i recently got a 8120 from t-mobile and i am having trouble with it deleating information like all my texts and recent calls (missed, dialed, recieved) what can i do so it keeps this information more than 8-10 hours?
    Last edited by iamsam85; 02-21-09 at 10:12 AM.
    02-21-09 10:01 AM
    Check your free memory: Options / Status / File Free:

What you are describing is typical of the problems caused by low available memory. Any time "File Free" drops below 12 000 000 bytes, the phone will start deleting call logs and text messages without warning to free up memory. Text messages may be deleted as soon as they arrive, before you have had time to read them.

A battery pull recovers memory and will alleviate the problem temporarily. The solution is to remove the stuff you don't need (the sample video, wallpaper, themes, other languages, brickbreaker, etc.) from the device's memory. The following procedure, originally written by Forums Moderator Reed McLay will guide you:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/

Also, if you have a Media Card, be sure to put pictures, videos, music, and ringtones on it, not in your device's memory. Keep in mind that Media Card memory is not device memory. You have to keep your device memory above 12 000 000 bytes, regardless of the capacity of your Media Card or how much free space it has. Finally, you can't at this time run programs from a Media Card. Programs have to be installed in and executed in device memory.
    02-21-09 10:42 AM
    This is typical of low memory. Not sure what it should be on a Pearl (on a Curve it's 12,000,000 bytes free).
    Check Options > Status > File Free
    Try a battery pull - remove battery with phone on, wait a bit, and replace.
    Close apps using MenuKey > Close rahter than the "back" button
    Follow these instructions.

Edit: sorry, JeffH, you slid in ahead of me while typing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-21-09 10:43 AM
    thanks so much for the help, i looked at the file free and it said 1 000 000 bytes, the weird thing was that everything was saved on the mem card and when i pulled the card out it jumped to 3308504 and then i put it back in it went up to 3309500, is there a reson for the jumps just from removing a mem card?

you also said Close apps using MenuKey > Close rahter than the "back" button
    is there a way i can see what apps are open so if this problm occurs again i can close them all at once?
    02-21-09 12:08 PM
    <snip>you also said Close apps using MenuKey > Close rahter than the "back" button
    is there a way i can see what apps are open so if this problm occurs again i can close them all at once?
    ALT+BackKey (to right of trackball) or MenuKey > Switch Applications. Then scroll trackball left and right to see and/or select apps. On my Curve there are four that never close: Phone Log, Home, BlackBerry Messenger, and Browser (plus some other 3rd-party apps). Not sure if all devices are same. Can't close all at once, just activate one by one and then close with MenuKey>Close.

Edit: incidentally, File Free does not register space on the media card, just what's in memory.

Last edited by jbeachy; 02-21-09 at 12:16 PM.
    02-21-09 12:14 PM
    Yes! From your home screen, press and hold the Alt key and press the Back key. This will bring up a screen of current running apps. There are five that you can't close entirely! These include Browser, Messages, BBM, Call Log and Home Screen.

02-21-09 12:14 PM
    Great advise guys.

I have MOP my 8120 and I have 24 Mb after a fresh start. It is normal for it to hover around 14 Mb with extended use.

Does yours have the v4.5xx OS? You can check that with Options / About.

02-21-09 01:12 PM
    Yes that is a good suggestion. Should make sure to visit the 8120 board and get 4.5 highest upgrade os for your device and see how that works. Upgraded os can help memory management and patch memory leaks as well as speed up lag which can in turn improve your overall experience with your pearl 8120. So I would try that as well

02-21-09 01:18 PM
    mine says its v4.3.0.115 (platform 2.6.0.64)
    does that mean it needs updated?
    02-22-09 05:37 PM
    Yes you have an older OS, you should be able to find the update and other useful info about your device in the 81XX Pearl Forum.
    02-22-09 05:42 PM
    The upgrade will make a substantial difference in your BlackBerrys performance.

The samples have been stripped, that saves about 6 Mb. The device reserved memory has been reduced to 5 Mb, another 7 Mb in savings.

Throw in the new features like HTML email and streaming media and several major bug fixes, there are many good reasons for doing the upgrade.
    02-23-09 10:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD