• Curve

34 82.93%
  • Pearl

3 7.32%
  • Other?

2 4.88%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Hi,

I've been a user of WinMo phones for a while now, and I really don't like them—the entire OS seems clunky and design feels like an afterthought. My contract's up, and I'm planning a switch to T-Mobile from AT&T. Would anyone care to recommend a smartphone? I LOVE Blackberry email, but I've heard lots of complaints about the browser and app pricing. Internet browsing, email, and text messaging are all very important to me, and a good media player would be a plus, but it's no necessity. Right now I'm looking at the G1 (I like the web on it, and the keyboard is nice and spacious), the Curve (I like the combo of Blackberry email and the spacious keyboard), and the Pearl (I like the size). I've never owned a phone by Blackberry or the G1, so the learning curve would probably be the same I'm guessing. [Edit: If it's helpful, I currently use Google Apps for work email, so BB Enterprise Push wouldn't be of any use to me].

Thanks so much for any advice you may have to offer,

Stephen
    Last edited by asbstephen; 05-09-09 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Added information
    05-09-09 02:12 PM
    Get the G1. Unless you have business emails or something like that the email feature is not needed. Even moreso since your berry won't be able to even show most of the websites in whatever emails you receive. What other upside does a BB have over the G1?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-09-09 02:29 PM
    Since you are going over to T-Mo why aren't you considering the Blackberry 8900?
    05-09-09 02:35 PM
    Thanks for the input dave_sz... I appreciate it. You're definitely right about the website issue. The other upside, which I didn't include, is the BB looking a bit more professional and having a firmer support base—the G1 still feels a little beta. But, then again... there's the whole internet issue.

@xliderider:

Since you are going over to T-Mo why aren't you considering the Blackberry 8900?
    Darn't, I meant to include that... The downside for that one is being a bit clunky. But there are other positives, like it having the more refined, new BB interface. How can I ever decide with all these options?
    05-09-09 02:59 PM
    Between the options you listed I picked the Curve. If I were switching to T-Mob I would personally get the 8900.
    05-09-09 03:10 PM
    Pearl is great for a mostly voice user with a bit of email....Curve is great for mostly email user with a bit of voice.

Personally I use the Pearl since I'm using the voice features much more than the email (I receive a lot, I type very little...)
    05-09-09 03:48 PM
    I am feeling the CURVE LOVE! <3
    05-09-09 04:58 PM
    I would go for the 8900, but since you use Google Apps, I might consider the G1. Just to let you know, the keyboard on the G1, while spacious, is terrible. It is mushy, has very little key travel, and is all around uncomfortable. The 8900's keyboard is awesome. The 8900 is also slimmer than the 83xx, even thought it is is 0.1" taller. I highly recommend the 8900. With Google Sync, you can get your calendar and contacts on your BB, and the BIS push email works great with gmail.
    Last edited by branden3112; 05-09-09 at 07:38 PM.
    05-09-09 06:03 PM
    Thanks for the input dave_sz... I appreciate it. You're definitely right about the website issue. The other upside, which I didn't include, is the BB looking a bit more professional and having a firmer support base�the G1 still feels a little beta. But, then again... there's the whole internet issue.

@xliderider:

Darn't, I meant to include that... The downside for that one is being a bit clunky. But there are other positives, like it having the more refined, new BB interface. How can I ever decide with all these options?
    But its only the first android phone so of course it feels beta-ish. The support behind will only get bigger and bigger. Maybe you should wait for the G2.

05-09-09 08:38 PM
    Why bother even having the G1 as a choice on a blackberry centric website? lol

Since you said you love the blackberry email I'd recommend the curve you can always improve the web browsing by downloading a 3rd party browser such as opera or Bolt.
    05-09-09 08:56 PM
    I went from a Pearl to the Curve 8320 to the G1 and now I have the 8900. The G1 isn't built right and it has a lot of issues. Watching you tube on it and surfing the web is good and that is about it. If you want, you should wait for the other Android phone, other than that I AM ALOT ABOUT THE BLACKBERRY!
    05-09-09 10:06 PM
    if your a "Google Apps" fan then the G1 fits you perfect thats the only way you can really get the G1'S full power of its OS being that half the apps all tied in to one server n thats Googles.. so to get sync you got to have a google acc and thats the only way you can even boot the phone up.. But on the flip side besides its Android OS which you already had read about im sure.. The hardware of the G1 kinda sucks.. the battery sucks like 2 AA batterys..It feels like you holding a brick(i really mean it lol its like you holding a smal car tire in your hand" and the screen is ok.. the market from Google is cheap most apps is from .99-$4 But i had a G1 its great for Google users (i was and am still one ) GPS on it is good also

But the blackberry curve 8900 is the hottest blackberry out today. i dont even have to say nothing about it..you can just read the reviews of it.. its fast and it thin and small everything you can ask for!. but in the end its whatever fits you really

Bottom line..If your a Google user get the G1 if you like to be business type man/women and email alot and message get the Curve 8900

Pear is a voice user
    05-09-09 10:17 PM
    I voted, but probably unfairly.
    1. never used a G1, and 2. Pearls for Girls man, so the Curve was the only option left really!
    05-09-09 10:30 PM
    I have a G1 and Bold if I were you I would pick the G1 from what you said in your original post the G1 will fit you better. The g1 browser is only bested by the iphones browser. Emails are fast and the apps are 100 times better most are free or cost next to nothing. With the new 1.5 update the G1 is amazing.

05-09-09 10:48 PM
    That G1 keyboard is spacious. That's about it. I found the keyboard to be very mushy. Gmail is a strength of the G1. Text messaging is also better on the G1 from what I recall. And the web browser handily beats the BlackBerry browser, even with the new 4.6 browser on the 8900. I'd try out the G1 for a week and return it if you don't like it.

Please do not consider the 8320. It's a piece of junk that suffers from memory issues which requires battery pulls every 6 hours. I haven't had to do a battery pull that was just to free up memory yet with 3 weeks of usage.
    05-09-09 11:33 PM
    the 8320 beat the iphone in sales ignorant *****.
    05-09-09 11:40 PM
    I say of the pearl or curve, I would go with the curve, I have both of these and with the pearl I always had memory issues. And when you are low on memory your phone tends to not work properly. But with the curve I have a ton of apps and themes and still lots of memory. I couldn't be happier with my curve. JMO
    05-09-09 11:44 PM
    the 8320 beat the iphone in sales ignorant *****.
    1. It's the G1 vs. BlackBerry, not BlackBerry vs. iPhone.

2. I used the 8320 for 9 months. I know what I'm talking about. I had to do battery pulls every 6 hours. I became familiar with the hourglass and my device locking up. It was a great device, but the lack of stability killed it. There was not much free memory left. The 8900 is a much better device not counting its stability. Memory is a non-issue.
    05-09-09 11:46 PM
    Wow, thanks for all the input! :]

I think I'll go for the 8900�from what you've all been saying it's an awesome phone. The G1's tempting, but... I don't like beta for something I'll be stuck with for 2 years. I might try it out for a couple weeks and return it if I don't like though...

Thanks again! I had no idea Crackberry users were so active and welcoming... Just another reason to go BB. Thanks.
    Last edited by asbstephen; 05-10-09 at 12:32 AM.
    05-10-09 12:29 AM
    Wow, thanks for all the input! :]

I think I'll go for the 8900—from what you've all been saying it's an awesome phone. The G1's tempting, but... I don't like beta for something I'll be stuck with for 2 years. I might try it out for a couple weeks and return it if I don't like though...

Thanks again! I had no idea Crackberry users were so active and welcoming... Just another reason to go BB. Thanks.
    You've only got 14 days to return your device from the buy date if you plan to return the G1. The 8900 is a great device, you'll certainly enjoy it.
    05-10-09 12:59 AM
    Curve is just the well rounded phone. ITS AWESOME! I LOVE MINE =D
    05-10-09 01:34 AM
    seems the curve is wining
    05-10-09 01:38 AM
    You've only got 14 days to return your device from the buy date if you plan to return the G1. The 8900 is a great device, you'll certainly enjoy it.
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

And yes, the Curve 8900 definitely is winning. Also, I noticed New Egg had it for sale unlocked. Doing that and going contractless would be nice.

Thanks again everyone! This is definitely a forum I'll be participating in often, especially once I get my BB.
    05-10-09 10:47 AM
    Go with the 8900! I considered the G1, the behold, and the 8900 when I was upgrading, but the styling and features of the 8900 won out.

I just couldn't get with the size and shape of the G1 and my friend has a behold, so that was out of the question.
    05-10-09 10:25 PM
    I know a couple of ppl that went from a bb to a g1 and came right back .....
    the only cool thing about a g1 is the diff free apps you can get
    05-10-09 10:30 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD