I've owned a couple of older Garmin stand alone GPS devices. So I'm basically familiar with what the devices can do. Of course I'm disappointed that Verizon has turned off the 8830's built-in device, and VZ Navigator is their option.

I don't do a lot of car traveling, but I do visit several cities in the U.S.A a year and want to be able to make my way in the to POI's on foot after flying into a city.

I saw a cheap/on sale TomTom One Third Edition and have it on backorder, but now I've seen this Garmin Mobile for BlackBerry that is a puck that requires a subscription fee. Is anyone out there happy with the Garmin used with an 8830? I'm reading the the TomTom POI's aren't all that good, and that routes recommended aren't always the most efficient. The only thing TomTom has that I really like is compatibility with my Apple Macintosh computer.

It seems no matter which way I turn I'm going to have to carry a bunch of devices with me. To make things worse I have a Apple iPod Touch too. It dawned on me how silly I must look as I haunt coffee shops trying to plan my routes, listen to music/watch videos/surf the Internet, answer e-mail and phone calls-using multiple devices. Keeping them all charged on the road is a pain also.

Provisioned correctly it seems like the 8830 could do most of what I need though it seems a little weak as a multi-media device. It is a shame that Verizon has gelded the GPS on it, or that the Garmin device requires a subscription.

I don't know about you but between DirectTV, cell phone service, home phone service, Internet radio service, Netflix/pay per view I'm getting a little tired of the "pay to play" subscription services spread out over multiple devices.

Should I just bite the bullet and go VZ Navigator, get a bigger storage chip for the 8830, and get a Moto S9 and call it a day?
    12-01-07 09:48 AM
    I don't do a lot of car traveling, but I do visit several cities in the U.S.A a year and want to be able to make my way in the to POI's on foot after flying into a city.
    I suggest to go for GPS subscription then, bigger storage chip for the 8830 and bluetooth stereo headsets...otherwise, get a standalone GPS device (with wider screen) and the s9 ...if you're drive a lot.
    12-01-07 09:10 PM
    Thanks for the advice. I did get the Moto S9 BT headphones and really like them. I just upgraded my 8830 and I am going to add the VZ Navigator service and see how I like it. A TomTom One 3rd Edition is on order but won't arrive until February. So I guess I can always go with that if the VZ Navigator doesn't work very well for me.
    12-08-07 03:36 PM
    cortiersrealestate com]College Station Real Estate
    02-03-10 12:38 AM
    pflugervillehomesandrealestate com]Pflugerville Houses
    02-04-10 03:18 PM
    Garmin Mobile works perfectly on my Bold 9700. The fact that Garmin mobile uses realtime Traffic updates to re-route you around problem areas (accidents, construction, etc) it makes it much more powerful if you live, work or play in an urban environment.
    Also, their maps are refreshed regularly vs. you having to buy an update to the map database for the stand alone units annually.
    02-04-10 03:35 PM
    I've had this same debate with myself many times over. Even though my device is probably better suited for this type of use, I've resisted it. I don't want to suck down my battery life when I'm making a long trip and, even on a Storm, the screen is too small, especially while driving.

It is a personal preference thing, for sure, but ultimately I decided to continue to use my Garmni Nuvi for all my driving needs and leave the phone for...well, PHONE use (ok, ok, and emails and internet and............). I don't use my phone for music, either. Again, a battery concern but I have a great, iPod for music.

Regarding the person who posted stuff about "buying updates" compared to a subscription service, at $10.00 a month, compared to a $69.00 annual update, I think the updates are cheaper! I honestly don't know how often updates are refreshed. I've done comparisons with Google Maps on my computer and compared them to my Nuvi and I'm not seeing much in the way of rapid updates...and I live in one of the fastest growing cities int he country!
    02-04-10 03:42 PM

Regarding the person who posted stuff about "buying updates" compared to a subscription service, at $10.00 a month, compared to a $69.00 annual update, I think the updates are cheaper! I honestly don't know how often updates are refreshed. I've done comparisons with Google Maps on my computer and compared them to my Nuvi and I'm not seeing much in the way of rapid updates...and I live in one of the fastest growing cities int he country!
    FYI, I bought the Garmin for BB product from Handango for $75 one-time, lifetime cost during one of their 25% off sales.

The annual map update from Garmin when ordered on-line is around $70 annually.
    02-06-10 01:02 PM
    FYI, I bought the Garmin for BB product from Handango for $75 one-time, lifetime cost during one of their 25% off sales.

Not sure if I'm understanding you correctly. You bought the app for $75, lifetime cost...so I'm guessing you don't have any monthly fee, but you still pay the $70 annual map update...I pretty much think that's what I was saying, but perhaps I wasn't clear. Sounds like you got a great deal on the initial app purchase. My point though, was that there are pros and cons to both approaches. Ultimately, I elected to have a Garmin Nuvi as it has a bigger screen display (touch), a very loud speaker system and, unlike VZW maps, I don't have to pay any monthly fee (though I realize the initial purchase was substantially higher).

There have been times, I must admit, when I thought seriously about abandoning this approach and go with something on my phone, but ultimately, I've decided I like what I have. I only buy map upgrades every other year, as I find there are not substantial enough changes in my city and area (and it's one of the top three fastest growing cities in the country) to warrant annual upgrades (we've all seen the road crews out there taking FOREVER to get a new road opened, lol). It's not a perfect approach but, it works for me.
    02-06-10 02:18 PM

I decided a while back that VZ Nav satisifies 98% of my navigational needs. The other 2% I rent a GPS. Hardware upgrade every 2 years, software update every few months, map updates automatically, one device. So for the $120/year in rent that I pay, it's worth it.

VZNAV5 is better and faster than it's predecessors.

It's a tough choice in the GPS market.

Of course one could always get an Android phone and get the navigation application for free.
    02-06-10 06:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD