I have read as many Garmin links (Not so many TeleNav) and threads as I can and have thoroughly read the information on the Garmin website for Blackberry, seen the screenshots, etc...

--Directions To
    --Navigate To
    --Integrates with Google Maps
    --Navigate to Contact(s)
    --Mark as Favorite
    etc... etc...

And by those merits alone I am almost positive I am going to buy it, but does it have any GPS "TOOLS". Like be at a location and "Mark it" then go to another location and "mark it". Tell me how far point to point by street OR by straight line, etc.. Does it give altitude readings, MPH, etc...

I love the navigation aspects of the Garmin software (possibly TeleNav also) but just wondering if I could get any input from Garmin / TeleNav users or "Power Users" on what all kinds of extra "tools" it gives you? Or is it just a hopped up Sprint Nav/Google Maps type program?(Not comparing it to SprintNav by ANY means).... just wondering about the "extras".

I'm REALLY wanting something that has extra tools to do things like measure distances, altitudes, etc..

Please offer any advice you can.
    09-03-10 08:04 PM
    I do not believe the Garmin app has much other than traffic and weather functions. I have not noticed elevation. And I have not really looked but I'm not sure that trip planning on the unit from A to B where you are somewhere else entirely (you may be able to do that on a computer). I believe it only "navigates" from where you are to some selected destination. Others might correct me if I'm wrong.
    09-04-10 01:41 AM
    Ok, thanks for the reply. I believe I'm still going to get it, but if anyone knows of other GPS tools besides GPS Monitor, that gives good information, please post it.

Thanks
    09-04-10 08:56 AM
    GPS is really small picking on a blackberry, you're set with all of those that you already said.
    09-04-10 09:20 AM
    Yeah... I'm now starting to realize that I'm actually already setup with what I need. Still trying to decide between TeleNav and Garmin tho. I'll probably go Garmin since it's a one time fee.
    09-04-10 12:39 PM
    Garmin will give you your speed and estimated time of arrival. It doesn't have the other capabilities you mention. I don't know any BlackBerry GPS app that does.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-06-10 09:51 AM
    Garmin will give you your speed and estimated time of arrival. It doesn't have the other capabilities you mention. I don't know any BlackBerry GPS app that does.

Well.. in terms of tools, I've since found GPS Monitor to be a nice little tool, just in case anyone is looking.

One last question guys (& gals?), between Garmon and Telenav, which one Boots the fastest? Another words, from cold start to putting in your route, which is the quickest?

Just getting ready to install the Garmin Trial off their site.(I think they offer one), but was curious about that. And my "Sprint Navigator" which has been accurate in 3 different places that my old Droid 1 was TOTALLY wrong on, has sort of impressed me. Is Sprint Nav based off Telenav?
    09-13-10 09:19 AM
    I don't know of any apps that let you add in two different points, or input altitude. There are some geocaching apps (like GPSLogger) that will let you input geolocations. It will then tell you the distance to that point from your current location.

When I was using Garmin, it was pretty quick on loading. The simple interface made it easy to use, and being able to find locations from its own interface, or using Google, was really nice.

TelNav (which powers Sprint Navigator, AT&T's, USCC's...) doesn't have as simple an interface, but does have similar features to Garmin. I think TelNav might have a few extra features to it, such as pressing the space bar to repeat directions.

Both TelNav and Garmin have the ability to plan trips via website. You can then access those plans from your BlackBerry. That's not exactly the same thing you seemed to be asking, though.
    09-13-10 09:34 AM
    ...One last question guys (& gals?), between Garmon and Telenav, which one Boots the fastest? Another words, from cold start to putting in your route, which is the quickest?...
    Some many variables affect the time to lock on that the only way to get a meaningful comparison would be to put both apps on the same device and do comparisons at the same time. That said, I used to use Telenav and presently use Garmin. I never compared them head-to-head, but they seemed to be about the same. Both apps acquire the constellation quickly.
    09-13-10 10:04 AM
    Jeff - Putting cost/payment method aside for a moment, which do you like the better...Garmin or Telenav. I have been using Telenav on my 8830 for a couple years and like it. I always have up-to-date maps. I will be getting the 9800 when it's available here on the 24th.
    Sorry if this has been asked but is the Garmin or Telenav app compatible with Blackberry touch screens?

Edit: I see that Garmin does work with touch screen but now I see that it's not avaiable through Canadian carriers. Does Telenav use touch screen functions of a smart phone?
    Last edited by pmccartney; 09-15-10 at 03:37 PM.
    09-14-10 11:36 AM
    ..........Both TelNav and Garmin have the ability to plan trips via website. You can then access those plans from your BlackBerry. That's not exactly the same thing you seemed to be asking, though.
    Cool!! Had no idea you could do this. Please tell me more about this feature. Does this cut down on the amount of data access needed (internet wise) while on the trip/route? What else does this feature do?

Since Sprint Nav is based off of TeleNav.. I'm guessing the only way to get the trip planning feature would be to get "Sprint Premium". In which case I would either get TeleNav or Garmin.

BTW, do both TeleNav and Garmin offer a Trial download? And if so, can you simply buy the software thru the software after you've realized which one you want? Or do you have to go thru a a whole different download once you purchase it (TeleNav or Garmin)
    09-15-10 02:52 PM
    Both TeleNav and Garmin have a free trial. I ended up downloading both apps again when I purchased them. I don't know that that is always required.

09-15-10 04:32 PM
    Telenav (rebranded per carrier to Sprint Nav, AT&T nav, etc) generally have a 14 day trial through the carrier. But they are a subscription service so you don't "buy" so much as sign up to have it on your account and take it off before the trial is up...
    09-17-10 09:49 PM
    Telenav (rebranded per carrier to Sprint Nav, AT&T nav, etc) generally have a 14 day trial through the carrier. But they are a subscription service so you don't "buy" so much as sign up to have it on your account and take it off before the trial is up...
    Sprint Nav is free with your BB data plan
    10-22-10 11:10 AM
    Yeah...Sprint Nav is free with my plan also.

However...I was under the impression that Verizon's Navigator was totally different from Sprint Nav. But it too is also just re-branded Telenav?
    10-23-10 03:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD