 11:57 PM
    For cleaning, you might also try Cyber Clean. http://crackberry.com/clean-your-blackberry-cyber-clean

02-03-11 12:41 AM
    A few questions though;
    1 - What's an OS?
    1. OS is short for Operating System as other users have stated.

2. Like they said you can use microfiber cloths to clean around the keyboard/phone or you could take aprt the phone and give it a deep cleaning.

3. The only way to change covers is if you take apart the phone's housing which voids the manufacturer's warranty or by changing out different covers for the phone.
    02-03-11 01:01 AM
    You should be pretty clear on what an OS is now. As far as cleaning your keyboard, the toothbrush is a good method as stated above but you my consider a cotton ball with a bit of rubbing alcohol for a less "abrasive" method. If you want to change the look of your device without voiding the warranty, consider a decorative protective case or a thin, protective skin cover.
    02-03-11 02:05 AM
    Thanks guys! All answers were really helpful! Just a quick one though... I've looked on the BB Official website and I saw there was an OS 6? Is that available for my BB Curve 8520 or is it only for the Torch?

Again, Thanks! Jazzii.
    02-03-11 06:58 AM
    Thanks guys! All answers were really helpful! Just a quick one though... I've looked on the BB Official website and I saw there was an OS 6? Is that available for my BB Curve 8520 or is it only for the Torch?

Again, Thanks! Jazzii.
    Unfortunately, OS 6 will not be available for the 8520. OS 6 is / will be available for all 9xxx devices (except the 9000) and all future devices. It will not be released for any 8xxx devices, which is too bad because the 8900 / 8520 / 8530 (hardware wise) are capable of it. OS 5 is still a very good OS though, I have an 8520 as a backup running 5.0.0.900, and it's a very solid phone!
    02-03-11 10:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD