I am a long-time fan of BlackBerry, who went Android because I was tired of feeling left out of the app craze sweeping smartphone users. The final straw for me was when I was getting a haircut and noticed Great Clips was advertising a reservations app - but only available for iOS and Android. In fact this was one of the first apps I downloaded after I bought my first non - BlackBerry, a Samsung Note. Of course the app worked well enough, but wasn't nearly as spectacular and useful as I'd expected.

The main point of this post, though is to point out that security is, IMHO, the USP for Blackberry 10. It will only take one catastrophic hack to iPhone or an Android device to remind the public of the importance of mobile security. There is a reason celebrities use BlackBerries - remember back in the day when Paris Hilton had some photos on her phone hacked?

Also, BlackBerry got a huge boost from the reliability and security of the system during the 911 attacks. Blackberries proved better at maintaining communication during that crisis, leading to greater a adoption by US government.

Today we live in a world that's become complacent about mobile security. I'm already seeing talk of Ubuntu and Tizen entering the mobile space this year, leading to further fragmentation, which will lead to even more fragmentation as enthusiasts build custom Ubuntu ROMs, and so on. This kind of confusion in the mobile space will increase corporate unease, leading IT departments to stay with mobile OSes with proven security track records. Especially RIM.

As I said above, it world take one Black Swan in the forum of a catastrophic hacking attack against one or more of the current market leaders to bring people back to BlackBerry. The new BlackBerries have beautiful designs, boundless business and entertainment utility. But ultimately, the vaunted BlackBerry device and communications security will be what brings the masses back.
    Last edited by android2bb10; 01-08-13 at 01:00 AM.
    narci, Lehomer and kemj like this.
    01-08-13 12:37 AM
    Do consumers care about security? I don't know so much.
    01-08-13 02:23 AM
    You may need to read this post again. He's not talking about your average consumer.
    But as your average consumer I do care. As soon as things are in place I will be an early adopter of NFC payments. I'm not looking to send my bank account to some Russian mafia in New York. Thanks
    01-08-13 04:40 AM
    You may need to read this post again. He's not talking about your average consumer.
    But as your average consumer I do care. As soon as things are in place I will be an early adopter of NFC payments. I'm not looking to send my bank account to some Russian mafia in New York. Thanks
    . But ultimately, the vaunted BlackBerry device and communications security will be what brings the masses back.

Hmmm. The word "masses" seems to indicate he was referring to consumers. Thanks for playing though.
    01-08-13 04:49 AM
    "As I said above, it world take one Black Swan in the forum of a catastrophic hacking attack against one or more of the current market leaders to bring people back to BlackBerry."

By talking of a Black Swan event, he's not thinking it's going to happen to me.
    Additionally he's referring to a future event, until witch time it looks like he believes the masses may stay put. To answer your first question.
    01-08-13 04:56 AM
    oh you know there is nothing to argue about and people are bored when they begin to argue semantics.....the OP has a seriously valid point
    01-08-13 08:16 AM
    if security mattered then blackberry wouldnt be in this position now.
    a major hack may see blackberrys shift, but that would only be temporary.
    the general public is too nonchalant when it comes to security.
    i think productivity is something that blackberry can argue at being king, and is more likely to attract people.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    01-08-13 09:32 AM
    Maybe you should ask the users of the Samsung Galaxy 3 that are being affected by the "Sudden Death " syndrome.........
    01-08-13 09:39 AM
    Interesting that as one who cares about security you're willing to be an early adopter of NFC. I'm still in the learning mode about NFC but one of my major fears is losing my phone (which has happened in the past) or having it stolen and a stranger going to town with my bank account.

Like I said, maybe I just need to do more research but from what I've read so far I'm not entirely at ease yet.
    01-08-13 10:11 AM
    I don't think "Average Joe" has any real interest in security, not even nearly. So as long as there won't be any security based prime desaster, majority of people don't bother. No matter if it is Facebook, Whats App or Instagram changing their service terms - memberships and users keep growing. Just showing most people simply don't care.
    01-08-13 10:19 AM
    I don't think "Average Joe" has any real interest in security, not even nearly. So as long as there won't be any security based prime desaster, majority of people don't bother. No matter if it is Facebook, Whats App or Instagram changing their service terms - memberships and users keep growing. Just showing most people simply don't care.
    Facebook seems to have slightly declining numbers in the UK and US. I doubt that's due to security, but privacy concerns may have had some effect.
    01-08-13 10:20 AM
    Unfortunately, RIM cannot bank on this happening. Security breaches have occurred already, and it didnt bring people back in droves. Anything that is sizable enough to make national news would likely be something that affects corporations, or those using BYOD at work, rather than consumers. Something that widespread will definitely have an effect, but not the kind you are wanting.

RIM will have to win consumers back one at a time, and get their carrier partners to actually SHOW the device, get the sales reps to LIKE the device, and get them to use it. Putting a BB10 device in the hands of consumers is the only way this will turn RIM around.
    01-08-13 10:22 AM