Hi all, I purchased a my 3rd BB two days ago, and I absolutely love it. I have the Bold 9930. With all the recent talk from media outlets about a possible split or new management for the company, what do you all believe to be the future for RIM/Blackberry?

I have 10 days to exchange this phone if I need to (Under a two year contract until 06/2013), possibly to iPhone or Android. Should I stick with BB, or make the switch now before worse happens? I fear I won't be able to switch my BB in time in case anything happens.

I ask for advice/help. Thanks in advance!
    10-12-11 12:07 PM
    Personally I'd stick with the BB, I just got a 9900 about a month ago and have also have a Samsung Galaxy S2 (for six months now). Both phones are brilliant devices, but I find I use the 9900 more than the S2, reasoning behind this is the keyboard and it is by far the best communicating device on the planet. I work with phones I need the best device for email, communicating and social and nothing can touch a BB for this!

Now the S2 is still an excellent device for games, sat nav, movies, etc. but as a communicating device it cannot touch the 9900, out of the eight staff that work with me we have four BB's, three S2's & only one iPhone (and the guy only got it as to be able to give iPhone support to our customers).

I would go for the BB first and S2 second, iPhone's are for people who are trying to compensate or want to be think there better than everyone else. iTunes is probably one of the worst programs I have ever used, I honestly like Google though as you can have everything centrally e.g. emails, calender, doc's, media, sat nav; and it all works with my BB too.
    10-12-11 12:22 PM
    Personally I'd stick with the BB, I just got a 9900 about a month ago and have also have a Samsung Galaxy S2 (for six months now). Both phones are brilliant devices, but I find I use the 9900 more than the S2, reasoning behind this is the keyboard and it is by far the best communicating device on the planet. I work with phones I need the best device for email, communicating and social and nothing can touch a BB for this!

Now the S2 is still an excellent device for games, sat nav, movies, etc. but as a communicating device it cannot touch the 9900, out of the eight staff that work with me we have four BB's, three S2's & only one iPhone (and the guy only got it as to be able to give iPhone support to our customers).

I would go for the BB first and S2 second, iPhone's are for people who are trying to compensate or want to be think there better than everyone else. iTunes is probably one of the worst programs I have ever used, I honestly like Google though as you can have everything centrally e.g. emails, calender, doc's, media, sat nav; and it all works with my BB too.

Wow, what a broad and judgemental statement. That's actually offensive. I'm sure there are a select group of people who have iPhones because they look cool, but what about the select group of people who get BlackBerries to try to look like important business tycoons? Did you ever think someone wants to use an iPhone because it works for their needs?

I use and am switching to iPhone because it is what I want out of a phone, not for social status or to compensate for something I don't have or because I think I'm better than anyone else (which I'm not).

If you don't like iTunes, that's your personal preference, but making a very broad and over the top statement about a group of people like that is really quite rude and ignorant. You're the one who sounds like you're trying to be better than everyone else.
    Last edited by moiselles; 10-12-11 at 12:34 PM.
    kbz1960 and anon(4021844) like this.
    10-12-11 12:27 PM
    Hi all, I purchased a my 3rd BB two days ago, and I absolutely love it. I have the Bold 9930. With all the recent talk from media outlets about a possible split or new management for the company, what do you all believe to be the future for RIM/Blackberry?

I have 10 days to exchange this phone if I need to (Under a two year contract until 06/2013), possibly to iPhone or Android. Should I stick with BB, or make the switch now before worse happens? I fear I won't be able to switch my BB in time in case anything happens.

I wouldn't worry too much about the state of RIM. Yes, things are a bit shaky, but there are tons of businesses and people that rely on them. Every business has its ups and downs.

If you love the phone, then definitely keep it! The 9900/9930 is the only BlackBerry I'd think of owning at this point. But that's just my preference.
    10-12-11 12:29 PM

I don't think that you'll have to worry about RIM going belly up any time in the next year or so. Beyond that, who knows. No one thought Chrysler would go bankrupt either...

You should try out the different devices and find what works for you. I personally have been a BB user for years, but I am jumping ship and moving to iOS for Christmas. I'm going to buy an iPhone4S for myself for Christmas and am looking foward to it. I've played with several iPhones and I'm impressed at what they can do vs what my BB can do. Right now, with the outage, my BB is making for a lovely paperweight on my desk. It's keeping my coding book open while the fan blows in the background.

I would go for the BB first and S2 second, iPhones are for people who are trying to compensate or want to be think there better than everyone else. iTunes is probably one of the worst programs I have ever used, I honestly like Google though as you can have everything centrally e.g. emails, calender, doc's, media, sat nav; and it all works with my BB too.
    That's a bit of a stretch. I don't think I'm better than everyone else and I know several people who'd agree, including the poster above me who disagreed with your statement as well. It is insulting. It's the same thing as every 40ish man with a convertible is going through a mid life crisis.

I like the way the iPhone is designed and how fluently it works. There are no spinning clocks on an iPhone like on my BB. There weren't any lags when swapping apps on both iPhones I played with unlike my BB which can take up to 30 seconds to type two words in a text. I type a letter, it freezes for 10 seconds. Another letter, another 10 second lag. Nothing like that on the iPhone.

You're the one who sounds like you're trying to be better than everyone else.
    This.
    anon(4021844) likes this.
    10-12-11 12:37 PM
    I would recommend you to think again the actual reasons why you like to use a BB.
    If you genuinely think that 'those specific reasons' can be fulfilled by another device, then you can think ahead about changing your device.

Rest, RIM has problems. Of course like any major company would.
    And the recent outages and media bad mouthing would have tarnished the image to a very large extent.
    A few weeks after the current issues are solved, everything will be forgotten, good and fine.

Within these 10days, you can ponder over the above 'reasons' that tie us with a Blackberry.
    10-12-11 01:21 PM
    RIM are not going anywhere. Wait for the DevCon and see how things start to turn around from there. Google is always going to be the majority player in smartphones as there is so many and from the cheapest to high end. Apple is probably going to remain #2 in some markets. Particulary the US.

However, RIM is able to overtake the iPhone and become worlds #2 very easily with what's coming. I look forward to hearing how growth has improved with OS7 in Q3. And remain at the spot of #1 in some markets (they are in many) #2 in the world and #3 in the US.

Keep the phone. RIM are here to stay.
    10-12-11 01:45 PM
    RIM are not going anywhere. Wait for the DevCon and see how things start to turn around from there. Google is always going to be the majority player in smartphones as there is so many and from the cheapest to high end. Apple is probably going to remain #2 in some markets. Particulary the US.

However, RIM is able to overtake the iPhone and become worlds #2 very easily with what's coming. I look forward to hearing how growth has improved with OS7 in Q3. And remain at the spot of #1 in some markets (they are in many) #2 in the world and #3 in the US.

Keep the phone. RIM are here to stay.
    I'm sorry, I like BlackBerry and want them to do well, but I just don't see the QNX device as "overtaking" or out selling the iPhone devices, at least not here in the US.

The mass market of regular mobile phone users don't know what DevCon is or what QNX is, let's get real. Heck, they don't even care if their phone brand is #1 in the market. They buy what works for them. You have all these people using BlackBerries and iPhones for various reasons, partly due to brand loyalty, but most because they just like the OS platform. The majority of BlackBerry users love their BlackBerry for the keyboard and communication. If the QNX device is full touch, well that might be a large part of the BlackBerry market that won't switch because they need their keyboard.

iPhone and Android users could be tied to their apps and because they are comfortable with their phone's current OS. Hey, you spend enough money on apps, music, TV shows, movies to view on your mobile device, why would you switch? Many iPhone users also have a Mac and/or iPad that they have tied in with their iPhones... what a big hassle to change cell phones if you have everything synced perfectly with the same brand and it works wonderfully for you.

I would like BlackBerry to do well and I don't understand why this has to be a huge competition of BlackBerry vs. iPhone vs. Android all the dang time, but realistically, I just don't think QNX is going to be this "savior" phone everyone thinks.
    Caymancroc likes this.
    10-12-11 03:50 PM
    I'm sorry, I like BlackBerry and want them to do well, but I just don't see the QNX device as "overtaking" or out selling the iPhone devices, at least not here in the US.

[snip]

I just don't think QNX is going to be this "savior" phone everyone thinks.
    I'm with you. Too little, too late.
    10-12-11 03:53 PM
    My advice is to switch. I did that and am satisfied.
    10-12-11 03:55 PM
    Personally i like the 9930 its a really nice device but really whats your preference? seems that droids mostly touchscreen some keyboard devices and apple full touch screen? and what do you use your phone is it communication or entertainment or what?
    10-12-11 04:07 PM
    It comes down to personal taste and what the phone can do for you. If you like your blackberry, stay with it. Don't base your purchase on what the future may hold for you. enjoy the now! (that's if you can, RIM's service is currently down even in Canada, can send BBM's but the other person is not receiving)
    I got so sick of my Storm that I bought an iPhone 3GS (this is going back a few years ago) I only use the Storm for work related e-mails and OCS, and for everything else I use the iPhone.
    Last edited by Shlooky; 10-12-11 at 04:50 PM.
    10-12-11 04:46 PM
    Well look ...
    no one can ever make a good choice better then YOU !

lemme help ya a bit .. so after all the 9900 is great clean device and i can see that everyone loves it ^^ .. so there are no Side Affects on this one .. So its ALL about what you want ..

Like for me .. i just want messaging and Media ((MP3 Mostly)) and a good Keyboard soo of course i would choose the 9900 over every phone =D

But maybe you want some Customizing !! or a good Camera .. or you want Fast Browsing and Movies or anything else ! ... That how you would choose Android =) ,, *if i had to take another device i would Choose Android..*

And maybe you Just want it Simple ! ... Easy and Clean and Pretty much Basic and Friendly and FULL of Apps !! .. you should Choose the iPhone =D ..

Good Luck ^^ .. and Remember you're lucky though that you can Try BB for 10 Days while here you can't ,, but i guess you choose the wrong time xD
    10-12-11 05:15 PM
    I exchanged my Iphone for a BB and I am quite happy about my decision. If you want to play...go Iphone but if you want to work / beeing connected stick with the BB.
    MetalxAssassinx likes this.
    10-12-11 06:08 PM
    Ok, maybe I just got a little hot under the collar but I just know too many people with iPhone's that have to let everyone know that they have an iPhone. Like its only a phone at the end of the day, but we have customers coming into us saying "ohhh, facetimes never being done before" and then you tell them that video calling has being out for some whilst but they refuse to believe Apples marketing lies. Yes the iPhone may do things quite flawlessly but it does it at the expense of functionality, e.g. I can video call / video skype any of my mates around the world with a 3G connection, an iPhone you have to have a wifi connection too; not everywhere in the would has a multitude of wifi hotspots.

I like the way the iPhone is designed and how fluently it works. There are no spinning clocks on an iPhone like on my BB. There weren't any lags when swapping apps on both iPhones I played with unlike my BB which can take up to 30 seconds to type two words in a text. I type a letter, it freezes for 10 seconds. Another letter, another 10 second lag. Nothing like that on the iPhone
    There may be no spinning clocks on an iPhone but there is noticeable lag if you time it, the only reason people complain about the spinning clock is because you can see it hence it makes it 'feel' longer. Plus I'm guessing your talking about the cheaper blackberries, I've had a 9700 and now a 9900 and never had any of the issues you bring up above.
    MetalxAssassinx likes this.
    10-12-11 06:57 PM
    Wow, what a broad and judgemental statement. That's actually offensive. I'm sure there are a select group of people who have iPhones because they look cool, but what about the select group of people who get BlackBerries to try to look like important business tycoons? Did you ever think someone wants to use an iPhone because it works for their needs?

I use and am switching to iPhone because it is what I want out of a phone, not for social status or to compensate for something I don't have or because I think I'm better than anyone else (which I'm not).

If you don't like iTunes, that's your personal preference, but making a very broad and over the top statement about a group of people like that is really quite rude and ignorant. You're the one who sounds like you're trying to be better than everyone else.
    THAT sounds like a response from anyone who owns Apple anything.
    10-12-11 07:04 PM
    Worldwide RIM has outsold Apple in smartphones almost every quarter until recent ones. With a 70 million user base, its not unthinkable that RIM could continue to outsell Apple in smartphones worldwide, but I highly doubt this will happen in the US where Apple's image and marketing trumps everything and everyone and I doubt RIM will get major carriers to subsidize their phones as much as Apple does thus always making Apple more profitable.

As for why people buy iPhones, well everyone is different. Whatever the reasons, I think its in the minority of people buy it just for some social status, but Apple products in general, there are some people that actually do buy them for that reason among others.

I am surprised the iPhone4S preorders are the highest ever, its as if no one stops and thinks when these Apple products come out. On the surface its pretty much the same phone. Sure there are enhancements under the hood, but tangible enhancements that people notice or use or apply in real everyday use, there are virtually none.

As for BB's, the new phones greatly improved the flaw of slow browsing on past BB's by getting up to par. Sure still no flash, a mediocre app world, but still the best communications device of them all (despite the outage hiccup today) and now a pretty good browser along with some of the best keyboards ever to grace a smartphone...
    10-12-11 07:08 PM
    THAT sounds like a response from anyone who owns Apple anything.
    No, it sounds like someone who finds ignorant statements about large groups of people to be offensive. Anyone, Apple fan, RIM fan, etc should be offended by those kinds of broad, insulting statements.

I like BlackBerry and I like Apple. Yes, that is possible.
    10-12-11 07:11 PM
    Just enjoy what you purchased. if not, exchange it for something else. No need to rant about it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-12-11 08:10 PM
    Speak for yourself. Some of us like to read a good rant.
    10-12-11 08:12 PM
    I like BlackBerry and I like Apple. Yes, that is possible.
    Must be a hybrid with a little TOO much Apple-ness based on THAT condescending comment.
    10-12-11 08:49 PM
    Must be a hybrid with a little TOO much Apple-ness based on THAT condescending comment.
    I just don't understand how hard it is to believe that someone can like two different phones. I like more than one kind of ice cream, I like more than one color, etc. It's not hard to like multiple products. I'm switching back to iPhone because it's what I want for my lifestyle now. Maybe later I'll switch back to BlackBerry. There is nothing wrong with that. I'm not telling anyone here to switch to iPhone. I actually told the OP that if he loved his BlackBerry he should keep it.

I wasn't being condescending. You were being close-minded and snide.
    10-12-11 09:05 PM
    I just don't understand how hard it is to believe that someone can like two different phones. I like more than one kind of ice cream, I like more than one color, etc. It's not hard to like multiple products. I'm switching back to iPhone because it's what I want for my lifestyle now. Maybe later I'll switch back to BlackBerry. There is nothing wrong with that. I'm not telling anyone here to switch to iPhone. I actually told the OP that if he loved his BlackBerry he should keep it.

I wasn't being condescending. You were being close-minded and snide.
    Merp merp. I don't care about the phones, it's not about that. If it were, I wouldn't have made any comments at all. It's just, based on what I've read that you've posted, it conveniently falls into place with the mentality of OTHERS I have talked to who use the same device as you. That's why I said what I said.

I AM sorry though, it has been a rough day. I don't mean to offend you or anything. What I read irked me and I had to comment - that's all!
    10-12-11 09:15 PM
    Merp merp. I don't care about the phones, it's not about that. If it were, I wouldn't have made any comments at all. It's just, based on what I've read that you've posted, it conveniently falls into place with the mentality of OTHERS I have talked to who use the same device as you. That's why I said what I said.

I AM sorry though, it has been a rough day. I don't mean to offend you or anything. What I read irked me and I had to comment - that's all!
    I like to think I play for both teams. Because I honestly like both BlackBerry and iPhone.

No worries, I wasn't particuarly offended, maybe slightly put-off. I just get too passionate sometimes. All is well. Hope your night gets better!
    10-12-11 09:25 PM
    I like to think I play for both teams. Because I honestly like both BlackBerry and iPhone.

No worries, I wasn't particuarly offended, maybe slightly put-off. I just get too passionate sometimes. All is well. Hope your night gets better!
    That's my problem as well! I care more than I should about silly little things.

Thank you though! Have a good night!
    10-12-11 10:08 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD