Hello, im new to the forum so bare with me if this question has been asked (I searched in advance).

Well I was a previous BB user. I had an AT&T Curve 8310. However, I switched to A BlackJack II.

Now for the good stuff......

* With my BlackJack II I found a way to download Garmin's maps onto my laptop an then load them onto my SD card. I understand that it's Windows Mobile an BB's are not. But............... is there a way for me to place my SD card into a BB and get the maps to work WITHOUT using data.

I was thinkin that maybe I could go online an d/l the free trial version of Garmin for the BB and after the trial period insert my SD with the preinstalled maps (which i have a product key generator for codes) and use it on a BB?

Or is it a little more complex then that? Would I have to have the maps formatted in a certain way to wrk on the BB other than the way they come standard for Windows mobile.

*Lastly, i've read ppl saying that TREKBUDDY will use preloaded maps. BUT.... will it let me use the garmin maps off of my laptop or will i still have to create my own an two, does it have voice features, as in talks to you!

Thanks!!!!
    11-05-08 09:43 AM
    I really need this to work for my map which is not in the trasmitted BB Data.
    I tried trekbuddy but it a pain.
    I need to know if theres a way to get Garmin Mobile to read preloaded maps.
    Thaanx
    01-03-09 05:05 PM
    I don't think you can make that work. There is a Garmin application for smartphones that supplies maps on a microSD card, but the last time I looked, it did not work on blackberries. You could check the Garmin site to see if that is still true.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-03-09 05:34 PM
    Yea I e-mailed garmin about it and they stated that because of the unique BB os, they don't offer downloadable maps. Nor are they planning on it.

bummer I know.
    01-05-09 01:33 PM
    if you guys were still wondering... check this out...

wiki.trekbuddy.net/index.php/Tutorial:_Garmin_maps_to_Trekbuddy
    04-30-09 10:05 AM
    Somebody ought to. As I've noted elsewhere, it's ridiculous to use bandwidth if you don't need to. As well, here or there it could actually save a life. I've been cycling out in the boonies, and of course there are hikers, climbers and other outdoor types out of range of cell but not GPS. If you get lost, you'd still have your GPS (and I'd be carrying one less gadget).

If the phone's GPS can see satellites, I should be able to use the signals without using bandwidth, as long as I have the software and the maps.

Still Grumping,

Tom
    04-30-09 01:54 PM
    Somebody ought to. As I've noted elsewhere, it's ridiculous to use bandwidth if you don't need to. As well, here or there it could actually save a life. I've been cycling out in the boonies, and of course there are hikers, climbers and other outdoor types out of range of cell but not GPS. If you get lost, you'd still have your GPS (and I'd be carrying one less gadget).

If the phone's GPS can see satellites, I should be able to use the signals without using bandwidth, as long as I have the software and the maps.

Still Grumping,

Tom
    I agree with your reasoning.
    04-30-09 02:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD