Hi, I am new to the site and am trying to decide on going w a Bold or waiting for the Javelin. Can someone explain to me, since the Javelin doesn't have 3G, will I be able to run a program while speaking on the phone? ie, can I be talking to someone and surfing the net or do you need 3G for this? Thanks all. I looked at the IPHONE originally, then tried the Black, and it truly is a wonderful device.
    12-19-08 03:10 PM
    You can do it if wifi is connected, otherwise no.
    12-19-08 03:17 PM
    but I can run general programs as long as they do not require internet usage?
    12-19-08 03:20 PM
    but I can run general programs as long as they do not require internet usage?
    BlackBerry OS is multitasking. While talking on speakerphone you can lookup contact and calendar info, compose a new email, and hit send. If you have a 3G connection the Bold will send it while you talk. On 2G service the outgoing mail is automatically held until you terminate the voice call.

The phone is better at multitasking than the operator, you should be able to use other programs as well if you can handle the coordination of your fingers. The other limitation on multitasking is the screen, which is not big enough to support useful windowing so you can only see one active application.
    12-19-08 04:43 PM
    But you can become adept at switching between screens and apps using your alt - back keys.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-19-08 04:56 PM
    Simple. Without 3G you will NOT be able to talk on the phone and run programs that require 3G connection for Data. for instance, you will not receive e-mail when you are on the phone.
    12-19-08 05:46 PM
    I believe that you will be able to multi-task using applications while speaking on the phone; however, the internet may not be able to connect. That kind of sucks, I hear ya... not quite sure about the Curve 8900, tho.
    12-19-08 09:47 PM
    Got it. Thanks for all your help. I am in the med field and want to be sure that I can be talking on speakerphone while either looking up a drug on a program i have running, or access the internet if I need to. I don't care about waiting the extra few minutes for email. 90% of it is junk anyways.
    Thanks again.
    12-20-08 01:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD