With the recent success of the iPhones and Android phones do you think after the new bold comes through Blackberry will solely make phones like the Torch and Storm or do you think they will still make the classic Blackberrys with full keyboards and no touchscreens? I was just wondering this because on the At&t website (excluding the hp IPAQ and Blackberry Torch) Blackberry phones are the absolute only smart phones without touchscreens they sell.
    10-31-10 01:02 PM
    The QWERTY keypad has evolved as the most practical solution to creating words on media. Many users consider it absolutely critical to reduce their thoughts to writing and to communicate them. Very few executive and professional uses will choose to handicap themselves with only a touch screen and virtual keyboard. Those are the users that will insure the future of BlackBerry and the patented keyboards.

The current generation of touch screens are great at showing off pictures, video and internet content with the flip of a finger. Typing is pretty much limited to reply to messages or IM with friends/co-workers.

Keyboard, Touch and Touch/Slider... a model for every need.

10-31-10 01:18 PM
    i think keeping a full qwerty keypad will be key for BlackBerry, its their `bread and butter` market, as for the future, well id love to see a bold 9000 sized device with keypad, trackpad, touchscreen and QNX OS (playbook), as that would be me very very happy
    10-31-10 01:22 PM
    Adding a touch screen to everything in their lineup would be fairly smart as a strategy to help revitalize things. There are some things, such as zooming, scrolling through webpages/larger documents that I've found a touch screen to be incredibly handy for. I hope they don't ever make more clicky touch screens though, just regular nice capacitive ones like everybody else makes.

As to functionality, there are many serious people out there who use touch screen only devices and are perfectly happy. I use my virtual keyboard as much as the physical one on my Droid 2. I've been known to hammer out some pretty long emails on my mobile devices.
    10-31-10 03:16 PM
    i think keeping a full qwerty keypad will be key for BlackBerry, its their `bread and butter` market, as for the future, well id love to see a bold 9000 sized device with keypad, trackpad, touchscreen and QNX OS (playbook), as that would be me very very happy
    I might like that too. Extra points if it has a big a$$ battery!
    10-31-10 03:51 PM
    I have been criticized and in some cases insulted because I call any device other than the BlackBerry a toy. But to be honest they are all toys because they don't offer me any of the serious stuff the BB does.
    They all offer serious stuff. Your BB just has what you need and that's all their is to it. You called other devices toys because they had higher resolution screens. That's why you got insulted. ....

What is not serious about Apple/Android offering a better exchange experience than a BB does? You use BES I'm guessing? If so, you are negating the other devices functionality because you are tied into RIMs network.

Plenty of business professionals get work done on Android and iPhone devices. Just because you can't you assume they are toys. ...

But back to the topic, I would love RIM to update the 9000. It is my favorite BB to date and has the best QWERTY keyboard out of any mobile device I have ever used.
    Last edited by avt123; 10-31-10 at 05:09 PM.
    10-31-10 05:06 PM
    They all offer serious stuff. Your BB just has what you need and that's all their is to it. You called other devices toys because they had higher resolution screens. That's why you got insulted. ...

What is not serious about Apple/Android offering a better exchange experience than a BB does? You use BES I'm guessing? If so, you are negating the other devices functionality because you are tied into RIMs network.

Plenty of business professionals get work done on Android and iPhone devices. Just because you can't you assume they are toys. ...

But back to the topic, I would love RIM to update the 9000. It is my favorite BB to date and has the best QWERTY keyboard out of any mobile device I have ever used.
    Agreed. I am glad you love BlackBerry, and the "professional" status that comes with it. However you calling every other device a "toy" is extreme arrogance and ignorance. Learn to accept new ideas and devices. There is a little good in every device. The Android OS is a really well written OS. Google has some great programmers. The hardware side of Android might be a bit but in no way is it a toy.

Oh and obviously, you guys know who this post is directed toward
    10-31-10 05:13 PM
    I am sick and tired of being called "ignorant" and "arrogant" and I am sick and tired of avt123 stalking me from my posts and attacking me every instant and I am also sick and tired of other users who kiss his ***.
    Keep in mind Droid = 0 gray matter...
    10-31-10 06:57 PM
    I am sick and tired of being called "ignorant" and "arrogant" and I am sick and tired of avt123 stalking me from my posts and attacking me every instant and I am also sick and tired of other users who kiss his ***.
    I'm sorry to say, friend, but if you can't find some pros for the other devices and insist they are "toys", then perhaps the labels you dislike are more fitting than you think.

The other thing to keep in mind is that Google is continually working at improving their OS. It hasn't been around nearly as long as RIM has been refreshing BB models. It is good now and gets better with every new OS update. To discount the idea that they're a serious player in the market and will make the changes it takes to gain consumer and corporate marketshare is pure folly.

For example, I believe they just rolled out the ability for a corporate admin to remotely wipe a device, and can do it from any internet connected computer in the world if/when it becomes necessary.

Even if you don't like the devices, you should keep an open mind because competition drives the marketplace. These devices will cause RIM to try to improve their deficiencies (again, face the facts, every platform has deficiencies unless you're a fanboy)...
    Last edited by the_sandman_454; 10-31-10 at 07:04 PM.
    10-31-10 06:59 PM
    Keep in mind Droid = 0 gray matter...
    Just like rabid fanboys who won't admit there are other viable options in the market = 0 gray matter. =)
    10-31-10 07:01 PM
    I have used the following devices for no less than 3 months:

Google G1 With Android
    iPhone 2G,3G and 3GS with IOS
    HTC HD 2 With Windows Mobile

I have made research on ALL operating systems on mobile phones and the conclusion I have reached is that non-BlackBerry phones are toys. They are not useful for business, they are good for multimedia. I own an iPod Touch because its a great multimedia device and I like having a toy on the side.

Every single time I use this phrase, people who are NOT using BBs at the moment, get personal and attack me. In my opinion they can go to a forum where their "toys" are made more than what they really are.
    That's like saying I've done research on all automobiles, and all automobiles that aren't Mercedes Benz are toys.

The thing you're overlooking in your sweeping generalization regarding toys is the fact that there is more than one way to skin a cat, and most devices out there will do a satisfactory job at whatever task you're going to do. Everything has quirks, even your beloved BB. I would venture to say as time goes on, BB's are becoming more like novelties. A company can't keep doing one thing and expect it to keep them at the top of the hill forever. There's not even a free PDF reader built into it. How business-like is that?

May not matter much longer for you anyway, since isn't Turkey potentially looking at banning BB or did they reach an agreement? Would be ironic if you got stuck using one of these toys, wouldn't it?

I'm not leaving btw, nor should any of the other android users. We are former BB users and may be again if they make one that meets our needs. Most of us don't go around calling BB's novelties and looking down our nose at BB users...
    10-31-10 08:01 PM
    I hope RIM continues to make BBs in the traditional style. Its my favorite form-factor and the most comfortable for me to use. Touchscreens are nice and sliders are even better, but the traditional BB is the best of them all for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-31-10 09:54 PM
    So because I happen to post in this and one other thread you were involved in I'm stalking you? That's a new one...

Try not to flatter yourself to much buddy.
    10-31-10 10:20 PM
    A smart/phone is a smart/phone to me. An OS is an OS. I don't care if it's android (Linux), iOS (BSD), BBOS, Windows Mobile/CE or WebOS (Linux) or how fast/slow the hardware is, the camera's MP or the amount of available memory to the user/to run applications in. If it works for you, don't get all hasty. Just use it and be thankful that you even have one because there are many things that could cut it to useless: Damage (crushed, burned, drowned/splashed, microwaved), theft, lost, service outages (minor, major, blackout).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-31-10 10:59 PM
    This guy is kidding, right?
    10-31-10 11:42 PM
    Galopagos islands? Darwin? Adapt or die? Can you be a canary for ever?
    10-31-10 11:49 PM
    Form factor wise, I think RIM has hit the nail on the head. The Pearl, Curve, Storm, Bold and Torch lines pretty much have something for everybody.

The future is going to lie in what they do with their OS and what type of hardware they're going to be putting onto their various form factors. I'm hoping the direction they took with the Playbook, with the QNX OS and the competitive modern hardware specs, is an indication of what lies ahead for their smartphones.
    11-01-10 12:17 AM
    Form factor wise, I think RIM has hit the nail on the head. The Pearl, Curve, Storm, Bold and Torch lines pretty much have something for everybody.

The future is going to lie in what they do with their OS and what type of hardware they're going to be putting onto their various form factors. I'm hoping the direction they took with the Playbook, with the QNX OS and the competitive modern hardware specs, is an indication of what lies ahead for their smartphones.
    We can only hope. I'd sure give BB another shot if they can pull off the QNX OS, current competitive specs, and a device like the Bold but with a higher resolution touch screen, or maybe make a horizontal slider out of the Storm series.
    11-01-10 12:37 AM
    I think this thread was created for the sole purpose of where its headed.
    11-01-10 01:02 AM
    AVT & BLC, KNOCK IT OFF! Ignore each other, but otherwise keep it off the public forums.

To invoke the ignore command, from the HTML site (easiest done from a PC), click on the User's name from a message, then select View Profile, then Click on User Lists, then Select Add to Ignore. There after you will not be able to see messages from that user, they will not be able to PM or email you thru CB, and they will not be able to post in threads you create. And vice versa.
    11-01-10 12:27 PM
    Then just stop. You can think you're right, and he can think you're right. Both of you are right in your own respects. But neither will shift because of you're background. You won't give up that blackberry's are the only serious phones, because that is your mental set. It's done. No matter what you'll always think that. This argument isn't going to get anywhere, so just drop it.
    11-01-10 01:56 PM
    Having just come back to Blackberry after a stint with an iPhone 3g and then a couple of Android devices (HTC Magic, Hero and Desire), I seriously hope that RIM has a future as qwerty-equiped devices are still the best thing for me.

Touchscreens are nice, and their ability to show photos etc, is great, but in general gettung things done (email, contacts, calendar, etc), my Bold 9700 is better than all of them.

The only thing that concerns me is the apps, or more accurately, the price of them. Maybe it's because there are fewer of them, but apps that are �1 on the iPhone or Android are �8 on the Blackberry (thinking here about my recent search for a geocaching app) and the buying experience in the BB app market is no-where near as good as the Apple or Android version.

If BB want to maintain their position then I think that apps, price and availability needs to be addressed.
    11-01-10 01:58 PM
    Touchscreens are nice, and their ability to show photos etc, is great, but in general gettung things done (email, contacts, calendar, etc), my Bold 9700 is better than all of them.

email, contacts, calendar, etc. are MUCH better on my Storm than any other BB I've tried.

If BB want to maintain their position then I think that apps, price and availability needs to be addressed.
    BB needs to do MUCH MORE than maintain their (losing) position (Apple just passed them.)

They need to step up to the front of the line!!
    Last edited by Mike_is_Mike; 11-01-10 at 02:12 PM. Reason: dropped words
    11-01-10 02:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD