I have BES on my BlackBerry, but some areas of my office don't get Verizon service. If I had a BlackBerry with wifi that was connected to my office's wireless network, would it be able to connect to the BES server to have my emails pushed to it, etc., even if I wasn't getting a signal from Verizon? Or would the wifi only give me the ability to browse the web?

Thanks.
    09-17-09 07:44 PM
    Wifi is included on several models to support Unlicenced Mobile Access (UMA), which does exactly what you are asking for.

UMA uses Wifi, when available, for voice and data at high bandwidth.

The down side, your carrier must support UMA. Only T-Mobile USA currently supports UMA.
    09-17-09 08:34 PM
    Yep, and there's currently no CDMA BlackBerry devices with WiFi.
    09-17-09 08:38 PM
    I'm vaguely familiar with UMA.

I do not need to be able to make calls from wifi. I just need to get my emails pushed to my phone when I'm on wifi, but don't have Verizon service when I'm in a dead spot. Will wifi work for this even without UMA support?

Wifi is included on several models to support Unlicenced Mobile Access (UMA), which does exactly what you are asking for.

UMA uses Wifi, when available, for voice and data at high bandwidth.

The down side, your carrier must support UMA. Only T-Mobile USA currently supports UMA.
    09-18-09 11:04 AM
    Right, but presumably there will be within the next couple of months (Storm 2, 8530).

Yep, and there's currently no CDMA BlackBerry devices with WiFi.
    09-18-09 11:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD