What is the last BlackBerry model offered before the integration with Google (by way of Android on the Priv)?

Asking because I've had it with the gmonster.
    09-24-17 04:12 PM
    The last non-Android phone they released was the Passport Silver Edition back in 2015; any BB10 device fits the bill.
    RJanney likes this.
    09-24-17 04:44 PM
    Thanks. I've been seeing BB10 Porsche 9982s on sale - the only reason I went with the Priv was the larger (32gb) space. The camera is pretty nice, the resolution is really nice, but google being integrated into everything is unnerving and a PITA. P'9982 with 64 gb & I'm happier with it, plus being more familiar (let alone able) to tweak what I want.
    09-24-17 07:27 PM
    The last non-Android phone they released was the Passport Silver Edition back in 2015; any BB10 device fits the bill.
    That's KIND OF true, but the PP SE is just the 2014 PP in a newer/different case. The actual last BB10 phone was the Leap, released in early 2015.

Of course, BB10 is no longer supported, and is losing compatibility with apps and services almost daily as the rest of the world continues to evolve. Anyone buying BB10 devices today needs to understand that they'll face severe and increasing limitations, and that no one is going to be fixing or updating anything. If you can still make BB10 work for you, great - keep right on using it. Just don't complain when you run into serious obstacles - and you will - because BB10's development effectively ended at the end of 2014.
    cribble2k likes this.
    09-24-17 08:01 PM
    Thanks. I've been seeing BB10 Porsche 9982s on sale - the only reason I went with the Priv was the larger (32gb) space. The camera is pretty nice, the resolution is really nice, but google being integrated into everything is unnerving and a PITA. P'9982 with 64 gb & I'm happier with it, plus being more familiar (let alone able) to tweak what I want.
    Hi RJanney, why don't you use an SD card? This will solve the storage issue you mention, on any bb10 device.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Aman Darred; 09-25-17 at 09:00 AM.
    09-25-17 08:10 AM
    Google isn't that integrated into everything if you don't want it to be. I hardly use Google services for anything (besides Play Store, where you have to get apps from). The beauty of having a flourishing ecosystem is being able to have numerous alternatives for anything you want to do.
    09-25-17 08:53 AM
    That's KIND OF true, but the PP SE is just the 2014 PP in a newer/different case. The actual last BB10 phone was the Leap, released in early 2015.

Of course, BB10 is no longer supported, and is losing compatibility with apps and services almost daily as the rest of the world continues to evolve. Anyone buying BB10 devices today needs to understand that they'll face severe and increasing limitations, and that no one is going to be fixing or updating anything. If you can still make BB10 work for you, great - keep right on using it. Just don't complain when you run into serious obstacles - and you will - because BB10's development effectively ended at the end of 2014.
    Of course the LEAP is just another (larger) case for the Z10 that was release in 2013.... Which is why most BlackBerry fans sorta ignored it....

OP... the "more familiar with", comes with taking time to learn. Sticking with BB10 your only putting off what you'll eventually have to do - learn either iOS or Android.
    09-25-17 10:02 AM
    What is the last BlackBerry model offered before the integration with Google (by way of Android on the Priv)?

Asking because I've had it with the gmonster.
    All Passports have the advantage of a faster processor than the other BB10 devices.

If you've just had it with Google, though, you might consider Replicant. It's as open source as possible and available on a variety of (aging) handsets. If I was considering a keyboard-less, Google-less phone, I'd look at it. Apparently, Jolla's Sailfish is available for one Sony phone too.

Sent from my Passport using Forum Fiend OSP
    09-25-17 10:12 AM
    Apparently, Jolla's Sailfish is available for one Sony phone too.
    Except that Sailfish has something like 400 native apps, and has the same issue BB10 has with an aging Android Runtime that will never be updated. Unless all you do is call and text and web-browse, you'll be seriously challenged using it as a primary smartphone.
    09-25-17 10:57 AM
    Except that Sailfish has something like 400 native apps, and has the same issue BB10 has with an aging Android Runtime that will never be updated. Unless all you do is call and text and web-browse, you'll be seriously challenged using it as a primary smartphone.
    It's almost laughable.....

Only phone right now is the (F5121) Xperia X, which was released Jan 2016. You'll have to buy the phone, then buy the OS and install it yourself. And hope there is enough of a community to help you out if there are issues. And they made it pretty clear, Sony isn't going to warrant any devices that have had their boot loader unlocked.

This is strictly a "project" - something to play with on the weekends.

Did read on the comments about maybe using the Jolla Tablet refund program to pay for these downloads. If users haven't gotten their refunds by now.....
    09-25-17 02:29 PM
    I was just checking out os10 app world last night and there’s a lot of apps that have been recently updated actually
    09-25-17 03:50 PM
    Originally Posted by Shuswap

Apparently, Jolla's Sailfish is available for one Sony phone too.

Very true. The OP said nothing about app selection though -- just wanting to avoid Google. So I made suggestions on that basis.

Sent from my Passport using Forum Fiend OSP
    09-25-17 11:58 PM
    I was just checking out os10 app world last night and there’s a lot of apps that have been recently updated actually
    Yes, I still get app updates almost weekly and note cool new BB10 apps, like Back2Normal, appearing in BlackBerry World. No one mentions this, among all the doom and gloom, in these forums.

BB, Still the One
    09-26-17 04:44 AM
    Of course the LEAP is just another (larger) case for the Z10 that was release in 2013.... Which is why most BlackBerry fans sorta ignored it....
    Well, it's the same SoC, but a few noteable differences. But it is definitely true that it was far from a flagship when released, and that the Passport had the best specs of any BB10 phone released.
    09-26-17 01:08 PM