I'm sure that this question has been asked before, but I don't think that it's in the same context as this. I have Gmail setup on my BB, and I really like it! Originally, I had it setup as POP, but after reading around on here about the benefits of IMAP (showing messages as "read" on the inbox, deleting messages, etc) I decided to give that a try, and I liked it even better! I didn't have a delay on recieving messages, they showed as read and I could delete them on the fly! I've also read on here about Gmail IMAP being slow (10 to 20 min) to recieve new mail, and this just started happening to me just the other day. I didn't originally think this would be a big deal to me, but when you're so used to getting your e-mail instantly, a 20 minute delay is aggrivating as ****! To make a long story short, I decided to change back to POP, and now I'm recieving my e-mails no problem.

So this leads me to my question. After I deleted my Gmail setup as IMAP on my BIS site, and re-set it up as POP, I went into my settings and checked "Synchronize deleted items between this mailbox and my device", which I had checked before when I had POP the first time, but it never did work properly, and for some reason, now it works perfectly! It delets e-mails whenever I tell it to on my BB. So, what I want to know is what are the benefits to using IMAP when by using POP, you can get your e-mails instantly, and you can delete them from your handheld, and they show deleted in your Inbox (only when you tell it to "delete from inbox and handheld" of course)?

Thanks for reading this, I get kind of long winded on my posts from time to time!
    02-25-09 10:41 AM
    Do they show up as unread when you access gmail on your PC, after you've read them on your BB?
    02-26-09 04:42 PM
    Yes with POP they do

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-26-09 05:05 PM
    POP will allow you to delete emails like that. When using IMAP and you read an email on your device then look at the account with a pc it will not show as a new email. It will mark as read. Deleting both ways shouldnt have been an issue before. I have instant IMAP ( less than a minute) so I cant say what others were having problems with.
    02-26-09 06:01 PM
    Yeah, my IMAP used to be instant, but then I started having a delay, so I switched back to POP, but before now when I did a delete from mailbox and handheld it wouldn't delete in my mailbox.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-26-09 06:43 PM
    Hmm, dont know but it wont hurt to set it up for IMAP again. I know there was some issues with the RIM and Gmail IMAP lately but it honestly hasnt affected me. Worth a shot at least. Let me know how it works out.
    02-26-09 07:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD