I have been told that I can achieve better battery life by waiting to charge my phone until after it is completely drained. However, sometimes I still have 1 or 2 bars when I get home at 10pm and really can't wait up for the cell to die.

My brother and I picked up the same phone on the same day about 3 years ago. I picked up 2 additional batteries for mine and ONLY charged them once they were completely dead. He charged his whenever he was near an outlet. I'm not 100% certain but I believe my batteries lasted longer due to being "trained" better.

So is it bad for my battery to have it charged at night regardless of the bar level? I am planning on getting a BB Tour when it comes out, but since the phone is twice the size of my current phone, I was hoping to no longer need to carry around 2 batteries and just charge every night.

What do you suggest? Should I continue to carry 2 batteries and only charge them when they are fully dead, or just charge every night.

Thank you
    06-08-09 05:31 PM
    I would just charge it every night, regardless or the level they're at, unless they're almost fully charged. At that point, I'd just turn it off for the night if you can. I wouldn't do what your brother does though.
    06-08-09 05:34 PM
    Charging the battery overnight is no danger. It has overcharge
    protection.

What is bad is running it down until it is almost dead. Two things
    will happen if you continue doing so.

1) The battery will eventually NOT fully charge.
    2) You will shorten its serviceable life.

The best thing to do is charge it as often as possible. That is
    how Li-Ion batteries work. Deep discharging the battery is
    not a good thing at all.
    06-08-09 05:49 PM
    Charging the battery overnight is no danger. It has overcharge
    protection.

What is bad is running it down until it is almost dead. Two things
    will happen if you continue doing so.

1) The battery will eventually NOT fully charge.
    2) You will shorten its serviceable life.

The best thing to do is charge it as often as possible. That is
    how Li-Ion batteries work. Deep discharging the battery is
    not a good thing at all.
    I have used the same batteries for 3+ years and haven't charged them until there wasn't enough juice in them to power the phone on. However I still get the same battery life as the first month I had it. Perhaps this applies to BB batteries only? Though I just read a few websites that agree with you. I'm just confused on how I have not noticed an issue like others have .

Am I the only one who lets their batteries die completely before fully charging?
    06-08-09 06:04 PM
    I've never had a battery problem, charging it every night. I've also not worried about whether its time to charge, will it last one more day, am I getting the maximum battery life, etc.

You're doing a lot of overthinking to keep from having to replace a cheap battery that you bought 2 more of already...
    06-08-09 06:54 PM
    I have been told that I can achieve better battery life by waiting to charge my phone until after it is completely drained. However, sometimes I still have 1 or 2 bars when I get home at 10pm and really can't wait up for the cell to die.

My brother and I picked up the same phone on the same day about 3 years ago. I picked up 2 additional batteries for mine and ONLY charged them once they were completely dead. He charged his whenever he was near an outlet. I'm not 100% certain but I believe my batteries lasted longer due to being "trained" better.

So is it bad for my battery to have it charged at night regardless of the bar level? I am planning on getting a BB Tour when it comes out, but since the phone is twice the size of my current phone, I was hoping to no longer need to carry around 2 batteries and just charge every night.

What do you suggest? Should I continue to carry 2 batteries and only charge them when they are fully dead, or just charge every night.

Thank you

new batterys work with charge cycles..

meaning going from 0-100 percent charge is 1 charge cycle

so if your phone is at 60 percent

and you charge it up to 100 percent thats 40 percent and you would need to charge it another 60 percent to get a full charge cycle.

so in other words it doesn't matter when you charge it its still going to last the same amount of charge cycles
    06-08-09 06:57 PM
    I charge my phone every night and sometimes throughout the day if I have the chance to do so. I've never had any sort of battery problems. This also coming from someone who has, and had a bunch of different phones.
    06-08-09 07:59 PM
    Thank you guys. This was very helpful. I hope to get my first BB soon and, just like getting a new car, you want to make sure everything is done right at first . I guess I worry too much. The price of the battery isn't the real issue. What bothered me was the possibility of risking a dead battery half way through the day due to charging improperly .
    06-08-09 09:28 PM
    Also, don't buy a new battery until the one you currently haves fails to hold a charge. Li-ion batteries have horrible shelf life and will die very quickly if they are not used regularly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-09-09 12:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD