In my opinion, RIM has gained already lots of followers during the whole procedure. I've being searching and following BB10 for almost a year now, and i can tell you that the feedback we were getting back then, was not even a 5% of the feedback we're getting right now. GP is starting to get interested in at least knowing about whats up with BlackBerry and RIM, you can see it on the YouTube's comments and views, the devs interest, the media, the analysts, and here on CrackBerry nation.

Now is all about the 30th and the post-launch advertisement campaign, you'll see how the numbers of followers will increase sharply over the next few months. I'm pretty confident that BB10 will be trendy topic as soon as they launch.

GO RIM !!
    01-22-13 12:28 PM
    Come on, don't make such a stupid statement. All premium smart phones cost $200 with a contract so I don't know how someone buying an iPhone is getting ripped off. I know BB people don't want to hear it, but people 'keep coming back' to Apple products because they're extremely well made and easy to use. Apple has some of the best retention rates in the industry and there's a reason beyond the public being 'uneducated', it's because people enjoy using the product. (All this is coming from an iPhone user who's switching to BB10 but I'm the exception, not the rule. Love the iPhone but ready for a change)

EDIT: As for the original topic, BB's biggest problem is that for the last 2 years their OS has looked like *** compared to Android and iOs. They need to pimp out BB10 like nobody's business and hope that word of mouth and good press can educate people who are mulling over switching from their current smartphone ecosystem or entering it for the first time. BB10 is an awesome operating system but a vast majority of people are going to think of the old OS when they hear BB and it's up to the company to change that. Gonna be an uphill battle.
    I didnt say it wasn't a quality product but they rip off their user base by doing things like minor upgrades and then saying previous versions are no longer supported or changing the connection port so that all your older docking stations are no longer compatible with the new iphone or Ipad Etc.. now if they gave the adaptor for free with the new phones i wouldn't have an issue but the fact that they rip their customers off by charging them another 25 dollars for an adaptor ontop of what they have already paid is just robbery. I guess this all comes down to good marketing and i guess if they can get away with it then why not. Personally i wouldn't support a company like Apple no matter how great their products are.
    01-22-13 12:35 PM
    It'll take a fair while for them to do so. But as we saw with Blackberry too, leaking sales happens slowly over time, before collapsing unless you do something to stop it. I can see people moving away from Apple, but not yet, and not if they do something exciting to prevent it happening. That's not because there's something wrong with it, just that people do have a nasty habit of getting bored with what they have and seek a change. The big achievement for them has been to make it not worth people's while, and overcoming that barrier is the reason leakage is likely to be low for the foreseeable future.

I would say that an entry level BB10 phone is an interesting one to grab Android marketshare, because that's not an area Apple play in too much.
    I work in public education and I don't see Apple going the same way as BlackBerry in terms of leaking sales. Beginning in the elementary grades and continuing through high school, Apple is a part of student's lives. In the district where I teach, Mac computers, iPods, iPads, and Apple TVs are present in almost every classroom. Throughout the USA teachers are trained on how to provide instruction using Apple products. I've no doubt the BB10 devices will be a huge hit with BlackBerry loyalists, but Apple is being ingrained in the American culture and I'm not sure it is possible for RIM to make much of an inroad in it's territory.
    01-22-13 12:56 PM
    I work in public education and I don't see Apple going the same way as BlackBerry in terms of leaking sales. Beginning in the elementary grades and continuing through high school, Apple is a part of student's lives. In the district where I teach, Mac computers, iPods, iPads, and Apple TVs are present in almost every classroom. Throughout the USA teachers are trained on how to provide instruction using Apple products. I've no doubt the BB10 devices will be a huge hit with BlackBerry loyalists, but Apple is being ingrained in the American culture and I'm not sure it is possible for RIM to make much of an inroad in it's territory.
    Sorry if I gave the impression I thought it would, that wasn't my intention at all. Things can and do change rapidly in this sector, but I absolutely wasn't saying there signs of imminent collapse.
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    01-22-13 01:05 PM
    Sorry if I gave the impression I thought it would, that wasn't my intention at all. Things can and do change rapidly in this sector, but I absolutely wasn't saying there signs of imminent collapse.
    I understood what you were saying and I agree with you.
    Banco likes this.
    01-22-13 01:13 PM
    How could they do that? The only way is through something like a BBM broadcast message. RIM don't have the personal details of most users.
    emails. their own website had nothing to do with BB10 until recently. facebook as well.
    01-22-13 01:16 PM
    I'm doing my part. I'm telling every family member, co-worker and friend my next phone will be from RIM and it will be running BB10. It's a good shock too since I'm known as the bleeding edge tech guy. Anytime I get a chance to post on Facebook or some non-BB tech site to try to help people understand they need to throw away their preconceptions about BB, I do. My facebook avatar is just big picture of the text "Blackberry 10." I'm going grass roots on BB10.
    01-22-13 01:35 PM
    emails. their own website had nothing to do with BB10 until recently. facebook as well.
    Only if you gave it to them. A lot of people wouldn't have done.
    01-22-13 01:37 PM
    Amen to that!!

this is yet another "rim should be marketing" thread. Just let the chief marketing officer do his thing.
    01-22-13 01:39 PM
    I'm doing my part. I'm telling every family member, co-worker and friend my next phone will be from RIM and it will be running BB10. It's a good shock too since I'm known as the bleeding edge tech guy. Anytime I get a chance to post on Facebook or some non-BB tech site to try to help people understand they need to throw away their preconceptions about BB, I do. My facebook avatar is just big picture of the text "Blackberry 10." I'm going grass roots on BB10.
    Same here! Although I'm pretty sure they are all sick of hearing me preaching about BlackBerry 10 lol. I can't wait to have the device in my hand so they can see its not just all talk. That being said a lot of people have commented on bb10 and have been pretty positive
    01-22-13 01:41 PM
    Only if you gave it to them. A lot of people wouldn't have done.
    true, but a lot of people have done as well.
    either way its too late now
    01-22-13 01:43 PM
  12. Professional_Tickle_Fighter's Avatar
    General public is uneducated on all things...
    01-22-13 01:45 PM
    Marketing to the masses will take time. Once the phones are actually on the shelves, then the word of mouth momentum can take off.
    Research In Motion is going to need 3 months of saturating the marketing media (radio, television, print, and on-line) beginning 30/31 January 2013. A lesser effort will negatively impact sales of BlackBerry 10 smartphones. The BlackBerry PlayBook (WiFi and 3G versions) have had next to no marketing and their sales numbers reflect the absence of marketing.
    01-22-13 01:58 PM
    The title of this thread is 3 words too long...
    Masahiro and Frosty_Power like this.
    01-22-13 02:01 PM
    The title of this thread is 3 words too long...
    LOL.
    JR A likes this.
    01-22-13 02:07 PM
    The happened to me... A teen comparing her Curve 8520 to an iPhone 5, an concluded by saying”BB10 is an outdated operating system” I was supprised that she didn't know anything at all about bb10, even after I told her how BB10 was way better then OS 5 and iPhone 5...
    This is a HUGE problem for RIM, US carriers, and potential buyers. Carriers were famous for putting old technology in BlackBerry buyers' hands. Example: When I purchased my 9810, my friend got a 9800. When I purchased a 9900 shortly thereafter, another friend was sold a TOUR. It's hard to blame either of them though. US carriers and their incompetent sales people did ZERO to differentiate between the BlackBerry lineup of phones. Both friends eventually left BlackBerry altogether for iPhone/Android. All the while, my efforts to convince both friends to get OS7 phones were futile. The bridges were already burned.

RIM is toast if they don't address this issue with the carriers who are responsible for selling their product.
    01-22-13 04:56 PM
    This is a HUGE problem for RIM, US carriers, and potential buyers. Carriers were famous for putting old technology in BlackBerry buyers' hands. Example: When I purchased my 9810, my friend got a 9800. When I purchased a 9900 shortly thereafter, another friend was sold a TOUR. It's hard to blame either of them though. US carriers and their incompetent sales people did ZERO to differentiate between the BlackBerry lineup of phones. Both friends eventually left BlackBerry altogether for iPhone/Android. All the while, my efforts to convince both friends to get OS7 phones were futile. The bridges were already burned.

RIM is toast if they don't address this issue with the carriers who are responsible for selling their product.
    I think that's one very good thing about having Frank Boulben as CMO. He comes from a carrier background and would be well aware of how to deal with such issues.
    01-22-13 05:04 PM
    My Local radio station posted a question on twitter asking if people would be upgrading to BB10. A lot of the responses were from mostly uneducated users comparing Blackberry to Iphone and Androids based on the old BB OS and saying they were done with Blackberry. RIM needs to hurry up and show the public that this is a whole new platform and that any problems with the old BB OS wont be present on BB10. A lot of people know nothing about BB10 but have already decided its horrible based on the old OS and also based on what the general public says about the old OS i think this is RIMs problem. Hopefully once the actual device is released and these users can see the Z10 actually being used in everyday life they will begin to change their mind.
    By default you are an example of current market stratagy; The raido station post a question. people respond giving others a chance to inform! Thanks for participating. Truthfully I mean that!
    01-22-13 05:15 PM
43 12